Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276050 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1380 on: 14:35:48, 01/09/20 »
The south east of England has a perhaps surprising variety of beautiful landscapes. But as I live on the south coast, it's a long way for me to go 'up North'! So I haven't done much walking up there.

Absolutely - we certainly have a varied landscape in the south-east!  O0

Living on the North Kent coast, going north is no problem at all. We take the Dartford crossing between Kent and Essex and bypass London entirely.  That also works when heading south into Kent.  ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1381 on: 14:40:05, 01/09/20 »
The thing is though, if it is a choice between the Downs and the Highlands, the Highlands are always going to win. Less traffic too - a lot less.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1382 on: 14:52:59, 01/09/20 »
The thing is though, if it is a choice between the Downs and the Highlands, the Highlands are always going to win. Less traffic too - a lot less.

The thing is, that for us it's not an either/or. We do the Downs from home and the Highlands (but preferably the Islands) during holidays.

We like to travel.  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1383 on: 16:11:31, 01/09/20 »
I see where you are coming from there, Dave.

..and of course, for you, France is just a short hop away.

BrionyB

« Reply #1384 on: 16:32:41, 01/09/20 »
The thing is, that for us it's not an either/or. We do the Downs from home and the Highlands (but preferably the Islands) during holidays.

We like to travel.  :)

It's the same for me. The Highlands are wonderful, but it's a long and expensive journey and not always practical (I'd actually hoped to get up to Aviemore in June, but the lockdown put paid to that; maybe next year). Whereas the Downs and south coast make for an easy day trip, and while they don't compare with the Highlands or even the Lake District in terms of beauty or "wildness", they're quite a lot nicer than London  :) .

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1385 on: 16:59:48, 01/09/20 »
I  set up today's walk to be convenient for one of my very favourite pubs which, according to its website, had recently come out of its pandemic sleep.  Since the Tour de France was on, I plotted a Tour de Crediton, to work my way round the eponymous town.  I thought a mix of rural and light urban might make a change and introduce some different navigational opportunities - I have never found the OS to be that brilliant at urban mapping.

The first village we walked through had set up a scarecrow trail where the kids, with a little help from mum and dad I suspect, had set up scarecrows representing all the trades and professions we should be grateful to for helping us through the current crisis.  It was quite well done and rather touching.

As to the walk itself.  I forgot my phone for some reason so had to fall back on my Garmin.  It was fine until halfway through crossing the edge of town when I walked off the 25000 OS map.  Fortunately, I also keep Open Source mapping in my Etrex so I switched to that.  It was much clearer and easier to read.  When we walked back out into the rural sections the clarity of the urban picture became a paucity.  So I switched to one of the free maps suggested by Sussamb many posts ago and that was fine - not up to OS standard, but plenty good enough.

When I planned the night before, I knew the Etrex did not have on board all the OS 25000 mapping it needed but it was not a complicated route so I did not bother since I intended to use my phone anyway.

And the pub?  It was shut!

P.S. for Jac = do you know of any good parking spots for walking in the woods south of Crediton

Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1386 on: 19:46:05, 03/09/20 »
Enjoying a wild camp at Hard Tarn SE of Helvellyn. Raining.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1387 on: 17:07:38, 04/09/20 »
Broke camp and climbed very steep ground at the head on Ruthwaite Cove  :o , before heading north over Helvellyn. Very windy, cold and sometimes wet on top, so bailed out at Sticks Pass, which turned out to be an interesting way down to Glenridding. Returned to car at Hartsop along lovely bridleway running down east side of valley. :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1388 on: 19:40:34, 08/09/20 »

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #1389 on: 20:56:06, 08/09/20 »
Diddy 6 miles for me tomorrow around Porthcothan.  Unfit non walker 67year old neighbour has decided to lose some of his 18 stones and decided i should be his guide/helper for the day. 

Wish me luck, i dont think my 10 stone frame could carry him if it goes badly.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1390 on: 08:00:03, 14/09/20 »
Glorious weather here in the Lakes, so heading for the hills. Toying with the idea of a wild camp on top of Glaramara. :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1391 on: 13:18:35, 15/09/20 »
Recovering at the moment, as my arms and legs are a bit tender, having exposed them whilst doing the Eigiau Horseshoe yesterday.

The start of the walk, anticlockwise from the carpark, was very unpleasant, intense heat, which almost made me turn around and head home, as i was sweating profusely.

Arrived at Llewellyn in 2hrs 6min, and even on the tops of the Carneddau, there was no cooling breeze.

What should i do ?  turn around and head back the way i came, or soldier on towards Pen Yr Helyg Ddu

Yippee, respite from the fiery furnace, a very strong breeze at Craig Yr Ysfa, so on i went, and back at Eigiau carpark, in just under six hours.

Mild sunburn, but it itches like mad this morning.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1392 on: 19:40:12, 17/09/20 »
I walk about 7 miles around Appleby, every day. Even when I was being lazy for a bit I walked about 3 miles a day. Yesterday I ran 9 miles and walked 7. I walk loads. I also run over a thousand miles a year. Appleby is a lovely place to walk around but I never do any walking that would appeal to the adventurous anymore. I wish I had a walk worth talking about, this forum was an important part of my journey and I do love walking but I no longer have a car and I have a visually impaired fiancé (we're getting married!) so it's problematic reaching anywhere :-\ I'm going to have access to a vehicle again soon though albeit only intermittently on a shared basis and hope I will soon have a walk that you'd find interesting to share.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1393 on: 19:52:56, 17/09/20 »
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding Rob. You joined the forum around the same time as me and it has been interesting to read about your journey over that time.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1394 on: 20:55:58, 17/09/20 »
Congratulations, Rob - I wish you every happiness together.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy