Author Topic: New forum members  (Read 1518 times)

Jays

New forum members
« on: 19:49:00, 23/12/17 »
hello all
My name is John, and my wife is Jan, hence jays!

We like to walk long distance paths.

We walked the French Camino, finisterra Camino and English camino this September and October.

We are both retired in our mid fifties.

We have a small camper van which we use to access routes.

This means we sometimes walk routes in both directions!

This January we have a five week trip booked to liguria

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: New forum members
« Reply #1 on: 21:21:48, 23/12/17 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Are you really Janet and John?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:21:43, 23/12/17 »
Welcome to you Jays  O0

I had to google Liguria and the English Camino  :-[

Are you really Janet and John?

Brings to mind past forum members Peter and Jane (the PJ's)

Hate will never win

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:14:12, 24/12/17 »
Welcome from Portsmouth

Jays

« Reply #4 on: 16:48:53, 24/12/17 »
Thanks to all
It’s janice but she prefers Jan

John Walker

« Reply #5 on: 19:30:32, 24/12/17 »
Hi Jays
Welcome from a Christmas bedecked Twickenham!
JW
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

KathyDahm

« Reply #6 on: 16:55:22, 19/01/18 »
Hi, I'm a new forum member, from St. Louis, Missouri, in the States.

I'm hoping for some help as I plan to do the Coast to Coast Walk, solo, this coming September (2018).  I am 75, will be 76 when I do the walk. I walked the Camino de Santiago de Compostela solo, from St. Jean Pied de Port in France to Santiago de Compostela in Spain, nearly 500 miles, in the fall of 2015, and then the Portuguese Camino from Porto to Santiago and on to Finisterre (219 miles), this past October (2017), along with three friends.

Now I very much want to walk the Coast to Coast Walk, and I'm hoping that I'm not foolish to attempt it on my own. I enjoy walking solo, but I also love meeting people and making new friends along the way.

Right now my plan is to allow 20-21 days of walking. I mean to take this as slowly as I need to.

Thanks for opportunity to use this wonderful forum.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:30:47, 19/01/18 »

Now I very much want to walk the Coast to Coast Walk, and I'm hoping that I'm not foolish to attempt it on my own. I enjoy walking solo, but I also love meeting people and making new friends along the way.

Right now my plan is to allow 20-21 days of walking. I mean to take this as slowly as I need to.

First of all welcome  O0

The coast to Coast is a lovely walk and I have done it twice on my own. It's a very popular walk so there are always people doing it, even in September so you will meet many people along the way and at your accommodation at the end of the day.

I haven't done the other walks that you mention but I wouldn't think the Coast to Coast would pose a problem to you  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:32:50, 19/01/18 »
Hi Kathy, first things first, do you want to walk the mountains first of the 'flatter' bits first? Maybe you have already decided? I've done the hike both ways now and preferred the less hilly bits first, then the mountains through the Lake District. I'm sure others would suggest the opposite? Personally my best hike was when I started it the third time, started at St. Bees on the Irish Sea Coast, walked across the Lake District, then across to Shap, across the M6 motorway to Keld, then turned south on the Pennine way to finish at Edale, much better for me and more demanding. I was never that keen on the stretch from Keld to Robin Hood's Bay on the North Sea coast. I'm nearly 73 (in April) and I remember meeting an 86 year old Australian lady and her 30 something son, who were walking the Coast to Coast in memory of her dead husband. I met them at the YHA Black Sail hostel and we climbed up and over to the Honister Slate Mine together, she could climb and walk faster than me! Her husband always dreamed of hiking the Coast to Coast but never made it. What ever you decide I'm sure you will enjoy it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:39:28, 19/01/18 »
I also have walked to St. Jean Pied de Port, a very attractive little town, I had a great 24 hours there. I was walking the GR10 at the time but most hikers went off to do the Camino, a few of us headed towards the Mediterreaean.

As an asside, Ive just watch the film 'Three Billboards, outside Ebbing Missouri', have you seen it? A really good film, does it reflect life in your area or is it just fantasy?

KathyDahm

« Reply #10 on: 04:44:43, 25/01/18 »
I also have walked to St. Jean Pied de Port, a very attractive little town, I had a great 24 hours there. I was walking the GR10 at the time but most hikers went off to do the Camino, a few of us headed towards the Mediterreaean.

As an asside, Ive just watch the film 'Three Billboards, outside Ebbing Missouri', have you seen it? A really good film, does it reflect life in your area or is it just fantasy?

I'm still trying to understand how to reply to posts. I hope this is the way. "Three Billboards..." is, unfortunately, not just fantasy. It does reflect life in parts of my state, but not in the urban areas. I haven't seen it, but want to. I've read about it. Missouri is an extremely "red" state, very conservative, except for the metropolitan areas of St. Louis and Kansas City.  But back to the C2C. I have so many questions! Where's the best place to ask them?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:02:21, 25/01/18 »
I think its 'General Walking discussion', 'Long Distance walks' and for purchases in the UK, 'Gear.

When hiking through the Lakes, if you have the time and inclination to visit other places, I would suggest that wait until you get to Grasmere before doing so. The main north south main road disects through the Lake District here and you get the opportunity to use buses. From here you can visit Keswick and the Ambleside areas, even Windermere as well.

When you get to Patterdale (Glenridding is just along the road) you can get a bus to Penrith going one way or to Windermere, over the Kirkstone Pass. The last time I did it the Glenridding to Penrith route was a great experience. I caught a double decker bus and managed to sit upstairs on the front seat. I had to really hold on tightly, the driver took that bus along the twisting, undulating road along the edge of Ullwater as if he was racing a car. Really great fun as the bus rocked and rolled from side to side, like being on a bucking bronco!

I have also done Patterdale to Windermere (better route than from Grasmere to Windermere) I was sitting this time in a single decker bus, belting madly along narrow roads with stone walls either side. Very unnerving to be sitting on the bus seeing a car coming towards us, the optical illussion you get is, there is no room for the bus and car to pass. So many sharp intakes of breath and gritting of teeth, how the driver squeezed his bus through the availble space at 30 mph was beyong my understanding. Great fun though!

Also if you take a bus ride you may get a real and personal experience of the local people. In the UK the elderly are given a free bus pass by our government (I have one) and its one of those occasions where locals get on the bus, greet each other, have laughs together, gossip about people they know and so on. Not done in malice but hilarious at times, I've been allowed to join in the conversation more than once. If you like mixing with other people I would suggest, not to be missed.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:36:39, 25/01/18 »
If I may, another suggestion. If while your walking the C2C and you fancy a bit of human company, maybe a pint in the pub, you could try downloading the app Zello and 'find' the channel UK BACKPACKING and to see if anyone is in the area. Obviously, if anyone answers they will be a complete stranger but its something you might want to consider? I'm on it and find it a useful communication tool.

KathyDahm

« Reply #13 on: 21:07:42, 25/01/18 »
If I may, another suggestion. If while your walking the C2C and you fancy a bit of human company, maybe a pint in the pub, you could try downloading the app Zello and 'find' the channel UK BACKPACKING and to see if anyone is in the area. Obviously, if anyone answers they will be a complete stranger but its something you might want to consider? I'm on it and find it a useful communication tool.

Thanks for the suggestions, especially about Zello. I doubt that I'll be making any side trips, as my main focus will be just finishing the C2C in one piece. Many thanks for your reply.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy