Author Topic: Gilets, useful or not?  (Read 2827 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Gilets, useful or not?
« on: 16:24:32, 02/08/17 »
I am thinking about buying a new warm layer and I am considering a gilet, perhaps the Paramo version? I've never bought such a thing before, always bought clothing with arms. Any views on how useful they are, any drawbacks etc? Thanks for your opinions.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: Gilets, useful or not?
« Reply #1 on: 16:49:25, 02/08/17 »
I bought a Paramo Torres (think that's name) Gilet about 10 years.

Good quality garment with a host of useful zipped pockets, and well intergrated if you typically use one of the waterproof Paramo jackets....the Torres itself is not waterproof, but is an outer insulating layer, that you slip on if you need extra warmth. Easy to slip on or off over the waterproof jacket.

But I have to admit I seldom use it. Although I do feel cold easily, I seldom do really long walks nowadays...so seldom stop walking long enough to need extra warmth from insulating layer.

But I know you do a far greater range of walking activities than I do...and it may be a near ideal garment for you on your rough camping expeditions, if you feel need of some extra warmth in the evenings.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:04:32, 02/08/17 »

I have one of those Paramo gilets and I think it is almost my favourite garment.  It weighs nothing, packs up into it's own pocket and goes everywhere with me all winter, (and quite often in the summer as well) on a bad day I even wear it round the house.  It's perfect when you stop for a sandwich on a cold day, you just sling it over your jacket to stop you losing heat.  It's a lightweight extra layer whenever you need one, and though it isn't waterproof it still insulates when wet.
When I bought it I thought it was an expensive luxury and hoped it would be useful.  But, as I say, it is about my best bit of gear.  I feel the cold, and suffer from Reynauds, and on many days it has made the difference between a good day out and misery.  In fact often the difference between a good day out and staying home with a book.
But then I do live in the cold North.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:17:31, 02/08/17 »
I think one big advantage of Torres Gilet is if you're doing a long route where you're pretty sure at some points you'll need 3 layers...base layer, insulating layer, and waterproof layer...but at some points you'll be too warm so insulating layer needs to come off.

Say when you start on a flat stretch on a really cold day...you need all three. Then a couple of miles later you come to a good climb...then insulating later needs to come off. Then at top of climb it's a bit windy, and you're doing less work, so insulating layer needs to go back on.

All that is a real faff if your insulating layer is midlayer, so you have to take waterproof layer off each time to get to the insulating mid-layer (fleece say). Much, much easier to just take Torres off, and put back on.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:50:54, 02/08/17 »
Not sure why you feel the need to have a waterproof layer on to start with if it's not raining?  Most I would start with in those circumstances is a baselayer plus lightweight fleece.  If really cold a thicker fleece on top, but I probably ought to try a gilet as I often find my arms are too warm in those circumstances so thanks for raising this.  Gives me an excuse to buy a new piece of kit  O0
Where there's a will ...

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:03:42, 02/08/17 »
Not sure why you feel the need to have a waterproof layer on to start with if it's not raining?  Most I would start with in those circumstances is a baselayer plus lightweight fleece.  If really cold a thicker fleece on top, but I probably ought to try a gilet as I often find my arms are too warm in those circumstances so thanks for raising this.  Gives me an excuse to buy a new piece of kit  O0

The "waterproof" layer I use nearly all time is a Paramo Velez Adventure light...and I tend to keep it on unless it gets really hot (it's a smock with full side zips so venting means I can keep it on for most walks all way round.) For walks in normal temperature range...find that comfortable with just a thin base layer. If it rains...then don't need to ferret around in bag for waterproof outer shell.

I know (from posts over the years) you prefer the greater flexibility of using a thin waterproof outer...and keeping it in the bag until it rains. And I can see why...you go out in much more varied conditions than I do, and stay out longer. I'm a delicate flower nowadays...and avoid extremes of cold and heat.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:17:01, 02/08/17 »
I've got two gilets, one by Rab and the other Arcteryx. Both are great pieces of kit and there's always one or the other in my pack.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:38:01, 02/08/17 »
I love gilets and have quite a collection of them. Most of then are down filled and very cosy, but perhaps they are not dedicated walking ones. I don't use them when out walking. If I'm cold enough to need an extra warm layer, I slip on my down jacket.

I find them mightily handy for wearing over a check shirt or at work when I need to quickly hide things in my pockets away from the kids.

Weren't they originally useful for climbers who need a bit of body warmth when hanging around but don't want something that restricts arm movement too much?

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:44:22, 02/08/17 »
Good around the house this evening. It's like October but I'm too mean to put the central heating back on.  :(

Murphy

« Reply #9 on: 19:45:08, 02/08/17 »
I love gilets............have several, great piece of kit, very useful indeed.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:17:06, 02/08/17 »
This forum is going to cost me money ... again  ;D
Where there's a will ...

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:01:37, 03/08/17 »
I have one of those Paramo gilets and I think it is almost my favourite garment.  It weighs nothing, packs up into it's own pocket and goes everywhere with me all winter, (and quite often in the summer as well) on a bad day I even wear it round the house.  It's perfect when you stop for a sandwich on a cold day, you just sling it over your jacket to stop you losing heat.  It's a lightweight extra layer whenever you need one, and though it isn't waterproof it still insulates when wet.
When I bought it I thought it was an expensive luxury and hoped it would be useful.  But, as I say, it is about my best bit of gear.  I feel the cold, and suffer from Reynauds, and on many days it has made the difference between a good day out and misery.  In fact often the difference between a good day out and staying home with a book.
But then I do live in the cold North.

Pretty much concur, the packable size is a major plus, as is weight.  I'd consider it three season 'pack' clothing, especially due to the fabric being wind proof.  I wouldn't buy down (although there are some impressive hydrophobic down products coming out), I like knowing I have a piece of kit I can use as a reliable 'oh [censored]' insulator if I fall in a river/do something equally stupid.

Their real value is in the winter months, which tends to mean more layers, and I find a gilet stops the fabric around the top of the arm 'binding' together too much, which restricts movement, problematic if you scramble or winter climb.  It isn't perfect by any means, but in conjunction with a belay jacket I've kept warm in pretty horrible conditions.

thomasdevon

« Reply #12 on: 15:33:37, 03/08/17 »
Good idea about a gilet I think. I am naturally hot so always end up wearing, it looks like, one layer less than everyone else around me, e.g. I don't even own a single vest/t-shirt to go under a shirt. Gilet could give me a bit of protection without making me boil up. Thank you gunwharfman.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:16:53, 03/08/17 »
I love gilets. I often wear a thin fleece one with a t-shirt in summer evenings. I also have one with lots of pockets (a bit like a fishing or safari one) that's great when I don't want to bother with a rucksack for little countryside walks. As others who've commented above, I love my Torres gilet (and the full jacket too).
In general, pack size and weight are a benefit of gilets, as is arm movement.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:50:34, 03/08/17 »
The dog sleeps under mine when backpacking. He lets me wear it before he goes to bed if it's cold.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy