Author Topic: Wetherlam via Steel Edge  (Read 761 times)

RedKMan

Wetherlam via Steel Edge
« on: 16:32:00, 01/10/17 »
Hi,

I'm a bit nervous about planning this route because it is not shown on the OL6 Explorer map.  Steel Edge seems to start around (299, 009) and end (292, 003) on the North Sheet of OL6 Explorer pretty much running a diagonal line from point to point.  Can anyone verify this?

Thanks,

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Re: Wetherlam via Steel Edge
« Reply #1 on: 16:42:20, 01/10/17 »
this might be of help, it's a quick screenshot from a gpx file of a walk I did a few years ago (including Steel Edge).
I'd say your grid refs are pretty close.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:21:23, 01/10/17 »
I did this a couple of months ago see - http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34987.0. Glyno's route is spot on and the start is very easy to find. IMHO Steel Edge was quite straightforward and a lot easier than Wetherlam Edge. HTH ;)

RedKMan

« Reply #3 on: 20:25:02, 01/10/17 »
Hi,

Thanks for the info :).

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:18:25, 03/10/17 »
Yup, the route is as Glyno's map shows.

Steel Edge is a broad grassy spur which becomes a bit rockier towards the top -  there are a few places where you might use your hands but they're avoidable. A long time since I walked it but a nice easy route up IIRC.

Wetherlam Edge is a rougher route with several lengths where you'll need to put your hands on the rock - but it's easy scrambling. The route is largely north-facing so it's prone to be slippery on frosty mornings.
Skip

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy