Author Topic: TR - South of Ennerdale  (Read 808 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR - South of Ennerdale
« on: 10:47:39, 25/07/17 »
Parking on the Calder Bridge to Ennerdale road, under the shoulder of Blakely Raise we walked north along the road to pic up the bridle way heading NE.
Almost immediately about 25 horses came galloping down the fell side, most were passing behind us but 2 made a deliberate decision to head in our direction. There being no where to go we just stood behind a small clump of reads to see what would happen and they stopped about 6' away from us before they went on their way to join their compatriots. We continued on our way through the first section of plantation to find that the areas on the side of Grike and Crag Fell had been cleared.
Going through the boundary fence we fulled up the short, steep grass side of Grike.

Looking ahead to the next top, Crag Fell

A short down and up and we were on Crag Fell with views down in to Ennerdale

We then had the long, long slog up and over Iron Crag towards Caw Fell, following a substantial dry-stone wall which is being restored.

Coming up on to Caw Fell

Caw Fell summit

We then backtracked over Iron Fell, once again filling our water bottles from its scummy puddle of a tarn. It was an overcast and quite breezy day but still very warm and there were few opportunities to pick up water.

Turning west across Whoap we managed to miss the path which forked for Lank Rigg witnessed by the only 4 other people we saw all day. Correcting our error we headed to the summit.

Lank Rigg

Again a slight back track to the col before we followed Whoap Beck down across some very marshy ground along its deserted valley.

Looking back the way we had come as we headed up Bomery Gill to get back to the road.

Once back at the car we headed south, against more traffic than I would have thought that road would have seen in a month, as the first deluge of what was to become that nights torrential storm started to fall.

adalard

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - South of Ennerdale
« Reply #1 on: 11:11:38, 25/07/17 »
Looks like another great walk. I've not explored that part of the Lake District.

I think the horses would have proper put the wind up me! I guess there's little option but to stand still and hope for the best if you're out in the open like that... Though I'd probably have closed my eyes too!  :-\

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:26:40, 25/07/17 »
I'd never been round there before, it is a bit remote to get to but worth the effort.

I can't say I was overjoyed at the horses heading towards us but, as there was nowhere to go, we had little choice but to wait and see what happened. I did step off the track in case they decided to turn along it.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:10:58, 25/07/17 »
More great pics  O0 We have seen the horses there too. Thankfully they didn't race toward us. The traffic would be the people who work at Sellafield using the Coldfell Road as a shortcut. It can get very busy with traffic on that road at times, I've nearly had a crash with someone driving at a silly speed around a bend, I just swerved out of the way in time. Again you missed the bad weather. How do you manage to do this? What is your secret?  :)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:33:15, 25/07/17 »
Thanks April. I did wonder if it was the 8.00 - 4.00 shift clocking off as it was about 4.30 when we were driving back.

Unfortunately the weather didn't hold out much longer for us, the next TR will feature gloves, hats and proper navigation. Our final day was so wet and windy we didn't even put our boots on just packed the car and came home.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:26:34, 25/07/17 »
We have encountered the Sellafield rush hour too on Cold Fell Road. The drivers know the road well and take no prisoners!!

As it is distant over that way, we walked from there on our way 'in' to Wasdale when we had a weekend away - poss at the Strands that time.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:44:29, 25/07/17 »
We have encountered the Sellafield rush hour too on Cold Fell Road. The drivers know the road well and take no prisoners!!
Yes they definitely were drivers who knew the road.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy