Author Topic: waterproof walking boots  (Read 6567 times)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: waterproof walking boots
« Reply #15 on: 21:20:25, 15/08/17 »
Thanks for feedback folks. I should say I live in Northern Ireland and Cotswolds is really the only place I buy walking gear. I don't know of Altberg stores. Here's one I've my eye on: http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/the-north-face-mens-ultra-fastpack-ii-mid-gtx-boot-b1134227?id_colour=3495. ANy thoughts? Thanks, Henry

Personally I wouldn't buy them - too expensive for what they are, there are not many reviews available and the couple I saw (I think on amazon) were not exactly good, I think that model is possibly end of line. You can get them cheaper in ZINC GREY/SHADY BLUE online.

You've already had Salomon so you know the score. If pushed I would buy the Salomon 4D 2 GTX over the Prime but expect to get 1-2 years before the stitching or lining fails - from reading the online reviews they do seem to have a fairly high failure rate - but you may be lucky. Many users swear by them for their comfort and are prepared to put up with the failure rate.

If you're definitely determined to go ultra lightweight have a look at the Inov8 Roclite 286 GTX or the  Inov8 Roclite 286 GTX. You should get a year out of a pair and there are some bargains to be had if you shop around.

The problem with all fabric or fabric/leather combination boots is that they are made from of many separate panels with loads of stitching which are all points of weakness. They're also a [censored] to keep clean!  ;D

As I stated earlier if you want a boot that lasts you need to buy a full leather boot.

Why not do your boot shopping when you are next over in the Lake District?

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:23:34, 15/08/17 »
Thanks for feedback kinkyboots. Here's my next suggestion: http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/lowa-mens-bormio-gtx-qc-boot-b1124051?id_colour=5749. I'm slightly worried about easy hikes comment. Are these not designed for Lakeland fell walks? Thanks, Henry

nesty

« Reply #17 on: 23:37:02, 15/08/17 »
Another make of boots which I have is Anatom.
British company designed in scotland (not sure if the production line been moved to Europe). Not many people heard of them.
I have a pair of these in dark blue fabric been totally waterproof and well made. They also do leather as well. Pick them up mega cheap on ebay as not a mega name!
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/anatom-mens-v3-boot-b1122325?id_colour=133

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 07:49:10, 16/08/17 »
Thanks for feedback kinkyboots. Here's my next suggestion: http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/lowa-mens-bormio-gtx-qc-boot-b1124051?id_colour=5749. I'm slightly worried about easy hikes comment. Are these not designed for Lakeland fell walks? Thanks, Henry

It's difficult to tell without seeing them but from that description I would suggest that they are at best a 2/3 season boot and intended for use mainly on lowland or valley walks on prepared paths and not really suitable for regular use on the steeper rocky terrain of the Lake District. Although made of nubuck leather they are constructed from many small panels with loads of stitching which are all points of potential failure. A lot of Lowa's range are now made this way to reduce production costs - small offcuts of leather are far cheaper than one single larger piece.

Manufacturers are not stupid and the current trend of misguided thinking of some of them seems to be that the faster a customer can wear out a boot the quicker they will be buying new ones hence the built in shortened life expectancy in the hope of increasing sales!

This guide may help http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/expert-advice/hill-walking-boots and this older Go Outdoors video is worth watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9hb65XfIs and explains what you need to be looking for to suit the type of walking you do.

For regular use in the Lake District you need to be looking for a 3 season boot which has more torsional strength both along and across the boot sole to provide stability and support on the steeper terrain and one which also supports and protects the ankle.

These websites may also help to explain the differences
http://www.go4awalk.com/product-reviews/walking-gear-guides/walking-boots-gear-guide.php
https://www.webtogs.com/en-UK/blog/choosing-walking-boots/
http://knowledge.cotswoldoutdoor.com/c/top-tips-for-choosing-the-perfect-boot/

wobblyknees

« Reply #19 on: 10:37:27, 16/08/17 »
Re Lowa boots.

Decipher the marketing speak. "The boot isn't just an all-terrain boot in which you can put your trust."  
Translate:   The boot isn't an all-terrain boot in which you can put your trust.    

chip

« Reply #20 on: 11:21:28, 16/08/17 »
I watched the go outdoors videos kinkyboots posted, about the difference in rambling and hillwalking boots and how to check a boot fits properly.
Both of which I found very helpful thank you.

I have bought a pair of salomon quest 4d2 gtx for walking and have found them very comfortable for the limited walking I have done. I was also considering a pair of altberg nordcapp for the winter when it gets much muddier. So my question is, is the Nordcapp a good winter rambling boot or is it better suited to hillwalking.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:45:52, 16/08/17 »
Another make of boots which I have is Anatom.
British company designed in scotland (not sure if the production line been moved to Europe). Not many people heard of them.
I have a pair of these in dark blue fabric been totally waterproof and well made. They also do leather as well. Pick them up mega cheap on ebay as not a mega name!
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/anatom-mens-v3-boot-b1122325?id_colour=133

My "everyday walking shoe" is a pair of Anatom Skye's. I was pleased withy them for the money I paid (80 quid)...good sole, and still use-able after a very high mileage...I tried to buy a second pair, but local shop I got them from, said they found it difficult to get stocks.

But relative weak point of pair I've got (fabric rather than leather) is their water-proofing system...if I was expecting rain or going through wet/ boggy ground on a long-ish walk, I'd use something else.

Not to say...of course...that water-proofing on their leather boots/ shoes wouldn't be considerably better. And certainly a brand I'd be happy to buy, other things being equal.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:39:18, 16/08/17 »
I watched the go outdoors videos kinkyboots posted, about the difference in rambling and hillwalking boots and how to check a boot fits properly.
Both of which I found very helpful thank you.

I have bought a pair of salomon quest 4d2 gtx for walking and have found them very comfortable for the limited walking I have done. I was also considering a pair of altberg nordcapp for the winter when it gets much muddier. So my question is, is the Nordcapp a good winter rambling boot or is it better suited to hillwalking.

Your Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX will be more than up to the job for any low level winter rambling although they will harder to clean and maintain than a full leather boot. Just bear in mind that the Gore-Tex liner may possibly fail at some point in the future making them useless for any wet weather walking. You could of course be lucky and not have any problems at all. There really is no need for you to buy any more boots unless you do have a problem.

The 3 season Altberg Tethera and Nordkapp models are more suited to hillwalking than low level rambling although both could obviously easily be used for low level winter rambling. My personal preference would be for the Tethera due to the ease of cleaning and maintaining the wax finish on them although the Nordkapp's nubuck finish could also be waxed but would slightly reduce their breathability. Both boots are produced on different lasts so the final choice between the two would really come down to which boot fits your foot shape and volume the best.

The 2-3 season Altberg Fremington and Malham models are more suited to low level rambling and neither would have any problems with a bit of extra mud and slush in winter but they are slightly lower at the ankle than the other boots. Again both boots are produced on different lasts so the final choice between the two would come down to which boot fits your foot shape and volume the best.

chip

« Reply #23 on: 13:38:10, 16/08/17 »
Your Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX will be more than up to the job for any low level winter rambling although they will harder to clean and maintain than a full leather boot. Just bear in mind that the Gore-Tex liner may possibly fail at some point in the future making them useless for any wet weather walking. You could of course be lucky and not have any problems at all. There really is no need for you to buy any more boots unless you do have a problem.

The 3 season Altberg Tethera and Nordkapp models are more suited to hillwalking than low level rambling although both could obviously easily be used for low level winter rambling. My personal preference would be for the Tethera due to the ease of cleaning and maintaining the wax finish on them although the Nordkapp's nubuck finish could also be waxed but would slightly reduce their breathability. Both boots are produced on different lasts so the final choice between the two would really come down to which boot fits your foot shape and volume the best.

The 2-3 season Altberg Fremington and Malham models are more suited to low level rambling and neither would have any problems with a bit of extra mud and slush in winter but they are slightly lower at the ankle than the other boots. Again both boots are produced on different lasts so the final choice between the two would come down to which boot fits your foot shape and volume the best.
Thanks, I will save my money until such a time when either my 4ds fail or I find myself tackling tougher terrain.

I do own another pair of boots, merrell ridgepass mid gtx which I use for dog walking.
They are cheaper boots sold by sports direct but are sooo comfortable, fit like a glove holding my foot in place with no movement around inside of the boot, i have never had trouble with grip and they have proven to be waterproof.
So makes me wonder why I would need more. But I have never walked in them for more than a couple of hours so maybe they would not fair so well if worn all day.

JerryW

« Reply #24 on: 19:04:21, 16/08/17 »
Interesting thread, though the "lightweight" part seems not to have been at the forefront..

I use Berghaus Supalite leather boots for serious walking and some goretex Salomon Ultra boots for daywalks. I'm pleased with both of them .. the Supalites are much better made now Berghaus do them and have Vibram soles. You can get them for around £100 online and you will not find lighter leather boots anywhere. They are solid, too - mine have done both the pyrenees hrp and the pennine way, still waterproof..
And about £80 for the Salomons:
https://www.simplyhike.co.uk/collections/mens-footwear/products/salomon-mens-x-ultra-ltr-gtx-trail-shoe-absolute-brown-x
I love the outdoors, and will be out there, while I can :-)

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 19:42:19, 16/08/17 »

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:59:41, 16/08/17 »
Thanks guys. What about: http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/la-sportiva-mens-trango-trk-gtx-boot-b1122961?id_colour=6325. ANy drawbacks?

You mean apart from that yellow day-glow colour!  ;)

I think it's time you made a shortlist and went to your local Cotswolds store and had a close look at a few before we end up doing the whole of the Cotswold  Outdoor catalogue.

Interesting thread, though the "lightweight" part seems not to have been at the forefront..

I use Berghaus Supalite leather boots for serious walking and some goretex Salomon Ultra boots for daywalks. I'm pleased with both of them .. the Supalites are much better made now Berghaus do them and have Vibram soles. You can get them for around £100 online and you will not find lighter leather boots anywhere. They are solid, too - mine have done both the pyrenees hrp and the pennine way, still waterproof..
And about £80 for the Salomons:
https://www.simplyhike.co.uk/collections/mens-footwear/products/salomon-mens-x-ultra-ltr-gtx-trail-shoe-absolute-brown-x

The Berghaus Supalite II might be worth a closer look but I know there have been previous problems reported with lacehooks pulling out, the leather splitting both the inner lining and the outside, the heelcup collapsing and the soles wearing out very quickly. Apart from Berghaus sticking their name and a Vibram sole on it I'm not really sure that much has changed since the Brasher days when they ruined their boots and the brand name and went bankrupt after disastrously moving production abroad with little or no effective quality control in place. Believe it or not the Brasher Hillmaster used to be the top selling boot in the country and is possibly the only reason Berghaus bought Brasher. 

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 06:01:21, 17/08/17 »
The old Brasher Supalight, which evolved into the Berghaus Supalight was the boot I first used when I started rambling again about a dozen years ago after a very long break.

It was very comfortable (obviously might not be for some one else), and as waterproof as anything I've ever used. And lasted for over three years, and around 3000 miles.

I'd have happily bought another pair...but the boot of the same name available when I needed replacement had been subtly changed, didn't feel so comfortable, so I changed over to some Scarpa boot.

The only complaint I had about the Supalight was their poor-ish grip, and I guess present boot's different sole has improved this.

(When I complained about grip at time, a Brasher rep explained that if I kept sole free from mud that grip would be better! I replied that I usually used them for walking Peak District, rather than my living room.)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 16:15:50, 19/08/17 »
In the last two years I changed from all leather boots to the heavily stitched type. Worse thing I ever did! I bought a pair of 'waterproof' Keen Targee's, they leaked like a sieve. I then changed to a pair of 'waterproof' Saloman Quests, they too leaked badly.

Third time lucky, I decided to return to all leather boots and bought a pair of Berghaus Superlite 2's  and have never looked back, as they say! I've just worn them on the Glyndwrs Way, lots of damp and wet walking through grassy fields, soggy forests and sodden moorland. No problemo, boots were wet every day but my feet stayed absolutely dry. I was impressed!

The boots are really comfortable, lightweight(ish), conservative looking, easy to clean and their lacing system is easy and secure. Why would anyone want any other make or model?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 08:25:47, 20/08/17 »
The cheapest price I could find for the Berghaus Men's Supalite II GTX is £96.50 with free delivery (11.11% cashback is available if you go via TopCashback for online purchases)

https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Berghaus-Mens-Supalite-II-GTX-sku11113301.asp

It looks like Go Outdoors have drastically reduced the range of Berghaus boots they sell and no longer sell this model.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy