Author Topic: Mans best friend...?  (Read 15096 times)

Mumf

Mans best friend...?
« on: 01:42:28, 20/12/16 »
Yes ...the clue was there in the title ...DOGS and what your personal experiences good or bad were in relation to them as a walking companion ?
I'm not in any walking club but I was just curious as to whether most walking clubs allow them or not .?
I grew up with dogs so I personally don't have any issues with them at all . Infact both my children and grandchildren have grown up with them and shared their basket .  :-* O0
I firmly believe that a well behaved four legged friend is a added attraction / bonus to any walk and if you like the outdoor lifestyle , then dogs are simply a part of it .

Your thoughts ...

A dog will love you for what you are ...and not for the clothes you wear .

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: Mans best friend...?
« Reply #1 on: 08:51:56, 20/12/16 »
Sadly my dog stays at home much of the time. I mainly walk in the Lakes and he can't be trusted with sheep. I find having him on the lead is no fun for me after several hours and positively dangerous on steeper or rockier terrain. He gets his longer walks in less exciting areas.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:19:16, 20/12/16 »
Same as Percy I'm afraid - occasionally take one of mine, but she has to be kept on a lead as she wants to play herding the sheep.  Also she is a pain in the neck in the car so I arrive frazzled at the start of a walk and just as frazzled when I get home!  The other one is getting on and has a habit of putting the anchors on when the walk is damp underfoot or chilly, or just interrupts a good snooze, so I fear I would end up dragging her round.  And, while I do like having them with me, I do like the solitude and lack of responsibility of walking alone!

MikeW

« Reply #3 on: 09:57:47, 20/12/16 »
Have had dogs for the last 20something years. This is my second, like the first she's a Collie [censored]. (edited to add that it seems I can't say that she is of the female persuasion lol)
Would find it hard to leave her behind.
I usually pack for a long mountain walk the day before. Once I start packing she's sat by the front door making sure that there is no possibility of me going through it without her noticing.
I wouldn't do half as much walking if I didn't have a dog. Maybe wouldn't even bother at all since my former human walking partner stopped walking.
She loves chasing squirrels though not so much rabbits and I allow this but can stop her chasing them at any time with voice commands.
She shows no interest in sheep / horses / cattle of any kind to the point that if they're stood on the path and stand still (rare for most cattle of course but it has happened with horses) she'll walk right underneath them between their legs as if they're not even there.
She seems to love going up the scrambly bits and in the mountains always wears a harness that I can hoist her up or lower her down in with a rope. Though she's not very keen on the initial going over the edge bit when being lowered.
She will attempt to pass most other dogs met along the way by going around them giving them a 3 or 4 meter berth and will even tolerate them coming up to her for a QUICK sniff but will snap at them if they show too much interest in her.
Unfortunately if she spends any extended time in the company of another dog such as going on a walk together she will end up attacking it unless it stays well away at all times. As so many walkers have dogs this severely limits my choice of human walking partners and ability to join group walks.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:30:14, 20/12/16 »
We had dogs as children but no longer. I don't mind meeting dogs on the trail as long as they don't bite me! The ones who ignore me are the greatest! What I dislike most are owners who tell me, that once their dog has bitten or threatened me, that somehow its my fault! The worse ones however are those who believe their dog speaks English, who shout and scream with no effect, their dog ignores them and in a panic from 100yds away then shout "Don't worry, he/she doesn't bite" and then I get bitten! Not fun!

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:15:48, 20/12/16 »
My old spaniel can only manage a couple of miles everyday, I sometimes go a bit further with him but it clearly tires him so generally leave him if I'm going further.He is not sheep friendly either so we stick to the woods rather than fields. My younger dog a beagle-beddlington cross is a typical terrier so stays on the lead unles I've got all day to wait for him ::) .My oh walks them up in the woods every day so if they get a walk with me too its a bonus.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Lolly

« Reply #6 on: 12:17:07, 20/12/16 »
We have a cocker spaniel, who, depending on where we're going, normally comes with us. She is always on her lead as she would run off if we let her loose!
Aiming high - one step at a time

Mumf

« Reply #7 on: 12:34:37, 20/12/16 »
We had dogs as children but no longer. I don't mind meeting dogs on the trail as long as they don't bite me! The ones who ignore me are the greatest! What I dislike most are owners who tell me, that once their dog has bitten or threatened me, that somehow its my fault! The worse ones however are those who believe their dog speaks English, who shout and scream with no effect, their dog ignores them and in a panic from 100yds away then shout "Don't worry, he/she doesn't bite" and then I get bitten! Not fun!

You must be the most unlucky walker I know . I have had dogs for 50 odd years . I have also boarded and walked thousands of customers dogs . Not once have I or any of my immediate family been bitten by any dog . Moreover , when one considers that I spend 12 or more hours a day in such an environment (in the company of dogs and walkers ) your bad experiences are truly exceptional .
Dogs that do attack and bite humans are classed as 'dangerous ' and legal proceedings could be pursued but after having checked my local areas stats (an area of over 100,000 ) the factual evidence annually is less than a dozen cases . O0

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:52:05, 20/12/16 »
Not that I have ever been bitten, although mildly attacked on occasions, if there are 12 people bitten out of 100,000 that does mean about 7,700 people are bitten every year.  I would add that I do have some concern over dog owners that allow their dogs to jump up at you, dirty your clothes and then tell you it is OK they won't hurt you.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:33:10, 20/12/16 »
Saw a quote in an obituary to Zsa Zsa Gabor that made me smile.

Diamonds are a girl's best friend, dogs are man's best friend. Now we know which sex is the cleverest.

Discuss.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mumf

« Reply #10 on: 13:46:51, 20/12/16 »
The social interaction and benefits of having a dog have been scientifically measured .

Those people who have a dog and stroke it often live on average 10 years longer .

Those who appreciate and stroke their latest designer jacket more .......

Are normally sectioned . O0 :D

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:36:17, 20/12/16 »
We've just handed over 2 parcels to a neighbour from a delivery guy. The neighbour said the guy won't deliver to his house because one of the dogs bit him. I guess we're going to be taking in parcels regularly then -glad I didn't take them over.  :o
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

sbt

« Reply #12 on: 16:09:31, 20/12/16 »
I always walk with my dogs. I have 3 Staffordshire Bull terriers.  On longer walks I will just take the youngest one but normally all 3 .

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:56:54, 20/12/16 »
I would add that I do have some concern over dog owners that allow their dogs to jump up at you, dirty your clothes and then tell you it is OK they won't hurt you.

Totally agree, especially when they say he's only a puppy. It was a St Bernard puppy and he put his muddy paws on my shoulders. I was not impressed.

I have been chased by loose dogs whose owners could not control them. A pair of Alsatians chasing you across a field is no joke. It is very frightening.

I have also been bitten by a large dog without warning. The dog came up beside me, no jumping or barking and the next thing I knew was his jaws were around my wrist. The bite was strong enough to break skin through my jacket.

I am now very wary of dogs.

Bring back a license, not for the dog but for humans to prove they are a fit person to own a dog and the human has been trained in how to train his dog.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:36:26, 20/12/16 »
I am a cat person myself, and i am very wary of dogs, having been bitten four times over the years.
The one that really stuck in my memory, was as far back as 1969, when i was living just outside Cardiff.
A neighbours large Alsatian dog, named Queenie, just rushed out of their front gates and bit me on the lower arm, it was a deep bite resulting in a visit to Cardiff Royal Infirmary.

It all happened so quickly, but i can remember it like it was yesterday, quite a frightening experience.

A friends border collie, also had a go at me.

Since then, i have been wary of any dog, that shows any signs of wanting to pla, or get friendly.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy