Author Topic: Swim Report - 24th June - Bucket list item ticked at Lambfoot Dub  (Read 2030 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member

To swim in Lambfoot has been on Sue's  ( Sooz214) bucket list for a while and with the weather has it has been recently we thought there was no better time to tick one of the list.

The familiar view of Seathwaite Fell through Seathwaite farm.

Despite the lack of rain still quite a strong flow over Taylorgill Force.

Hot, hot hot on the climb away from the valley. Blencathra is the big fell in the distance.

Scafell Pike with Lingmell to the right from the top of the climb out of Seathwaite.

Looking back to Styhead Tarn from near to the mountain rescue stretcher box.

On to the Corridor route and the mighty gash of Piers Gill is seen on the face of Lingmell..

Great and Green Gable from the Corridor route..

Wasdale Head with Yewbarrow and Red Pike above.

Looking over to the southern face of Great Gable, Napes Needle stands out against the sky.
The Corridor route passes the now dry Skew Gill.

This is where we left the Corridor route, climbing the pathless hillside in the direction of Great End. The Gables and Styhead Tarn behind us..

And the same view from the top of the grassy rise on which Lambfoot Dub is perched.

Here we are at the tiny but lovely tarn. 

The tarn is exposed to the sky all day so in theory should be relatively warm and the top couple of inches were very pleasant but below that the water was quite refreshing.

Well I couldn't walk all that way and just watch could I?  :)

Sue ticking her list in the Lambfoot infinity pool.

Lambfoot Dub and the Gables..

The rough crags of Great End tower above the tarn.

A look down to the Corridor route far below.

Eventually we had to drag ourselves away and not wanting to retrace our steps we decided to see if there was a way up to the Esk Hause to Scafell Pike path following Greta Gill.

We headed for the green corridor through the crags.

The climb was quite simple although a little rough in places.

Great view from a rest stop. Lingmell directly ahead, Kirk Fell to the right, and Red Pike, Scoat Fell and Pillar in the distance.

Soon we were at the top People must use this route as there were a couple of cairns and a faint path..

Back on familiar ground now with Esk Pike, Bowfell and Crinkle Crags all in a line.

Heading down through Esk Hause looking to Sprinkling Tarn

IMHO the view from the top of the Grains Gill path is one of the finest in Lakeland.

The summit of Great Gable from the Grains Gill path..

Looking back to Great End as we temporarily lose the sun
Back to Stockley Bridge now and fantastically clear water in Grains Gill

Seathwaite farm again but this time with afternoon shadows.
Our Route was Seathwaite farm - Stockley Bridge - Styhead Tarn - Corridor Route - Lambfoot Dub - Greta Gill - Esk Hause - Grains Gill - Stockley Bridge - Seathwaite farm. ( about 7 miles 2800ft ascent )

« Last Edit: 12:40:31, 02/07/18 by karl h »

beefy

• Veteran Member
Tremendous pics Karl  O0
Phew I bet you were pleased to cool off in there,
I bet ya missed me though remembering our Scottish swim  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Looks a lovely walk and a great place to cool down.  Looks very quiet too for a Sunday.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Beautiful - and nothing like a bit of wild swimming on a hot day!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

adalard

• Veteran Member
Wonderful photos, Karl - the clarity and the colours are just beautiful.  O0 

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
Utterly amazing! Great photos - what a fantastic way to enjoy the fells. I hadn't heard of Lambfoot Dub before - but have now located it on the map. How did you/Sooz ever hear about it? It's tucked away off the beaten track.

These boards and the people who post here are inspirational...

April

• Veteran Member
Great photos Karl  O0 The route up from the tarn had "Karl route" written all over it  ;)

I've never visited this tarn yet, I will eventually but I doubt I will be swimming in it after you two have been in it  ;)
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Fantastic Karl! Hope you and Sue are both well :) :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Wonderful photos Karl.
Looks like a place worth a visit.

karl h

• Veteran Member
Tremendous pics Karl  O0
Phew I bet you were pleased to cool off in there,
I bet ya missed me though remembering our Scottish swim  ;D
Cheers Beefy mate O0  With April's cooking and your skinnydipping that few days in Scotland is etched into my memory however hard I try to forget ;D

Looks a lovely walk and a great place to cool down.  Looks very quiet too for a Sunday.

Thanks mate. It was very refreshing. and was quiet even when we rejoined the Scafell superhighway ;)

Beautiful - and nothing like a bit of wild swimming on a hot day!
Thank you  O0
Lambfoot is about 5 foot deep so you can properly swim rather than wallow in the mud ;D

Wonderful photos, Karl - the clarity and the colours are just beautiful.  O0 

Thanks adalard. You're very kind O0

Utterly amazing! Great photos - what a fantastic way to enjoy the fells. I hadn't heard of Lambfoot Dub before - but have now located it on the map. How did you/Sooz ever hear about it? It's tucked away off the beaten track.

These boards and the people who post here are inspirational...

Thank you Sarah, I cant remember how I heard about Lambfoot Dub, probably was the same way you now know about it, via the internet. I had an unsuccessful search for it in 2009 and I camped by it in 2012. Sue like most women knows everything about everything  :D

Great photos Karl  O0 The route up from the tarn had "Karl route" written all over it  ;)

I've never visited this tarn yet, I will eventually but I doubt I will be swimming in it after you two have been in it  ;)

Thanks April O0  Our route was vetted by the sensible route checker so was perfectly safe  ;)  I won't tell Sue that you cast aspersions on her personal hygiene :D

Fantastic Karl! Hope you and Sue are both well :) :)
Thanks Tracey O0  We are both fine, we must sort out a walk in the PD with you.

Wonderful photos Karl.
Looks like a place worth a visit.

Cheers Ridge O0  It definitely is worth the effort to find it

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy