Author Topic: TR 13-14th August Lincomb Tarns camp  (Read 1807 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
TR 13-14th August Lincomb Tarns camp
« on: 23:01:39, 15/08/17 »
A ride up to Borrowdale this week for myself, Emily,Tom and nephew Jake for a night on the fells. I did have a pass out for a longer stay but the weather was forecast to be pretty grim on Monday so we just had the one night out.
Lovely weather on Sunday as we head out of Rosthwaite.
Greenup Edge and Eagle Crag ahead..
The Big Stanger gill path is a lovely way to get to the high fell but it is a steep pull and I realised that every time I've come this way it's been boiling hot.
The view of Borrowdale is a good reward for your hard work.
The path levels out eventually as you reach this little open area. Big Stanger Gill takes a turn to the right and the path follows.
Looking back to the steep sided gully of Big Stanger Gill. Skiddaw in the far distance.
Crossing the gill at the waterfall.
Walking across the open fell between High Knott and Bessyboot. Skiddaw again in the distance.
A couple of walkers conquer Rosthwaite Cam.
Looking over Thornythwaite Fell and Base Brown to Great Gable in the distance on the left then Green Gable, Brandreth and Grey Knotts The High Stile ridge is behind the distinctive outline of Honister Crag.
Approaching Tarn at Leaves..

View over to Eagle Crag with Ullscarf behind.
On the short but steep climb of Combe Door.  I had the pleasure of doing this twice as Thomas's jacket fell of the back of his ricksac and went back down to recover it.
Langdale Pikes and Coniston fells from the top of Combe Door.
The view north to Skiddaw over Borrowdale, Derwentwater and Keswick from Combe Head is one of the finest in Lakeland in my opinion.
The kids liked the challenge of the 30ft scramble up to Glaramara summit.
Extensive views of the Eskdale fells from Glaramara. Bowfell, Esk Pike Ill Crag, the very top of Scafell Pike and Great End all in a line from left to right.
And further round Lingmell and Great Gable
View over our camp to the east with the Helvellyn range on the horizon.
One of the Lincomb Tarns.
Langdale Pikes start to catch the evening sun.
As does Bowfell.
A little later in the evening looking to Great End.
The Pikes really well lit now.
The sun drops behind the Gables.
Monday was as forecast a horrible day so we headed back to Borrowdale. I didn't take any photos as the rain was unrelenting.  :(
Our route was -
13th. Rosthwaite - Stonethwaite - Big Stanger gill - Tarn at Leaves - Combe Door - Combe Head - Glaramara - Lincomb Tarns ( about 5 miles 2600ft ascent )14th. Lincomb Tarns - Allen Crags - Grains Gill - Seathwaite - Rosthwaite ( about 6 miles 500 ft ascent )

adalard

• Veteran Member
Re: TR 13-14th August Lincomb Tarns camp
« Reply #1 on: 08:34:24, 16/08/17 »
Great stuff, Karl - really enjoyed that. Those photos of the fells in the evening sun are beautiful.  O0

Even in the heat, I think I'd always prefer a steep route up than a long slog up a more gentle incline - you gain the height quicker and for some reason a gentler climb always plays havoc on my ankles and calf muscles.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:17:07, 16/08/17 »
Lovely pics as usual Karl
Looks like the kids had a great time
Pleased you got some good weather mate
I'm fed up of getting wet, what a crap summer we've had
ATB beefy😎
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:20:32, 16/08/17 »
Great photos and a very fine pitch spot (as we know from years back). Excellent views from there.

Big Stanger is an approach we haven't done yet, looks good.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:24:27, 16/08/17 »
Lovely pics Karl  O0 There would have been enough Karl routes on that walk to last a month  :D
It is a great place to pitch a tent up there, unless it rains the next day  ;D We had rain next day the last time we pitched on Allen Crags  :(
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:49:43, 16/08/17 »
Great stuff, Karl - really enjoyed that. Those photos of the fells in the evening sun are beautiful.  O0

Even in the heat, I think I'd always prefer a steep route up than a long slog up a more gentle incline - you gain the height quicker and for some reason a gentler climb always plays havoc on my ankles and calf muscles.
Thanks adalard O0  I'm with you..much prefer short and steep get the views quicker and the pain over with ;)

Lovely pics as usual Karl
Looks like the kids had a great time
Pleased you got some good weather mate
I'm fed up of getting wet, what a crap summer we've had
ATB beefy😎
Thanks mate O0  It has been a bit of a rubbish summer >:(

Great photos and a very fine pitch spot (as we know from years back). Excellent views from there.

Big Stanger is an approach we haven't done yet, looks good.

Cheers Geoff O0  The Glaramara ridge is wild camping heaven and Big Stanger gill is a great way to access it  :)

Lovely pics Karl  O0 There would have been enough Karl routes on that walk to last a month  :D
It is a great place to pitch a tent up there, unless it rains the next day  ;D We had rain next day the last time we pitched on Allen Crags  :(
Ta A O0  Fed up at work now.  Wished we had stayed out..getting soft in my old age ;D

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:37:06, 16/08/17 »
Great pics Karl, looks like you all had a great time.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:26:16, 16/08/17 »
Lovely photos & report Karl  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:53:21, 16/08/17 »
Great stuff, enjoyed that. Looks a great place to explore  O0

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:59:23, 16/08/17 »
Lovely pictures Karl and beautiful scenery, well done  O0  Good to see some action photos. Shame about the rain spoiling the second day but the first day makes up for it.

Don't sheep get into some difficult areas to graze like the one on Big Stranger Gill  ;D

Regards Keith

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:20:13, 17/08/17 »
Great pics Karl, looks like you all had a great time.

Cheers Ridge O0  Sunday was lovely, Monday less so but that's the Lake District for you
Lovely photos & report Karl  O0
Very kind as usual Tracey :)

Great stuff, enjoyed that. Looks a great place to explore  O0
Thanks Redeye O0  Glad you enjoyed my pics

Lovely pictures Karl and beautiful scenery, well done  O0  Good to see some action photos. Shame about the rain spoiling the second day but the first day makes up for it.
Don't sheep get into some difficult areas to graze like the one on Big Stranger Gill  ;D
Regards Keith

Cheers Keith O0  That sheep made it to safer ground :)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:47:06, 17/08/17 »
Late responding but great stuff Karl. Really enjoyed the pics and narrative.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 00:18:17, 19/09/17 »
Fabulous TR Karl, I always enjoy them.

I hear bad reports about the official Karl's Cut Price Tours, so would tend to shy away from them but your personal excursions are sheer pleasure.
Lovely places and great weather, made all the better by sharing them with other people - and hopefully the young 'uns will keep up the spirit in years to come.

O0
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy