Author Topic: Hugh Seat/Mallerstang query  (Read 4656 times)

lightweightmick

Hugh Seat/Mallerstang query
« on: 10:34:41, 03/03/20 »
Could save me an expensive recce weekend...
Looks like there's a quad track west from Hugh Seat via near the cairn E of Rowan Tree cove.
Planning descent to Howe Side/Elmgill to pick up the Pennine Bridleway heading for Ravenstonedale.
Anyone familiar with this line?

Looks good going on OS and Google, but could be boggy round Red Gill crossing...
Direct line or detour?

Any input much appreciated  O0
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Hugh Seat/Mallerstang query
« Reply #1 on: 11:55:38, 03/03/20 »
Anyone familiar with this line?

Not that particular descent line, on our last backpack along the High Seat ridge we descended west from Little Fell farther south to join the Pennine Bridleway, alongside Jingling Sike. That was back in 2008, I remember the fellside being generally rather rough and tussocky on that line, boggy in places too (it certainly will be right now!).

I also noted at that time there was evidence of activity involving new shooting butts and track-scarring of the fellside around Little Fell: where did you see evidence of that quad track from Hugh Seat?. I can't see it on aerial photos, if it exists it might be a new shooters' track.

lightweightmick

« Reply #2 on: 12:30:06, 03/03/20 »
Not that particular descent line, on our last backpack along the High Seat ridge we descended west from Little Fell farther south to join the Pennine Bridleway, alongside Jingling Sike. That was back in 2008, I remember the fellside being generally rather rough and tussocky on that line, boggy in places too (it certainly will be right now!).

I also noted at that time there was evidence of activity involving new shooting butts and track-scarring of the fellside around Little Fell: where did you see evidence of that quad track from Hugh Seat?. I can't see it on aerial photos, if it exists it might be a new shooters' track.
Your Jingling Syke line could suit me - come out at Hell Gill Bridge?
Just checking my original line - could actually be from Lady's Pillar - just confirming...
« Last Edit: 14:44:23, 03/03/20 by lightweightmick »

lightweightmick

« Reply #3 on: 13:24:00, 03/03/20 »
(it certainly will be right now!).

Just in planning stage (should be dryer for my attempt - fingers crossed anyway...) - my usual line is from Keld up Birkdale to pick up the shooter's track and continue over Lodge Hags to come S end of High Brae - drop down the Hush and descend to meet the bridle to Castlethwaite. It's a good line and better than my first choice this way which was up beside White Spots Gutter and over Uldale Gill Head (the N flowing water courses become more established here)
Care needs to be taken over Lodge hags though and I got it wrong on one crossing in the mist to end up knee deep in bogs which put me 2  hours down - hence the decision not to go overr on the Bike Hike route!

Variety being the spice of life though...  new line plan: stay on rd from Satron to Muker making for Gt Shunner Fell track and head NW from summit following fence line to Knoutberry Currack - it's just a matter of finding a way down from the ridge. The Pennine Bway will take me to my destination at Bowber Head & Cumbria Coaches - hopefully they will have a shower..? I have stayed there with the van when reccying in the past. It may yet prove to be too much of a stretch from Lovesome Hill though... the armchair planning doesn't always add up in practice!
Thanks for the info  O0

lightweightmick

« Reply #4 on: 13:41:12, 03/03/20 »

did you see evidence of that quad track from Hugh Seat?.
No, the quad track looks to go all over the place up there suggesting it's reasonable underfoot..?
The Red Gill crossing appears to be at 806992 then a clear(?) path looks like it descends to N of Hell Gill to become the quad track I was referring to - passes by a sheep fold and a cairn - should be clear way down W then between Cairn and Raven's Nest - looks simples...
A direct line W from the fence via Currick to the Cairn would be good, but a Hell Gill crossing on that line.

I found a route on this forum from Dave(?) but he descends further to the N nr Archy Styrigg as I recall... which would put me on the wrong side (N) for picking up the PB without an awkward dogleg...
All good fun!
Cheers, thanks for your input  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:24:41, 03/03/20 »
I can't really see the quad track you mean in the OS aerial view but it is not a line I have ever contemplated.  The edge of Mallerstang Edge does what it says on the tin so I have never tried it.
The traditional line is part of this https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1911463/150607-Yomp.  I have done other trips ion that ridge but the have all been along it.
Have a look in haroldstreet.org.uk. You can call up a map of routes in that area.  Any belonging to ninthace are mine so I could answer questions on them.
Solvitur Ambulando

lightweightmick

« Reply #6 on: 00:54:21, 04/03/20 »
I can't really see the quad track you mean in the OS aerial view but it is not a line I have ever contemplated.  The edge of Mallerstang Edge does what it says on the tin so I have never tried it.
The traditional line is part of this https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1911463/150607-Yomp.  I have done other trips ion that ridge but the have all been along it.
Have a look in haroldstreet.org.uk. You can call up a map of routes in that area.  Any belonging to ninthace are mine so I could answer questions on them.
cheers, I'm on it now

lightweightmick

« Reply #7 on: 02:10:34, 04/03/20 »
cheers, I'm on it now
I've replotted a route that I think will work  - looks good - picks up a clear path/trod on N side of Hell Gill to pass by the sheepfold - crosses the hill bagger's track and (on your N/S line - I'm presuming, for now, that's where the cairn is) and goes W downhill... falling asleep at the wheel now though...

lightweightmick

« Reply #8 on: 15:46:09, 04/03/20 »
I've replotted a route that I think will work  - looks good - picks up a clear path/trod on N side of Hell Gill to pass by the sheepfold - crosses the hill bagger's track and (on your N/S line - I'm presuming, for now, that's where the cairn is) and goes W downhill... falling asleep at the wheel now though...
Gpx file into GE Pro ...
=AZV4jKFHwnwlOSHcGheK3BsqaGCNb2Y61j-djmOXvLsNzF7ze003vxqDIBLkc-Fc4tMVU3BBL0ywYtc-5sZGjeXibh5KmYps32RlLKhbTN6emg&__tn__=EH-R]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10221843965705609&set=a.1233144626036&type=3&av=1151765496&eav=Afbs1h9IgdBeQbFLui_MyLtLRqpSV5g-BA7NViD2LzO8hSRq7IzP8i5Kjzro-iMN-6U&__cft__[0]=AZV4jKFHwnwlOSHcGheK3BsqaGCNb2Y61j-djmOXvLsNzF7ze003vxqDIBLkc-Fc4tMVU3BBL0ywYtc-5sZGjeXibh5KmYps32RlLKhbTN6emg&__tn__=EH-R

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:06:03, 04/03/20 »
Gpx file into GE Pro ...

Can't check it I'm afraid - need to be logged into FB.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:47:19, 04/03/20 »
Can't check it I'm afraid - need to be logged into FB.
Ditto - no farcebook account
Solvitur Ambulando

lightweightmick

« Reply #11 on: 17:10:18, 04/03/20 »
Ditto - no farcebook account
Raw GPX file..? Sorry, I don't have an image only hosting whatsit..? For some reason I'm blocked from instagram... never used it lol
« Last Edit: 17:17:12, 04/03/20 by lightweightmick »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:29:59, 04/03/20 »
Raw GPX file..? Sorry, I don't have an image only hosting whatsit..? For some reason I'm blocked from instagram... never used it lol
  Screengrab and post it via postimage.org.  You do not need an account.
There are also public file sharing facilities - not my area of expertise though but I have consumed the product.  I am sure there is someone who could talk you through it.
« Last Edit: 17:48:22, 04/03/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:16:24, 04/03/20 »
For the GPX file itself in text form, you could try PasteBin.

I've never used it myself, quite amazing after so many years of being aware of it, but it seems it couldn't be easier: to post a block of text you don't need an account, just paste the text into the textbox and hit Create New Paste.
Then I assume it gives you a link to your Paste.

Be a pioneer and let us know if it works  :)

Incidentally, I checked the options and this board doesn't permit attachments to posts.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:41:09, 04/03/20 »
I was thinking something less complicated such as:
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy