Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 278841 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1020 on: 18:17:22, 27/02/20 »
Yes, a couple of my local dog walking lanes are impassable right now.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1021 on: 19:38:54, 28/02/20 »
It was beautiful up on Dartmoor Wed and Thursday afternoons.  Just a smattering of snow and the low afternoon/evening sun.  O0

Stayed at home after work today though.  It's horrid.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1022 on: 17:21:56, 04/03/20 »
A fantastic 10 miles over the southern Howgills.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1023 on: 17:35:37, 04/03/20 »
A fantastic 10 miles over the southern Howgills.
Try from the N as I suggested - I have put up some great routes there and usually had the place to myself.  I have put the routes on the OS site, ViewRanger and Haroldstreet.org.  Also try the other Borrowdale opposite Tebay
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1024 on: 21:16:31, 04/03/20 »
Done The Loe again today.
Met a guy in a kilt, with way too much gear (his words), that was doing Most Southerly to Most Northerly points, via SWCP and the Welsh Coast.  Keep an eye out for him, he is quite distinctive.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1025 on: 21:41:30, 04/03/20 »
Try from the N as I suggested - I have put up some great routes there and usually had the place to myself.  I have put the routes on the OS site, ViewRanger and Haroldstreet.org.  Also try the other Borrowdale opposite Tebay

I fully intend to immerse myself in the northern approaches - been looking at the map tonight, in fact. Came down a ridge to the west today - lovely.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1026 on: 21:49:24, 04/03/20 »
Still pretty much confined to the lanes in Mid and North Devon as even the farmers are having trouble getting in and out of the fields.  On our walk from High Bickington yesterday we thought we might get away with shoes rather than boots but there is so much mud and water in the lanes we ended up playing hopscotch rather than walking.    Coming down a steep narrow lane a wagon stopped to let us squeeze by - a decision he regretted as he could not get going again, his wheels just spun on the mud on the road.
Looks like we may get another weather window tomorrow so we will try a walk from West Buckland.  Preliminary inspection via GoogleEarth indicates boots may well be de rigeur even though their will be tarmac under there somewhere.
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1027 on: 21:59:01, 04/03/20 »
thought we might get away with shoes rather than boots but there is so much mud and water in the lanes we ended up playing hopscotch rather than walking..................................
Looks like we may get another weather window tomorrow so we will try a walk from West Buckland.  Preliminary inspection via GoogleEarth indicates boots may well be de rigeur even though their will be tarmac under there somewhere.
I was wondering today if, rather than try and side step all the puddles, I might be better off just walking though the mud.
It was generally quicker and easier, though there were a couple of ones that were deeper than I expected, and did have to take a detour because the lake was higher than normal and flooded the path in a couple of places.
North wind in the morning and some cloud, not a good mixture.  Was thinking of heading up to the North Coast and along it for a bit (trying to make a ten mile circuit that includes a cafe or two), may change my mind in morning and just head south again.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

watershed

« Reply #1028 on: 22:02:38, 04/03/20 »
Went up Ronas Hill on Monday, the snow is melted and the ground very wet. No Snowy Owl, very low cloud so poor visibility.

Tuesday was just a 4.5 Mile walk about Lerwick, with the Mrs, to tick over.

Today was a nice cold but Bright day so took the Bus Down towards Sumburgh and walked back on the roads, to try out my "Noisy Knee", went well didn't push it to hard but kept a steady pace, with only two toilet stops.
Ended up doing an additional lap of Lerwick and completed 27.6 miles with 2969 feet ascent. 7 Hours 19 Min.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1029 on: 22:55:52, 04/03/20 »
...kept a steady pace, with only two toilet stops...
  Thank you for sharing  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1030 on: 08:49:51, 13/03/20 »
Lovely day, and we're not on lockdown yet, so we're off up Longsleddale, maybe up Branstree.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1031 on: 17:29:24, 13/03/20 »
Lovely day, and we're not on lockdown yet, so we're off up Longsleddale, maybe up Branstree.

Excellent walk - although the weather did let us down a bit when we were on the top. My first time up Longsleddale - lovely.

Yorci

« Reply #1032 on: 21:30:35, 13/03/20 »
On Wednesday I tried to go for a 4 mile or so wee bimble along Chee Dale in the White Peak area. I haven't been here for a long while and thought the break in the weather would be good. But the River Wye was a bit swollen.

The stepping stones that lead under the over hanging rock were underwater and impassible, so I had to climb back up to the Monsal Trail. It is a lovely and magical place at this time of the year with the heavy moss on the tree, giving them a nice accent. Hopefully we'll get a bit of a drier spell over coming weeks, and the river my recede, so I can revisit. It is a good walk in summer but I prefer the winter/spring.
Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1033 on: 00:51:17, 17/03/20 »
Beautiful walking weather Monday.  Mrs G and I drove up to Hartland Point and enjoyed an 8 mile circuit via East Tichberry, Stoke church where we stopped for a butty and a cuppa, then Hartland Quay.

Really nice day and a very happy MrsG. O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1034 on: 08:11:08, 17/03/20 »
One of my favourites - along the cliffs between Budleigh Salterton and Ladram Bay in glorious sunshine then back inland and along the river Otter popping into the farm shop at South Farm for vegetables fresh out of their own fields.
The owner expressed concern that 'in the current panic' people would come to steal vegetable direct from the fields!
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy