Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292377 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #810 on: 23:21:18, 02/07/19 »
Two polyester baselayers from Mountain Warehouse in Aviemore - £7.99 & £9.99.

Rather cheaper than the £25-£35 offerings in the more upmarket shops, and I'm sure that they will do the job just the same.
« Last Edit: 23:25:22, 02/07/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

taxino8

« Reply #811 on: 19:29:56, 04/07/19 »
After an overnight below Angle Tarn I stopped off in Keswick for a wash, etc and came out of Rathbone’s with a new Leki Makalu Lite walking pole.
My old one, a Leki Super Makalu has had some use over the last twelve or so years and the twist lock mechanism was becoming more difficult to tighten so had to go.
It’s a lot lighter and the speed lock system looks an improvement but only time will tell.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #812 on: 20:00:36, 07/07/19 »
I've bought two metres of Sinylon to make a new rain skirt and enough spare to make another one if and when needed.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #813 on: 20:10:17, 07/07/19 »
Replaced my well worn walking shoes and bought some Merrell Moab 2 GORE-TEX Shoes. Feel very comfy out of the box and looking forward to using them on the Ridgeway next month.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #814 on: 20:40:58, 07/07/19 »
Some Craghoppers Kiwi trousers and Nosilife shirts. I think Crahoppers’ quality control has gone downhill. There were noticeable dimensional differences between pairs that were the same size and the material doesn’t seem as good as the older, well worn pairs that I have.

I also bought a Tilley hat. I wasn’t looking to spend that much on a hat, but for those of us with a large brain capacity there aren’t too many options. :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #815 on: 20:47:30, 07/07/19 »
...I think Crahoppers’ quality control has gone downhill. There were noticeable dimensional differences between pairs that were the same size and the material doesn’t seem as good as the older, well worn pairs that I have....

I'm glad it's not just me that's noticed this  :(

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #816 on: 10:04:29, 08/07/19 »
I popped into Decathlon a couple of days ago and bought a very lightweight and loose (I don't have the legs for tights) pair of jogging trousers which I will use as back up when I'm hiking. £12.99, a bit expensive but when I tried them out yesterday they were supremely comfortable.

Our Decathlon (Head office is in Mons) is staffed by a number of young French people. I personally love listening to French people speaking English, its all very Maurice Chevalier/Sacha Distal! I also watched the latest film with Jean Reno yesterday, he's got a good accent as well.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #817 on: 17:44:55, 15/07/19 »
I (in effect) paid £23.50 this morning at Cotswold Outdoor for a £110 pair of Merrell Chameleon 7 Slam walking shoes.  :)

I loved my Merrell Pulsate Ventilator shoes that I bought for a discounted £70 a little over 4 months ago. They've been the most comfortable summer walking shoes I've ever had, but after about 900 miles the soles had worn quite thin and I was planning to replace them. Then yesterday, on what was to be their final outing, I noticed the sole had started to part company with the upper.

So today I took them to my local Cotswold Outdoor to ask whether the split was fair wear-and-tear or a defect. Despite the mileage, I was told it was a defect and I was due a refund. I bought the Chameleon 7 Slam shoes costing £110 - less the usual (Ramblers) discount of 15% - for £93.50, less the £70 refund for my worn-out shoes, making a grand total of £23.50!

Nice one Cotswold!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #818 on: 18:10:56, 15/07/19 »
Nice one Whistable Dave! I've always found that Cotswold have treated me well and fairly when I've presented them with a poorly made product.

I lost yet another pair of wrap around 'sunglasses' yesterday, so I popped off to my local Decathlon shop this afternoon and bought another pair, £2.99, plus a pair of flip-flops, £3.99.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #819 on: 18:40:00, 15/07/19 »
Nice one Whistable Dave! I've always found that Cotswold have treated me well and fairly when I've presented them with a poorly made product.

I lost yet another pair of wrap around 'sunglasses' yesterday, so I popped off to my local Decathlon shop this afternoon and bought another pair, £2.99, plus a pair of flip-flops, £3.99.

Sun glasses, beanie hats, gloves...basically any small item that are constantly taken off and put on again later in walk...I always end up losing them.

I think at 3 quid I'd have bought 2 pairs...postponing next time I needed to buy again a bit longer.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #820 on: 21:27:58, 15/07/19 »
Some Craghoppers Kiwi trousers and Nosilife shirts. I think Crahoppers’ quality control has gone downhill. There were noticeable dimensional differences between pairs that were the same size and the material doesn’t seem as good as the older, well worn pairs that I have.

I also bought a Tilley hat. I wasn’t looking to spend that much on a hat, but for those of us with a large brain capacity there aren’t too many options. :)
I just bought some Decathlon forclaz shorts.  They seem quite an improvement on the craghopper kiwi stretch shorts in both cut and little details, like having a popper (backed with velcto) instead of the button on my kiwi shorts.  £17.99 seemed a reasonable price too. 

MudMagnet

« Reply #821 on: 09:57:43, 18/07/19 »
DD Hammocks Superlight S Tarp.  Can't wait to try it out on the North to South Devon Bike ride.

Pipp

« Reply #822 on: 20:11:36, 18/07/19 »
Not technically a purchase as I've acquired it from a friend, but just got the Vango Trek 3 sleeping mat...a quick test on the office floor seemed comfortable enough!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #823 on: 20:41:34, 18/07/19 »
An 8.5mm alloy tent pole all the way from China, along with a pair of 150 degree bent sections to replace a broken pole in the tunnel tent that I use for wild camping - total cost less than £20. Quality seems OK, but I'll need to get busy with the hacksaw and needle file to cut them to the correct length.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #824 on: 11:42:19, 20/07/19 »
Not really walking as such but related in a small way.

I've just brought one of these, only in "HOT RED".

I've been doing quite a bit of cycling lately in part to try and strengthen my knee and also to get fitter. My old bike is a 30-something year old Raleigh, so old that it was actually made in Nottingham. Every time I go out it seems something else breaks, so time for a new one. The new bike is an out and out tourer, built to handle un-surfaced gravel tracks. Hopefully that will enable it to negotiate Scotland's roads and take me on some future camping adventures.   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy