Author Topic: Any one not use a sit mat?  (Read 2842 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Any one not use a sit mat?
« on: 01:34:19, 17/03/20 »
I have read many a kit list for the mountains.  A number of MRT deride the use of a sit mat as a frivolous toy  for tourists. That  will blow away at the first opportunity. Prefering apparently to sit on their ruck sacks.

I don't follow this argument at all.  I always carry and often use my little yellow sit mat.  I have had the same one since I started back waking it works a treat on wet grass rock or snow keeping my bum warm and dry whilst giving me access to my rucksack, which I can then lean back on for further insulation on a cold day.

I have had two bobble hats blow off and never be seen again though.   ;D

snaderson

Re: Any one not use a sit mat?
« Reply #1 on: 07:38:32, 17/03/20 »
I always use a sit mat. Great for wet or uneven (rocky) ground. Occasionally it sticks to icy rocks :) I don't understand sitting on your bag - won't you crush your crisps?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:38:49, 17/03/20 »
I don't carry one but I certainly don't deride those that do - each to their own. If I can't find a decent rock or log, I'll just sit on my cagoule or rucksack.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:16:49, 17/03/20 »
I have a small collapsible chair, think it has a mass of 800 gm.  May change the legs to CF ones if I can.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:32:50, 17/03/20 »
Never heard of a sit mat before, no I don't carry one. I use a big plastic bag to keep my bum dry. Find a big rock, or a log, or a grassy bank, preferably with a wall behind it to support my back. Would never sit on my rucksack.
ilona

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:52:53, 17/03/20 »
I too have a yellow one that I’ve had for years. Weighs nothing.  Several times I have nearly left it behind, once I did walk off about 20 yards before realising. Have to be careful it doesn't blow away when you get up!

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:20:59, 17/03/20 »
Me, never had one. Sit on me rucksack or jacket.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:29:04, 17/03/20 »
I rarely if ever sit, too hard to get going again.  I prefer to keep moving, if I need a break, I take it standing up and make it as short as possible. 
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:27:39, 17/03/20 »
I rarely if ever sit, too hard to get going again.  I prefer to keep moving, if I need a break, I take it standing up and make it as short as possible.

That explains it...... ;)

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:52:27, 17/03/20 »
 ;D ;D ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Yorci

« Reply #10 on: 12:05:54, 17/03/20 »
I use the Compact Kumfie.

I picked it up in Blacks for a couple of quid. It opens up to 15" x 11.5" and folds up to 4" x 11.5" so slides nicely in to my pack or the back pocket of my gillet. Hardly any weight and it's easy to clean. Keeps my backside dry and warm in winter. I use to use my pack, but snacks tend to get squished and had to keep getting up if I needed owt from my pack.

Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:50:14, 17/03/20 »
That is a very pretty blue colour but I am not sure I like the logo.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:01:08, 17/03/20 »
I use a mat and sometimes a small tarp too, and have been known to use my lunch box as a pillow and fall asleep in the sunshine. Only to wake myself up because of snoring. I apologise to any wild life I have disturbed in the past.
I have no objection to sitting on grass or logs. It is just that I cannot remember the last time I came across any dry ground. ???
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:02:12, 17/03/20 »
That is a very pretty blue colour but I am not sure I like the logo.
It is easy to clean though.!
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Stube

« Reply #14 on: 13:08:09, 17/03/20 »
I have a sitmat, but only use it as an extension to my 3/4 length sleeping mat when winter camping (rare). I've added a foil surface for warmth and use as a stove windshield.

The rest of the year I generally  use a pound shop picnic rug (you can layout on it) also stops muddy knees as a footprint for the tent vestibule.

If day walking, will either use my map case or the skirt of my poncho if really wet - generally I don't bother with anything. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy