Author Topic: sleeping bag advice  (Read 1370 times)

Codster

sleeping bag advice
« on: 09:50:39, 02/10/17 »
Recently bought some gear for hiking and camping, a Starlight 2 sleeping bag and an Osprey Stratos 36 rucksack, I have compressed the sleeping bag as much as I possibly can within its own bag but still cant get it into the sleeping bag section in the rucksack. Should I have got another type of sleeping bag? or is this a common problem? the rucksack is for my partner.

I have the Atmos 50 AG and have no problem using the same sleeping bag. So wondering if I mismatched the bag and rucksack?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: sleeping bag advice
« Reply #1 on: 10:30:47, 02/10/17 »
Did you neatly fold the sleeping bag or did you "stuff"  it into its stuff bag.

Stuffing tends to expel more air and therefore lessen overall volume. If that doesn't help then you will have a classic mismatch, but all is not lost. You may be better off using the main body of the bag to store the sleeping bag and use the bottom section for other gear. That is if you do not want to invest even more money.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Codster

« Reply #2 on: 10:39:18, 02/10/17 »
stuffed, yep used the sleeping bag bay for the mattress, but the sleeping bag takes a lot of room up in the main bag section. But think your right in that I have missmatched.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:01:08, 02/10/17 »
Then it may be cheaper to buy a very good weatherproof stuff bag and attach the sleeping bag firmly to the rucksack either top or bottom, whichever is the most comfortable.

Too little, too late, too bad......

motorlaunch

« Reply #4 on: 15:56:26, 02/10/17 »
Try a different stuff sac. I can always get my sleeping bag packed down to a smaller volume if I don't use the one supplied with the bag.

Matchbox

« Reply #5 on: 16:47:02, 02/10/17 »
The problem with sleeping bags is that is you compress them too much you will ruin them as the insulation needs to expand to make them warm. Compressing them too much will make the insulation permanently compressed so that it will not loft as much as it used to. So get a larger rucksack of strap it to the outside of the rucksack and use a waterproof dry pack liner to put it in to keep it dry in the rain.

Codster

« Reply #6 on: 17:24:46, 02/10/17 »
The problem with sleeping bags is that is you compress them too much you will ruin them as the insulation needs to expand to make them warm. Compressing them too much will make the insulation permanently compressed so that it will not loft as much as it used to. So get a larger rucksack of strap it to the outside of the rucksack and use a waterproof dry pack liner to put it in to keep it dry in the rain.

Thanks for that, think I will go down this route, cheers  O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:52:43, 03/10/17 »
When I decided to no longer use a sleeping bag and to only use a sleeping quilt I was at the time of purchase surprised as to how my quilt could be crushed to a small size. I use a stuffsack to hold it in place and this works very well. My quilt is fine for reasonable weather and I've learned that to keep warm and comfy in colder months I use a good inflatable mattress (Thermarest NeoAir in my case plus a fitted sheet) then a baselayer top and leggings, then if really necessary I just put on my warm daytime jacket. Utilising day wear into nightwear also saves a fair bit of weight as well.

The combination of mattress, sheet, baselayer and leggings, warm jacket work, the layering works in harmony together. For me, the key to it all working properly though as it gets colder is the mattress, without it, every combination of layers then fails.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 01:04:55, 05/10/17 »
36L is pretty small unless you're carrying very light and small kit. I couldn't manage with that for the weekend trips I do with my gear.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:12:37, 05/10/17 »
I agree, even though I have learned to minimise my gear even I couldn't do serious hiking with a 36L bag. I have a 48L, 50L would always be my maximum, If I really thought about I believe I could just about get away with a 45L bag. Does anyone else who hikes and camps, say for more than a week use a small rucksack?

Pura Vida

« Reply #10 on: 10:33:11, 05/10/17 »
Hi,
No one has mentioned a Compression Sack.
Stuffing into a stuff sack is best but it is still a challenge to make it small enough.
A compression Sack has straps around the outside. Make sure the webbing type straps go all of the way around the outside. If they only go partly around the outside and then stitched into the material seam then it will eventually rip.
These compression sacks will gain you extra space.
Sleeping bags should only be compressed for the duration of the carrying phase. Take them out to allow them to fluff up as soon as you have put your tent up. When at home the sleeping bag should be stored out of the bag, preferably flat or hung full length. Be wary of folding them over a coat hanger as this will eventually degrade the performance of insulation in that area.

Another thought is that I interpret the 36 as 36 litres then, for me, that wouldn't have sufficient space for camping. But if I'm camping I will be supervising expeditions and will have extra safety kit

Good Luck

Robin
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy