Author Topic: Wainwright's Coast to Coast for a beginner  (Read 2886 times)

annie oakley

Wainwright's Coast to Coast for a beginner
« on: 07:31:52, 07/01/17 »
Hi everyone.  I am a 63 year old Aussie woman.  I have booked to do a guided Coast to Coast hike in May.  To look at me people might think that I am fit but I am not.  I only spasmodically walk and am currently only doing the recommended 10,000 steps per day, and I play a bit of social tennis. The only long distance walking I have done in my mature years was Cradle Mountain (6 days) several years back.  Just wondering if there are some similar aged persons out there who have done the walk and perhaps were not as fit as others?  I would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions to prepare me for the walk.  I am kind of hoping it will be a pleasant experience, time to enjoy the scenery etc not a heads down trudge.  I have been thinking of doing this walk for a couple of years but now that is fast approaching I am getting a little nervous.  Any thoughts? Annie O

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Wainwright's Coast to Coast for a beginner
« Reply #1 on: 08:37:05, 07/01/17 »
Welcome :)

I suspect you will find several folk of 'a certain era' on here who have walked the C2C.

However, whether you'll be allowed a relaxed walk with plenty of time to absorb the scenery and enjoy it to the full will depend very much on the company you've booked with, the itinerary they've organised and even more on the personality of your guide. I hope you have areally great walk.
« Last Edit: 12:00:18, 07/01/17 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:36:17, 07/01/17 »
I suppose the best way to prepare for it is to go for walks of similar length to the days you will be doing on the Coast to Coast.  And in particular to go up some hills, as there are some quite steep bits along the way.  That is the mistake I always make; the hill behind my house isn't all that high or steep, and though I go up it fairly regularly, it isn't a great preparation for walking in the Lake District.
But I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it goes through some lovely country.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:26:32, 07/01/17 »
Definitely agree with Islandplodder re doing walks of similar day lengths and on hills.  Age doesn't matter as long as you prepare for it. I'm 58 and we walked the C2C 6 years ago, but we did the Pennine Way last year.  Training for them was definitely a key factor to completing them, we've done shorter, easier long distance paths that I didn't necessarily find easier as I hadn't done so much training for them.  We live in a flat part of the country so had to have a few weekends away on the hills in preparation. I walked just with my husband not in a group, though he is fitter than me, but pretty good at walking to my speed!  :D

Another couple of tips - make sure your walking boots are worn in and get used to the rucksack that you will be carrying (fully loaded). As you are doing a guided walk, I imagine you will have your luggage transferred each day, but you will still need a day pack for your lunch, water , waterproofs etc.

How many days are you walking it over?  You've still got plenty of time to train up for it.  Also, might be worth posting this in the Long distance walks section as you may get more replies there.

annie oakley

« Reply #4 on: 04:08:45, 08/01/17 »
Thank you to the people who have replied.  I guess I knew that I needed to increase my current walking programme in order to be prepared.  The trip is over 16 days, with shortest day walking 11 km and the longest day 26.5 km .

Also regarding the weather in May.  I am expecting that it will be on the cool side which will be wonderful.  We here in Brisbane have had some really humid days and the heat does not make the walking any easier. 

Another issue that concerns me is my hay fever. I have had a difficult time of it this year and I am hoping that the worst of the Spring in England. by the time I will be there, will be over.   I would love to hear from others who have an issue with hay fever and hiking in general.  Perhaps I should put this query under another topic? 

Any thoughts anyone?
Annie O

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:27:03, 08/01/17 »
We also walked it over 16 days, that should be manageable. I expect your shortest day is in the Lakes and the longest the day from Richmond? If so, the 26.5 km will be flat easy walking and you will be superfit by then anyway! Regarding the weather be prepared to expect anything. May should be a great time to do it but you could get heavy showers or could be a heatwave (though not as hot as you would get in Brisbane), you never know with the British weather! I'm afraid I can't help with hay fever as I don't suffer from it. I suggest you start a new topic in the General section re hay fever and spring walking.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:18:15, 09/01/17 »
Do you know what you are allergic to?  I know I find I only get hay fever in some places, generally worse in the South of England, and it tends to be May/June rather than spring.  With a bit of luck, whatever it is won't grow on at least some bits of the C2C, it goes through a few very different kinds of country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy