Author Topic: Old Dungeon Ghyll parking - advice please  (Read 6664 times)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Old Dungeon Ghyll parking - advice please
« on: 11:03:25, 02/08/17 »
I'm going to be based in Keswick and considered using public transport to ODG to avoid the hassle of parking. However I would have to leave ODG on the 5 PM bus to get a connection back to Keswick. Knowing me I could still be faffing my way through the Pikes at that time.

Question therefore: Is parking at ODG midweek difficult. Would I be better parking in Ambeside and taking the bus to and from ODG bearing in mind that I have the option of a late bus back to Ambleside at 7 pm.

snoopdawg

Re: Old Dungeon Ghyll parking - advice please
« Reply #1 on: 11:28:34, 02/08/17 »
ODG parking can be difficult as it is not that big. There is a larger car park to the side of the NDG and also one in front of it. If you are lucky there is free parking for about 8 cars at the old bridge between the camp site entrance and the ODG. If you are paying for parking take plenty of change, I think it was £7 last time I used them ( or free at ODG if you are NT member)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:07:44, 02/08/17 »
ODG parking can be difficult as it is not that big. There is a larger car park to the side of the NDG and also one in front of it. If you are lucky there is free parking for about 8 cars at the old bridge between the camp site entrance and the ODG. If you are paying for parking take plenty of change, I think it was £7 last time I used them ( or free at ODG if you are NT member)

If you enter Great Langdale into parkopedia you will get chapter and verse plus web links to the car parks. As an aside, I have a gpx file with the NT car parks for the lakes - useful if you are a member.
Solvitur Ambulando

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:26:15, 02/08/17 »
Thanks Guys. Good info. Reckon I'll take the car into Langdale and see how it goes. Pocket full of £1 coins.  :)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:58:49, 02/08/17 »
I occasionally park at the NT camp site, usually overnight. It costs £5 which I presume would also apply for all day

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:44:32, 02/08/17 »
Thanks Glyno.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:12:00, 02/08/17 »
The car park at Sticklebarn is NT and so free if you're a member. This is next to the New Dungeon Ghyll and just a stroll form the ODG - there is a way to walk across the fields and avoid the road.

The NDG sometime opens up its front field for parking - right next to the road. This may not happen midweek though.

The NT car park at ODG is small and you need to be there early to bag spot.

Have a great time. We had a long weekend there recently and I am rather envious of you ... :o

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:21:11, 02/08/17 »
[quote author=Sarah Pitht link=topic=35015.msg501517#msg501517 date=150169752
 I am rather envious of you ... :o

Thanks Sarah. You won't be envious of my ancient feet when I've dragged them up Pavey Ark and on to Pike o'Stickle.  :) :)

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:24:52, 02/08/17 »
Ha ha!
I've just looked at you profile. If I can walk the high fells when I am your age, I will be chuffed indeed. If I can't I will be envious of your ancient feet!!!

Are you going to write a TR? I'm already looking forward to it...

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:39:17, 02/08/17 »

Are you going to write a TR? I'm already looking forward to it...

Yes, if I live.   ;D ;D

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:42:20, 02/08/17 »
 :D  You'd better leave us your exact panned route in case we need to call out MRT!  ;)

I read now that you are going to be in Keswick - where else are you planning on walking?

<Nosey people are us...>

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:53:55, 02/08/17 »
MRT?  That's for old and incapable people.  ;D ;D

Planning to do Haystacks and Fleetwith Pike but haven't worked out whether to do it from Gatesgarth or Honister.

Borrowdale and Newlands Vallley but still in planning. See what I can bag on the way.

Catbells on first day before I book into B&B

Mebbe Coniston. mebe Ullswater but not Striding Edge. Balance not what it was.

If it rains I shall climb into Wetherspoons.  ;D ;D

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:04:23, 02/08/17 »
You are going all over!

I'd save your legs and Haystacks and Fleetwith Pike from Honister - but them I'm all about least effort, greatest reward... ::)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:32:49, 02/08/17 »
Planning to do Haystacks and Fleetwith Pike but haven't worked out whether to do it from Gatesgarth or Honister.

Try this route, scenic approach by Buttermere, sporty ascent of Fleetwith Pike, classic horsehoe, finishes at pub, what's not to like?
https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=xwlieimfwqydhyjs

Sorry the gpx file is too big to attach
« Last Edit: 20:54:11, 02/08/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:18:54, 03/08/17 »
Thanks Sarah and Ninthace.

The Buttermere round looks great but 4000ft+ of ascent might find my limits.
I'm  drawn to Sarah's easy ascent of Haystacks from Honister. 1050ft. and then drop off Fleetwith down to Gatesgarth heeding AW's warning about descending that path in clag.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy