Author Topic: Versatile boots  (Read 2716 times)

mkersyshull

Versatile boots
« on: 21:20:39, 14/01/18 »

Sorry if thing's I say seem silly, but I'm very new to this. I'm looking to get some boots that are as versatile as possible. I'm wanting to be able to go hiking in them, but also look good for a day of urban walking. I'm currently looking at the Merrell Sugarbush boots and wondered if anyone had any experience (or alternatives)?

Thank you

Steve922

Re: Versatile boots
« Reply #1 on: 22:34:24, 14/01/18 »
What made you look at that particular boot amongst the thousands of alternatives?  To me it looks particularly unsuitable for 'looking good around town' once its had a day in the mud!
« Last Edit: 22:38:55, 14/01/18 by Steve922 »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:37:40, 14/01/18 »
My belief is that that you can get away with lightweight fabric boots which don't look too bad for 'about town' wear but it's a bit of a compromise because I don't regard then as being the best option for serious walking. It's a bit like mulipurpose tools, they're rarely as good as the ones made specifically for one particular job.

I speak as someone who wears boots as daily footwear by preference. My past ones have been relatively inexpensive fabric Hitecs while I currently wear Brasher Lithium GTX (no longer made) which are just coming to the end of their life. While they are OK for casual walks, no way would I dream of wearing them for a serious 5 or 10 miles hike, for which I wear 'solid' leather ones by Meindl.

You could wear the Hitec-type things from Milletts or Sports Direct for long walks but they won't be anything like as supportive and comfortable as proper purpose-made boots, and don't expect them to last more than a year, or two at the most.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:57:40, 15/01/18 »
If looking for something that's comfortable to wear most of the time and don't look "out of place" in town...but also okay for a fair range of country rambles..there's a strong case for looking at approach shoes rather than walking boots.

Certainly there's a fair range of approach shoes that I'd be happy to use on sort of walks I do now (6 to 12 miles in Dark or White Peak, walking routes, not scrambles) that would look perfectly fine in town. And (maybe crucial for some people) that it would feel comfortable to drive in...something I certainly don't feel comfortable doing in "proper boots'.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:59:20, 15/01/18 »
Yes, I'd go for the approach shoes idea as well.

RogerA

« Reply #5 on: 11:26:43, 15/01/18 »
As has been said there are thousands of options out there.

I have 2 pairs of walking boots, both HiTec which are not too expensive and work well for me. I know that as fernman says they're not the best walking boots in the world but they've done everything I've asked of them and kept my feet well supported and dry.

One are solid leather with fairly high ankle support and deep sole. Perhaps less suitable for town (although I wouldnt think twice about wearing anywhere - they're the most comfortable footwear I've ever owned).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hi-Tec-Altitude-Waterproof-Walking-Boots/dp/B00H9ZTYEW

My other pair are much lighter (lightly lower ankle support, slighly less deep sole and waterproofed fabric & leather mix) they have more of of a look of a trainer than a boot, still waterproof and ok for walking but dont say kitted up hiker to the same extent.
Maybe something like this would work: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hi-Tec-Penrith-Waterproof-Hiking-Chocolate/dp/B00FGHXCAW/
I tend to use these more when its drier and I'm on roads / paved ways.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:45:31, 15/01/18 »
Try looking at some Salomon Cross Trail shoes, or boots.
Their made to a very high standard, and can be worn over many different terrains.
Their not especially cheap, but i am sure an internet search will reveal a good price.
Ive seen some advertised as low as £60, but due to their popularity discounts are not easy to come by.

RogerA

« Reply #7 on: 11:51:35, 15/01/18 »
Try looking at some Salomon Cross Trail shoes, or boots.
Their made to a very high standard, and can be worn over many different terrains.
Their not especially cheap, but i am sure an internet search will reveal a good price.
Ive seen some advertised as low as £60, but due to their popularity discounts are not easy to come by.

wow - snazzy!

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:02:18, 15/01/18 »

So it appears various forum members like wearing full-on walking gear around town!

If I were you I'd get a cheap pair of hiking boots for hiking and buy fashionable stuff for elsewhere.

Hiking and fashion rarely meet successfully.

Kukkudrill

« Reply #9 on: 22:42:42, 15/01/18 »
Lowa Renegades wouldn't look out of place in town (to me at least), but I wouldn't recommend them for urban walking. They seem to lack cushioning and come to feel like concrete under your feet if you walk a long distance on paved surfaces.

The most comfortable boots I own are Ecco Rugged Tracks - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ECCO-RUGGED-TRACK-Hiking-BLACK51707/dp/B0163G8L4Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1516055075&sr=1-1&keywords=ecco%2Brugged%2Btrack&th=1&psc=1. I think they have the sort of looks you're after. They need breaking in, which takes patience, but once they're broken in boy they're comfortable. They're not ideal for heavy backpacking on rough ground, because the sole lacks stiffness, but they have excellent grip on paved and rough ground alike. They have more cushioning than you'll find in most boots so they're equally at home on paved surfaces and rough ground. The downside to these boots is that the outsole wears away faster than average.
Make the most of the available light

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:26:52, 16/01/18 »
At £664 per pair I'd expect someone to come round and break them in for me.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:40:50, 16/01/18 »
I recon you could get custom made to measure boots for that kind of money.
Ecco are a good make, nice quality, but their more of a fashion brand.
£664 would by you two pairs of some of the best boots on the market.

Steve922

« Reply #12 on: 12:53:25, 16/01/18 »
Look again!  They're currently over a thousand quid!  LOL

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:20:49, 16/01/18 »
Should have invested earlier!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:26:53, 16/01/18 »
Look again, a budget spec sole, with Eccos  brand name on it.
For that kind of money, i would expect a Vibram, or similar high quality outsole.
Ive bought Ecco shoes before, and they are very high quality, and beautifully made, but unless you get them on the sale, their not cheap.
When your spending £600- to £1000 on a pair of boots, i would want a pair that were cutom made, and made for my exact foot size and shape.

A nice pair of Scarpa, Zamberland, or any other the leading manufacturers boots, at the top end should cost no more than £250-60, so £600+ would be for a pair of them.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy