Author Topic: Cumbria Way  (Read 2176 times)

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
Cumbria Way
« on: 22:28:15, 24/05/17 »
Looking at this for next year over 8 days nice and easy milage and good supply of hostels and bunk barns. Any tips?
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Lazar

Re: Cumbria Way
« Reply #1 on: 00:24:41, 25/05/17 »
Its a lovely walk apart from the last bit into Carlisle, we did it over 5 days 4 hostels and a B&B plenty of accommodation.

staggerindragon

« Reply #2 on: 05:54:06, 25/05/17 »
Skiddaw House was a memorable place to stay.  Borrowdale YHA was also very well designed and run (spotted an otter right at New Bridge too!).  I was also happy I was early enough to stop for tea at High Park Farm (tea garden) just a bit before Colwith Force.
In Coniston YHA Holly How was ok, and Oaklands B & B was a comfortable stay-with a bathtub.  :)  I had thought about Torver but no one would offer a single night stay on a bank holiday weekend.  Have a great walk.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:56:08, 25/05/17 »
Might miss the last bit get my friend to pick me up where its still rural. I like Borrowdale stayed there on the Coast to Coast.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:12:49, 25/05/17 »
 out line
  1 Thurs / Fri Ulvaston  ½ day lowick bridge bus 5 miles Yha Conniston
  2 Fri / Sat Lowick bridge  bus  10 miles Yha Conniston
 3 Sat /Sun Coniston 10miles Elterwater Hostel  01539437245
 4 Sun / Mon Elterwater 11 miles YHA Borrowdale
  5  Mon / Tues Borrowdale 6 miles YHA Keswick
 6 Tues / Weds Keswick  miles7 YHA Skidaw House
  7 Weds/ thurs Skidaw 13 miles Hudscales camping barn  01768774301
  8  ?

« Last Edit: 19:20:35, 25/05/17 by madame cholet »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:33:16, 25/05/17 »
As said already, the first few miles are boring but the rest is great! I'll always remember the Cumbrian Way, that's when I was attacked by a bloke who was obsessed with the idea that I had stolen his bed in the Keswick YHA. He took a swing at me with a full wine bottle, but I ducked and escaped! Other than that I liked the walk a lot. It rained BIG 'cats and dogs' when I got to Coniston, never seen rain like it!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:52:42, 25/05/17 »
out line
  1 Thurs / Fri Ulvaston  ½ day lowick bridge bus 5 miles Yha Conniston
  2 Fri / Sat Lowick bridge  bus  10 miles Yha Conniston
 3 Sat /Sun Coniston 10miles Elterwater Hostel  01539437245
 4 Sun / Mon Elterwater 11 miles YHA Borrowdale
  5  Mon / Tues Borrowdale 6 miles YHA Keswick
 6 Tues / Weds Keswick  miles7 YHA Skidaw House
  7 Weds/ thurs Skidaw 13 miles Hudscales camping barn  01768774301
  8  ?

My first thought is that your Day 5 is only 6 miles and flat, so will probably take you a couple of hours to complete. I guess then you have time to look around Keswick but don't buy too much if you're carrying your own stuff ;-) Personally I'd combine days 5 and 6.

Also, when you reach Skiddaw House they will have sent you a code to access the Hostel if you arrive early as they don't open until 5pm and you'll be there before lunch if you're coming from Keswick

The last section from Caldbeck to Carlisle isn't exactly exciting as has been mentioned but it's something you'll want to do just to say that you've completed the Cumbria Way.

I did the walk last June and enjoyed it  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:59:43, 25/05/17 »
 Some good points  thank you Bricam I do love Keswick and haven't been there for years so planning to spend lots of time looking round and a tea room ect I've never been up Cat Bells either we missed it out when we did the Newlands Horseshoe so that's a possibility if the weather is fair. I can make 3pmh on local flat paths but I think Id struggle in the Lakes I've only got little legs. I've found on the Coast to Coast and some of the Cleveland Way that I would have liked time to stop and look at stuff more but had too many miles to cover we self cater so one more night costs very little extra. No sure if I'll bother with the last section if its that grim I'll decide at the time.
« Last Edit: 21:46:46, 25/05/17 by madame cholet »

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:19:27, 26/05/17 »

I didn't mind the last bit into Carlisle.  It is easy walking up a cycle path, and brings you out quite satisfyingly into the middle of town, quite near the station.  I thought it rounded off the walk from one end of the Lakes to another quite well.     
Just to put another point of view.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:49:35, 28/05/17 »
Ive done the CW several times in both directions. Last year I went South to North and from Skiddaw House took the Dash waterfall route. This was a mistake as the harder but by far the best way is the route over High pike. I have only ever done the full route as a non stopper, in one go but personally I don't find any of it boring apart from the tedious track and tarmac of the dash route. Don't cut it short its rural all the way, but make sure you go over the correct bridge approaching Carlisle or you will end up in the jungle as I did last time.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:34:27, 28/05/17 »
Ah, I'm so glad that I'm not the only person who has done this. Somehow I ended up on the wrong side of the river at Buckabank(?) and when I realized it I looked at my map and saw there was a path on both sides of the river.

One ripped tshirt and many cuts later, I emerged onto the correct path.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:25:09, 28/05/17 »
Yes, my mistake was to go across the first  bridge at the layby road end, instead of the next one. there was a path on the other side but massively overgrown with above head height vegetation.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 06:45:42, 30/05/17 »
Thanks for the tips I've just email my friend who likes the idea too.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy