Author Topic: Advice for Nevis Walk Mid June  (Read 2288 times)

branchini1979

Advice for Nevis Walk Mid June
« on: 13:23:37, 12/05/19 »

Hi Guys,

I will be doing a solo trip from down south up to Fort William to climb Nevis, and am doing some research and have come up with a plan but was hoping you guys could help me.

I want a challenge but not over the top, so for thoughts were to climb the CMD Arete to Nevis on the ascent and then descent the mountain tract to Glen Nevis.

Is there anywhere I could download the GPX for this?

I will be camping in Lochyside, so is it best to get a bus to Torlundy and walk to the North face car park to start the ascent?

This will be done on one of the full days, but I will be there for another full day the previous day so could you recommend anything else to do around Fort William? (I may have to pop into the distillery ;-))

Thank you all for your help

Lee

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Solvitur Ambulando

sparnel

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice for Nevis Walk Mid June
« Reply #2 on: 18:21:45, 12/05/19 »
Lee   -    take a taxi to Torlundy; buses are infrequent.  For your first day, you could ascend Stob Bhan
and/or Sgurr A'Mhaim.  These two Munros are accessed from the end of Glen Nevis. Again a taxi is recommended to get there......its not far from where you are camping and should be a reasonable cost.
Have a great time in the Nevis area..............Sparnel

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:25:59, 13/05/19 »
I've got my eye on a route from the head of Glen Nevis, through the Nevis Gorge, then up the wild valley to the north of Steall, climbing up on to the Aonach More - Carn More Dearg ridge, then west onto the summit of CMD before tackling the arete and on to Ben Nevis. Return through the crowds via the Tourist path. This is a big walk that will take you into some wild, rarely frequented country. Busses run most of the way up Glen Nevis, I believe.

As others have mentioned, the Mamores to the south of Glen Nevis provide plenty of opportunities for hillwalking.

PS - welcome to the forum. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

branchini1979

« Reply #4 on: 11:08:40, 13/05/19 »

Thank you guys for your replies so far.

I am thinking that the one definite will be descending via the mountain path (tourist track) but I would like to ascend via a different route and heard via the CMD arete to Ben Nevis was a challenging but reqarding route.

Also thank you for your suggestions for other things to do on my other full day there. Certainly plenty to think of.

As I will be doing this walk solo, if anyone is around on the 18th June who wants to climb Nevis, would be glad of the company :)

branchini1979

« Reply #5 on: 10:08:19, 07/06/19 »

Thank you guys for your replies so far.
I just have one more question I hope you can help with.

I have decided to do the more trickier route of walking Nevis, via the CMD Arete, starting at the North Face Car Park.

I will be staying in a campsite in Lochyside, and was looking at walking to the car park, but google maps takes you a long way round via the roads.
Are there any footpaths that are more direct to the car park and thus cut out a lot of distance?

10 days to go  :)

snoopdawg

« Reply #6 on: 20:12:06, 07/06/19 »
Don't know where you are staying but you could look at the first stage of The East Highland way which will take you to the North face car park.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/fort-william-spean-bridge.shtml

If you are in Glen Nevis you could ascend to the half way lochan via the tourist path and instead of ascending Ben Nevis from that point take the path across in the direction of the CIC hut drop down towards the burn and then by careful contouring access the hillside to take you to Carn Mor Dearg

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:30:00, 05/07/19 »
Hi there.

I walked in from the North face car park a few years ago.  It's a full days hike, but most definitely worth it.

There is a trip report here. 

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=32596.0

Enjoy...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy