Author Topic: Flat walks in the North East  (Read 1031 times)

Rianne

Flat walks in the North East
« on: 22:33:13, 29/12/18 »
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for some flat walks in the North East - preferably as close to/or in Northumberland as possible but I’m open to slightly further afield!

I have a knee injury and though I’m struggling with downhill I’m itching for a hike and would love a good 8mile + hike on flatter terrain to get me out and about!

Any suggestions would be great 😊!

geordie33

• Veteran Member
Re: Flat walks in the North East
« Reply #1 on: 08:34:38, 30/12/18 »
Flat walks up here are not easy to come by.
Your best bet is probably the Northumberland coast where there is some great walking to be had.
A walk round the coast of Holy Island is stunning and about 8 miles although this can be lengthened or shortened
The only flat area of Co Durham is the South East in the Sedgefield area.
Have you ever done the walk from Wylam to Newburn bridge ?
Very easy to navigate-simply walk down the Tyne -either side-then walk back on the opposite bank
About 7 miles and totally flat with lovely river views.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:16:59, 30/12/18 »

I stayed at Beadnell many years ago - there's footpaths along the coast all the way down to Craster and beyond, and this takes in beautiful Dunstanburgh Castle.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:36:04, 30/12/18 »
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for some flat walks in the North East - preferably as close to/or in Northumberland as possible but I’m open to slightly further afield!

I have a knee injury and though I’m struggling with downhill I’m itching for a hike and would love a good 8mile + hike on flatter terrain to get me out and about!

Any suggestions would be great 😊!

Try this Craster Circuit https://tinyurl.com/ychjm23m  

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:45:15, 30/12/18 »
For an adjacent walk then try from Howick Scar to Boulmer  right along the coast and if the tide is out  then some wonderful sandy bays to explore. Also just before Howick burn mouth the remnants of an archeologic dig for one if the oldest habitations on the British Isles.

The house on the sea there at Howick is the Bath House and was the summer home of Lady Grey ( you may have heard of Lady Grey tea) her Hubby Earl Grey is portrayed on top of Greys Monument in Newcastle and is celebrated in his tea also.
From Boulmer there us a walk known as the Dukes drive which passes Ratcheugh crag and ends in Alnwick.

A nice little walk would be Alnwick Castle to Hulne Abbey.

Too little, too late, too bad......

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:50:05, 31/12/18 »
Anywhere along the Northumberland coast should be fairly flat. We also stayed in Beadnell a few years ago and had a lovely walk south from there to Low Newton (the Ship Inn is a great lunch stop!). From what I recall it was about 7 or 8 miles return. We turned round there as thunderstorms were forecast for later in the day but you could continue to Dunstanburgh castle. Also heading north from Beadnell towards Seahouses. And a popular walk from Craster to Low Newton, 6 miles is on the National Trust website https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/embleton-and-newton-links/trails/craster-to-low-newton-coastal-walk

snoopdawg

« Reply #6 on: 19:01:40, 01/01/19 »
Fill your boots on the Derwent Walk from Swalwell up to Blackhill. Unnoticeable slight gradient along its 13 miles. You could get the bus back.

Good 7 mile there and back around the southern edge of the Derwent reservoir from Powhill car park, all on good manufactured paths.

The old railway line up on the moors by Waskerley is a level walk, about 4 miles up to Parkhead café and then back to the car park

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy