Author Topic: Snowdon 27th October  (Read 1981 times)

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
Snowdon 27th October
« on: 16:53:31, 15/11/17 »
Over October half term we spent the week in North Wales. The weather wasn’t great apart from our final day when senior daughter and I headed up Snowdon on a morning of clear skies and amazing views. We went up the Rhyd Ddu path and back down Snowdon Ranger which kept us away from the crowds for most of the day. As you can see from the final photo as we started back down the cloud did roll in, but all in all it was a splendid mountain day.

Enjoy every sandwich

adalard

• Veteran Member
Re: Snowdon 27th October
« Reply #1 on: 18:27:27, 15/11/17 »
Great pictures, Annejacko.  O0

The views are fantastic, of course, but one of my favourites was the penultimate one with the walkers against that mix of drifting cloud and blue sky. One of those moments that can't ever be captured again...  :)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:30:31, 15/11/17 »
Fantastic photos, looks like a great day for it. Did you cut back to Rhyd Ddu using the cross country path that goes over the heaps of slate?

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:43:14, 15/11/17 »
Did you cut back to Rhyd Ddu using the cross country path that goes over the heaps of slate?

We cheated and missed that bit, hubby and younger daughter dropped us off at Rhyd Ddu then went off for the day and picked us up at Snowdon Ranger car park later.

Unfortunately my hiking daughter has been struggling with pain in her hips over the last few months, physio seems to be helping but any walking over 7 miles or so seems to set it off, so reducing the distance to around 7 miles ish was a good plan. Fortunately she didn't seem to suffer any ill effects the next day.
Enjoy every sandwich

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:52:50, 15/11/17 »
The views are fantastic, of course, but one of my favourites was the penultimate one with the walkers against that mix of drifting cloud and blue sky. One of those moments that can't ever be captured again...  :)

My daughter was hoping for a full on cloud inversion as she's not experienced that yet but we had to settle for the wisps of cloud that kept drifting around.
I think that picture was just before the blue sky disappeared for a couple of hours, it had come back by the time we reached the bottom.
There were certainly a lot of people at the summit making the most of the good weather, it was the last week of the trains season too.
Enjoy every sandwich

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:06:31, 15/11/17 »
We cheated and missed that bit, hubby and younger daughter dropped us off at Rhyd Ddu then went off for the day and picked us up at Snowdon Ranger car park later.

Unfortunately my hiking daughter has been struggling with pain in her hips over the last few months, physio seems to be helping but any walking over 7 miles or so seems to set it off, so reducing the distance to around 7 miles ish was a good plan. Fortunately she didn't seem to suffer any ill effects the next day.

Well done to her for getting that far with hip problems. I can sympathise having hurt my left hip in a bicycle accident 4 years ago. Hope the physio does the trick for her.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:26:30, 15/11/17 »
Great pics Annejacko. Looks like you had a splendid day!! O0

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:34:54, 15/11/17 »
Lovely photos Anne O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:32:53, 16/11/17 »
Great photos Annejacko, looks like a grand day out  O0
Hate will never win

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:37:53, 16/11/17 »
Super pics. It's always very special sharing a walk with offspring  O0
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:39:41, 16/11/17 »
Great photos.
Never lonely on the top of Snowdon are you!

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:51:26, 16/11/17 »
Thanks for the comments folks

It's always very special sharing a walk with offspring  O0

She's back to doing hiking for her DofE silver for the next six months so we've got an excuse to be out doing something every weekend, although it won't always be big walks.

Never lonely on the top of Snowdon are you!

Only other time I've been up there was in 1992! I was impressed with how well the new café fitted into the surroundings though, on the way up it's actually quite hard to pick out.
The Rhyd Ddu and Ranger paths are said to be quieter than the other routes up and we did find that to be the case. It's quite a shock when you get to the top and see just how many people are up there.
Enjoy every sandwich

Forkbeard

« Reply #12 on: 11:13:15, 18/11/17 »
Nice pics - done that route a couple of times and it's certainly quieter than the others and underrated IMO. Sounds like you had a good day out :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy