Author Topic: Maps  (Read 4765 times)

mananddog

• Veteran Member
Re: Maps
« Reply #30 on: 12:44:27, 31/07/17 »

Waterproof map case usually with printouts stuffed down my t-shirt. GPS in rucksack rarely used. Last couple of walks even the map stayed in my rucksack, when in Snowdonia if the weather is good I rarely need a map.

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
Re: Maps
« Reply #31 on: 09:11:30, 02/08/17 »
Having just been reading a thread on recommendations for trousers... and it seems there were quite a few recommending the Kiwi Pro Stretch trousers it has spurned me to ask the question of....

... Where do you you store your walking map if the trousers you are wearing does not have a map (and compass) pocket?  :-\

I have the Kiwi Classic trousers which has said pocket on the right thigh.  I find this pocket so useful but I have wondered to myself how I would store the map if I had different trousers (many I notice do not have this pocket) - I couldn't do with having a map bag around my neck and couldn't be doing with stopping frequently to get the map out of rucksack to check it either.

Probably a daft question, but I've pondered this for a while now  :)
Cheers
Lee

For me the main things for map stowage are a) ease of accessibility b) protection from the elements. I like to have the map at hand so will often slip into a large thigh pocket on my walking trousers or if the weather is wet then it certainly goes in a quality waterproof case to which I use an Ortlieb. http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/ortlieb-map-case-e9214007

I don't really like having it dangle from my neck as invariably wind will blow it around making it a nuisance.

roll on the weekend

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy