Author Topic: Pennine Way for the over 60's  (Read 127086 times)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way for the over 60's
« Reply #405 on: 22:32:38, 05/06/16 »
Yes Joyce and Colin at Byrness are the two nicest, honest and most helpful hosts I have ever met in more than 55 years of walking.
The two guys you met in the forest were Malc and Adam, the two that put me through purgatory recently during our Spine training the eldest of them is Malc who is 15 years younger than me and a stronger mountain walker i have yet to meet. They are also both very good Ironman Triathletes. Both relatively new to ultra distance walking, although Malc has finished the revised Spine 2015. Adam is a complete novice to it. They called it a day in Bellingham due to Adams skin parting company with the soles of his feet. Their target was Hawes to Kirk Yetholm in 4 days, they in fact managed 121 miles in 3.5 days.
I got a call from them at 8pm just as I was about to pour myself a Bacardi and Coke. Stranded in Bellingham, not the easiest of places to get away from.
I'm coming to get you i told them, next think I'm hammering it up the motorway and arrived at the pub in Bellingham 140 miles and a little over two hours later.
They stuffed a pile of notes in my hand, I told them I didn't want that much but they were having none of it and insisted.
I dropped them off at home at around 1.30am the following morning after a 280 mile round trip.
I didn't mind, in fact I quite I quite enjoyed the drive up while it was still daylight and I know that they would do the same for me, that's how it is with us.

nod2

« Reply #406 on: 14:22:44, 29/06/16 »
Completed the Pennine way on the 23rd of May. This was my first attempt at it. Had a fantastic time met some really nice people. I only walked 10 days out of 16 on my own. I had good weather mostly, only one really bad day, on Stoodly Pike it was blowing a gale, raining sideways and nearly blew me off. Hardly any boggy bits even on the Cheviots.

Really glad to complete but at the same time sad it was over, Thinking what to do next, maybe Offas Dyke.
Has anyone done it and is it worth doing.

Finished Offas Dyke on Wednesday, really enjoyed the walk but didn't get great weather. Hot humid , with a few big thunder and lightning storms (very scary when your high up  :o )
It took me 12 days, quite hard going at times

forest view

« Reply #407 on: 00:53:40, 15/08/16 »
Oohh Slogger and your Advocate you make us blush you say such kind things. I have missed this forum while I have been too busy to keep up. I have had a lovely summer meeting all of you guys as you passed through our neck of the woods (or more accurately Forest). Joyce & Colin
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #408 on: 22:45:09, 09/07/17 »
Evening,
Going to try for a second PW this year; north to south this time. I do recall Slogger reckoning it feels like quite a different walk this way round. One benefit is I get to enjoy Colin and Joyce's hospitality early on this time ;). Start 4 weeks on Saturday. I am going to shave a couple of days off the schedule this time. Firstly will do Hawes to Malham in one (never really liked Horton). May go a bit off piste here as I go up Penyghent on a regular basis. Secondly, Mankinholes to Old House, Torside. This is a bit of a trek and the old PW route from Swellands Reservoir to Black Hill shaves about 1.5 miles off the total. Anybody been over that path recently? Is the sogginess worth the effort?

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #409 on: 08:24:11, 10/07/17 »
This is a bit of a trek and the old PW route from Swellands Reservoir to Black Hill shaves about 1.5 miles off the total. Anybody been over that path recently? Is the sogginess worth the effort?

Not recently but I have done it many times in the past.IMO it is a far better route as it keeps to the high ground.A lot will depend on how the weather has been for the previous few weeks.After a very wet period it can become very soggy.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #410 on: 14:45:28, 10/07/17 »
Certainly the current route has quite a bit of gradient in it and as I recall from two years ago isn't the nicest section of the route. As you say Tony the old route seems to stick to higher ground. Unless it pours down for the next month I may well give it a go. It's just over miles in total. What could possibly go wrong... ;D

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #411 on: 14:45:55, 10/07/17 »

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #412 on: 20:15:58, 10/07/17 »
Johhny, yes I prefer it North to South, however that may be due to the incredibly good weather apart from the last day that i had compared to the very wet and windy conditions when I did South to North. If not bothering with Horton, you can go along the much improved track which leaves the PW before Sell Gill Holes on the left at a gate (the 3 Peaks race route) heading directly for Pen Y Ghent.
Dave.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #413 on: 20:10:38, 11/07/17 »
Looking forward to it now Dave. I reckon some of these days will feel quite different N-S and the beauty is that I can have another  run the "normal" way in a couple of years and it will hopefully feel different again. In the interests of variety I reckon I will try all the original routes also if it ain't too wet.
I must admit I got quite hooked on going off piste on the SWCP every now and again. It broke up some of the Cliffside monotony for an hour or two. That is a good track you mention near Penyghent. Think I did it a few years ago on the three peaks. Not sure whether to go a bit further across country to Malham. Know it isn't purist but there are a few routes round there that I haven't done.
Just the weather forecast to wait for...
John

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #414 on: 20:34:38, 11/07/17 »
Beware going off piste on Kinder.  In 2012 I took the original route up Grindsbrook and had no issues but there have been major attempts to halt erosion so this year I was faced with water filled ditches impossible to cross so had to make many detours to get around the heads of ditches.  Reckon it cost me a good hour  :(
Where there's a will ...

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #415 on: 20:32:17, 13/07/17 »
Yes Sussam, I think this was the day before you set off, when I came over the top from the Downfall heading for the top of Grindsbrook.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOjDtyXfRpYcDf0vcieOVuV8YKijfhzstp5wVUw

Although i suspect with the amount of re-seeding since then, the Peat may well be grass covered.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #416 on: 23:29:38, 16/07/17 »
Thanks Guys,
It was just to get a bit of variety into the second run really (and to cut a couple of miles off the Mankinholes - Old House section). I did Blenkinsopp but not  Hartleyburn last time; didn't do Padon Hill and took the track to Sleightholme farm so I have a few bits to do this time. Will do the old route to Black Hill as it looks interesting and think about Kinder. Have got a train from Edale at around 6pm and want an hour for a quiet pint at the end so will see how the clock is at the Downfall.
Have'nt walked since the middle of May so am going to ease myself into it and stay two nights at Colin and Joyce's O0

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #417 on: 23:21:51, 05/08/17 »
Six days to go before the off and the predicted heatwave from Spain has not arrived. In fact weather forecast is mildly moist to put it kindly. Has anyone been on sections of the PW in the last few days, and how wet are the wet bits?

john

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #418 on: 22:43:07, 11/08/17 »
Off we go. Great weather forecast. :-[

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #419 on: 06:12:43, 12/08/17 »
Hope it improves for you  O0
Where there's a will ...