Author Topic: Dore Head screes - the solution!  (Read 940 times)

GeoffB

Dore Head screes - the solution!
« on: 11:16:07, 21/09/17 »
I posted earlier about descending from Dore Head without actually coming down the screes. Just before I departed for the UK on 5th September a friend suggested that instead of descending, I should ASCEND to Dore Head. On arrival I walked up the Black Sail Pass path and studied the opposite side of the valley through binoculars. I found little to support my idea that it may be possible to find a zig-zag route down some distance away from the screes (on the left, coming down). However, I DID see two people and a dog ASCENDING slowly very close to the actual screes. I dropped in at the Barn Door Shop and enquired, and the ladies there agreed that my zig-zag route might be difficult, but said, "Why not try going UP, instead?". That more or less decided the matter for me. It would be slow going, but going up a steep incline is less hard on the knees than going down. So that is what I did. In practice, I found that there is, indeed a clear, though very narrow, track up the side of the screes. It took me 22 minutes according to my Garmin, from the point where the National Trust sign post shows the path turning off left to the screes to the top, a distance over the ground of about 800 yards. It was steep and it WAS slow, but it was perfectly feasible. On reaching the top, a quick chocolate fix set me up to continue over Red Pike and on to Steeple where I had my lunch before continuing round the Horseshoe and down to Ritson's Bar for a well-deserved pint. It was a great day in a week of great days which also saw me ascending Lord's Rake for the second time - the first time being 46 years ago. The weather in the week from 9th to 15th September was some of the worst I have ever experienced in the Lakes, but I managed to get out every day.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy