Author Topic: Sign posted trails  (Read 3864 times)

cantreadmaps

Sign posted trails
« on: 21:36:37, 14/12/20 »
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a trail that is well sign posted and you don't really need a map for? I struggle massively with map reading so always walk with a partner, but would like to try a solo trail without getting lost.

Thank you

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Sign posted trails
« Reply #1 on: 22:46:10, 14/12/20 »
What part of the country are you in? Coastal paths seem a good starting point. Just keep the sea on the same side, then turn around and keep it on the other side. Can’t you practice map reading / following when with your walking companion? You control the map and compass and they are there in case of a complete loss of position. Another option is to get a gps unit or an app for your phone. You then need to make sure you have charged batteries and don’t drop the gps / phone.

Stube

« Reply #2 on: 22:54:19, 14/12/20 »
National Trails generally have the best signposting/waymarking.

The Cotswold Way is very well (excessively) waymarked.
The Thames  Path is easy to follow between Letchlade and Hampton Court since you just follow the river swapping banks occasionally. The first part is largely away from the river and the inner London section is often disrupted with new building works.
The South Downs Way is generally easy to follow since it is a bridleway so the route is obvious.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:02:25, 15/12/20 »
Canals are simple.As above coastal walks are easy to follow as are Riverside walks.

Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:05:07, 15/12/20 »
Welcome to the forum  :)

In addition to the useful comments about coastal trails and canal towpaths above, I would add trails following disused railway lines (obvious to follow), and waymarked trails in Forestry Commission forests - the signage is usually excellent.

But it woudl help if you told us where you do your walking, and the length of trail that you are looking for.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:45:08, 15/12/20 »
Another possibility is to head for a hill/mountain that even people who don't call themselves walkers have probably heard of. Snowdon and Kinder Scout are good bets, and possibly Cadair Idris, Pen y Fan, Yes Tor or any number of places in the Lake District. Simply park nearby and follow everyone else...
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:07:06, 15/12/20 »
Mountain Rescue will not thank you for giving that advice, Dave.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:00:19, 15/12/20 »
Hmm... well, I suppose that if following people up a well-trodden track is a bit too risky, then the answer might well be a treadmill!  ;)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:12:09, 15/12/20 »
Hmm... well, I suppose that if following people up a well-trodden track is a bit too risky, then the answer might well be a treadmill!  ;)

The problems caused by poor visibility can still cause problems in the hills even when they are well trodden - look at the story in News and Articles from last weekend where people were rescued from the Coniston Fells.

Better for the OP to use a GPS app such as the OS, and to maybe walk with some experienced people who can show him the basics of map reading

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:53:52, 15/12/20 »
Yes. Perhaps I should mention that my original post was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. But, even so, I made a point of saying: "...follow everyone else."

Oh well, never mind. 
« Last Edit: 14:11:03, 15/12/20 by WhitstableDave »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:04:44, 15/12/20 »
WhitstableDave - why the rolling eyes? Is that really necessary?

To the OP, good luck with your search, but I would really recommend an app such as the OS.  You can plot a route in advance, and then follow it on screen - great in easy country.  If you are venturing into the hills, maybe think about a navigation course - it could get you out of lots of difficulties, and would boost your confidence so that you do not need to rely on others for your routes.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:09:53, 15/12/20 »
I've often believed that the French system of 'signposting' the route is better than the UK's. They just use small painted red and white (for Grand Rondonee routes) paint flashes, on rocks, tree, posts etc and they are everywhere. They use actual signposts when two paths cross each other. When I walked the GR10 across the Pyrenees in 2015 it's so well 'signposted' that I could have done it without a map, assuming of course that the weather was reasonable. I did have to use my GPS phone map a couple of times but I only needed to this when it was foggy.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:11:44, 15/12/20 »
WhitstableDave - why the rolling eyes? Is that really necessary?
You are correct... eyes deleted!  :)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:19:35, 15/12/20 »
Thanks WD.

GWM - agreed - we walked the first part of the alpine section of the GR5 to Chamonix a few years ago, and from memory I only looked at the map the night before each day's walk to see what was in store - en route the flashes were sufficient.  Always amazes me in the alps, when you reach some high pass or summit and you think what an achievement it is, only to see signposts pointing in all directions.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:58:07, 15/12/20 »
The West Highland Way and the Great Glen Way are both very well signposted. On the GGW from Fort William to Fort Augustus you following canal towpaths and lochside paths, and the last bit to Inverness is well signed. Otherwise, as everyone else has said, canals and coast paths are easy to follow

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy