Author Topic: Lerryn to St. Winnow  (Read 1908 times)

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Lerryn to St. Winnow
« on: 09:58:18, 21/07/16 »
My wife and I went for a short afternoon walk yesterday, starting at Lerryn in south Cornwall.  This is a walk we have done many times and is one of my wife's favourites.
Lerryn is a small village that is situated in a very picturesque spot at the head of a tidal creek on the River Lerryn.  Unfortunately the tide was out yesterday afternoon and these photos would have been so much better with the tide in.

We parked in the (free!) car park facing the river and then set off across the stepping stones to the other side.
This is Mrs. DD carefully negotiating the stones and trying hard not to lose her balance and fall off into the mud.  That would have made a good photo!  ;D

On reaching the other side we turned left and soon entered Ethy Wood.  The path here goes through the wood, following the riverbank downstream.

A short distance further, the path leads down to a muddy beach.

There were a number of Little Egrets here, catching small fish.

Continuing on the path we eventually arrived at this seat that has been sited in a perfect position overlooking the river with a view downstream towards Fowey.

After sitting there for a while admiring the view we continued on into the small village of St. Winnow, then walked uphill on this path.  St. Winnow church can be seen below.

The path then continues uphill across a field, from the top of which is this view.

We then continued through several more fields, including this one that was full of barley.

There were quite a few Wall Brown butterflies sunning themselves on the path.

Next we passed this old corn mill, which I think is St. Winnow Mill.  The water-wheel has long gone.  I am surprised that no-one has converted it into a home, as happens with so many of these old mills.

The path then took us through the grounds of the 18th century Ethy House.

There are some fine specimen trees in the grounds.

From the house it was just a short way back down into Lerryn and the end of a very pleasant 5-mile walk.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Lerryn to St. Winnow
« Reply #1 on: 11:17:30, 21/07/16 »
Like! 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Lerryn to St. Winnow
« Reply #2 on: 11:32:28, 21/07/16 »
Thanks Tracey  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy