Author Topic: TR Ridge-son's last Wainwright  (Read 2495 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR Ridge-son's last Wainwright
« on: 14:34:04, 26/07/19 »
We had 2 possible routes planned for today both of which started at the Mirehouse car park on the A591. As we parked up the decision was obvious, we should give Bakestall and Skiddaw a miss, it was going to be the shorter and lower route today.

We set off following one of the way marked paths though the forest heading north parallel to the road and slowly gaining height.

We emerged from under the trees to climb up the side of Ullock Pike

The route ahead as we climbed the ridge.

The cloud still hadn't lifted by the time we got to the top of Ullock Pike

Looking down at Dodd through the cloud.

We walked over Long Side in the cloud but by the time we got to the top of Carl Side it had begun to lift.

Skiddaw was still completely enveloped in cloud. We felt that we had made the right decision on route at the beginning of the day for once.
We took the path south heading sharply down towards Applethwaite but then cut right to the bottom of Dodd before ascending it through the woods.

The summit of Dodd

I was last here 21 years ago when I had toiled up with a small child in a carrier on my back while he beat me over the head. He was so young that we had to wedge him in to the carrier with jumpers and, when he eventually fell asleep on the way down, tie him in with a spare boot lace to stop him slipping down.

He's grown a bit since the.

and over the valley the first Wainwright he walked up, Cat Bells.

Looking down at Bassenthwaite Lake.

A few raindrops started to fall again as the clouds began to gather and we hurtled down the paths to try and stay dry.
At one point, on a narrow path, a young family paused to let us walk past them and their little lad asked why we could walk so much faster than him. Remembering how, when my son was small, other people being interested in his walking meant so much to him, we stopped for a quick word of encouragement.

Then on to the tea room for celebratory tea and cake.

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Ridge-son's last Wainwright
« Reply #1 on: 15:45:20, 26/07/19 »
Great pics and write up ridge O0
Congratulations on finishing your Wainwrights
Now you can start them all again    ;D
I'm on my third round  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:47:28, 26/07/19 »
Billiant - I remember you saying that this would be Ridge Junior's last one, having carried him up there the first time - it must have been very emotional. And a lovely route to finish on too.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:26:23, 26/07/19 »

Thanks gents

I'm on my third round  :D
I suppose he is already on his second round as he has done a number more than once.

Billiant - I remember you saying that this would be Ridge Junior's last one, having carried him up there the first time - it must have been very emotional. And a lovely route to finish on too.
Yes lovely route, he'd done most of it before  Dodd was the only one he had to tick off to finish them.
Surprisingly unemotional actually. Maybe it is because it isn't really an end, we'll be back to walk there again and there are loads of places and routes left to see for the first time. Or perhaps we are just insensitive souls.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:17:35, 26/07/19 »
Yeah, know what you mean - but still a good feeling.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:40:34, 26/07/19 »
You may have been unemotional - me  :'(  :)

Lovely report Ridge, you should come up to the Lakes more often, but I know you can't. I do love your photos and reports tho O0

The pic of you and your son on Dodd summit is priceless, you say you were unemotional; the pic is pure joy on your faces, brilliant! Fancy that, no zip wires or cable cars necessary!

Congratulations Ridge son on finishing your first round of AW's  O0
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:55:11, 26/07/19 »

Thanks April
The pic of you and your son on Dodd summit is priceless, you say you were unemotional; the pic is pure joy on your faces, brilliant!
Yes, that is true we were 'happy' emotional.

Fancy that, no zip wires or cable cars necessary!
Who would have thought a young person happy in the Lakes and not a McDonalds or fairground for miles.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:51:08, 26/07/19 »
It's a great thing to introduce your children to mountains - I regard it as a lifelong gift.

PS - congratulations to Ridgeson - is he going to graduate on to the Munros next?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:51:36, 26/07/19 »
..and that view down towards Catbells is beautiful.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:15:31, 26/07/19 »
Thanks Richard, I was given the gift by my Dad and it was no hardship to pass it on.
He, and I, have barely been walking in Scotland but he was up near Glasgow earlier this year so perhaps the Munros will be on the cards.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:55:57, 27/07/19 »
My father gave me the gift of mountains when I was 7 - Helm Crag. I can still remember it.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:11:26, 27/07/19 »
I can't remember any specific walk. We often went walking in the Peaks as we lived on the edge of Sheffield and all holidays would include at least a couple of good days walking.
I do remember when I was 9 we went on a class walk from school and only a couple of us turned up in boots. I hadn't realised until then that not everyone owned them.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 03:46:40, 28/07/19 »
Great photos Ridge & congrats to your son on his achievement O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:49:15, 28/07/19 »
Brilliant O0
Congratulations to your lad. You must be one proud dad :)
As for what to do next there are loads of hill lists or no lists at all just climb your favourites as they say walk your own walk :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:19:51, 28/07/19 »
Thanks Karl.
Very proud of him and really pleased that he enjoys his walking and will still let his Dad tag along.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy