Author Topic: [Trip report] Malham and Goredale Scar  (Read 4584 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
[Trip report] Malham and Goredale Scar
« on: 22:00:58, 06/11/07 »
A well reported location in these ere parts so I won't go into too much detail. The weather was nice and sunny without being too hot which is always a bonus.

Ahh Malhamdale, a very pretty, walker friendly and easy going part of the dales, also the former home (or here abouts) home of Bill Bryson. An author whom I like a lot and who is a constant source of plagarism for me ..erm inspiration for me!  ;) *

Anyways, Malhamdale and Gordale Scar was the first walk on my recent tour of Yorkshire and it's environs. I knew it wasn't too challenging, being a family friendly kind of place, but that it had some interesting diversions as well.

Instead of sticking strictly to the tourist trails we decided to go over the top and down Malham Cove. So starting at the car park (SD 90063 62684) we did our usual trick of getting lost at the start of the walk! This is something we do a lot of, in towns and villages mainly, we can't find the start! We ought to trademark this trait.

We were supposed to follow the path through the wood to Gordale but instead took the road. Never mind, the Scar itself is marvellous with a rather nice scramble by the waterfall. Now we looked at this (no seriously we did) but couldn't decide which side the path ran. So discretion being the better part of staying dry... erm valour... we decided to back track and take the secret hidden path across the tops near the old ice cream van (SD 91280 63454).

The path across the top is a typical fells walk, but with some unusual rocks. They form lines like mini cliffs which provide a nice seat and diversion. As we approached the opposite side to the Cove, we sat down for a bite to eat and to take in the view (SD 89853 64139). The view of Malham Coves 'summit' looked intriguing. It didn't look quite right to me, so after eating we took the long way round so we could take a closer look. So off we went towards SD 89415 65519 and the Pennine Way.

Following the Way and not going to the Dark Side we found ourselves on a limestone pavement. A stunning one at that, the rocks, well, rocked under foot and the pavement covered a wide area. A truly remarkable sight.

Lingering a while we took in the view across the plateau, down the Cove and backtowards the Scar before heading back to the car and village. Casting one look back we agreed this was a good start to a weeks walking.

* Let the record show I am a published writer in my own right (well an ex-games journo anyway).

Shoes - Approach Shoes.

As usual maps reproduced with permission of Crown OS.

© Dazza
« Last Edit: 23:37:13, 02/10/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Re: [Trip report] Malham and Goredale Scar
« Reply #1 on: 22:18:06, 06/11/07 »
Great shots  O0 O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:28:30, 07/11/07 »
A truely breathtaking place, and a trip that you obviously enjoyed.

I think not knowing which side the path was on is a very credible excuse for not climbing up a waterfall. I believe you  ;)

Thanks!

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:09:48, 08/11/07 »
Thanks summit, I borrowed a mates Canon 400D for the trip as it's a camera I'm thinking of buying myself. Lens aside (cos I'll be after something with a wider range) I think I'll be getting one.

Blister, it was quite an easy amble but a very, very nice place, stunning but understated. The Top of Malham Cove being the real surprise.

As for the scramble - on the path back to Malham we were talking to a gent (must have been in his late 70's) who said he'd gone up the scramble by the waterfall (it's on the right btw) and said it wasn't that difficult. Learning that fact, like a good ex (games) journo I made my excuses and left  ;D

Next up I think it'll be the Cleveland Way (a coastal path) and probably Shining Tor (our practise for next weekend, unless we do somewhere else instead).

Ok, a quick shot from the Cleveland Way
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

kkm

« Reply #4 on: 10:30:20, 09/11/07 »
loved malham. if i remember right we went slightly wrong at this point on the pennine way. was one of my more favourte sections though :-) and this was the day after we had torrential rain, so was glad it was breezy and dried my stuff out.......

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:29:40, 09/11/07 »
Ok, a quick shot from the Cleveland Way

Ooo, a nice tantalising shot! I'll look forward to this report  ;)

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:33:48, 09/11/07 »
Have a look here for the route up the waterfall
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/w0094%20(Part%201).htm

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:05:00, 10/11/07 »
Thanks. We weren't looking ofr that kind of thing so probably just as well!
Dazza
--------

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy