Author Topic: Fort William in Feb  (Read 6630 times)

KellyLouise

Fort William in Feb
« on: 22:34:52, 05/01/08 »
Hiya all. Ive booked a week away in fort william in Feb for a nice 'relaxing' holiday... :o

Any1 know any easygoing routes in this area? I know there are tonns, just wondered if there are any particulary 1s u'd recomend!

Thanks.
"Thus, though we cannot make our sun stand still,
Yet we will make him run!"

www.facebook.com/fromawanderingmind

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Fort William in Feb
« Reply #1 on: 22:56:28, 05/01/08 »
If you've got transport , there's some nice routes up at Glen Roy from Roybridge - including a nice little Marilyn called Beinn a Mhonicag (car park at the bottom) - steepish up and down path, but not a "serious" climb.
Then there's an easy trundle up the Lairig Leacach from Corriechoille near Spean Bridge - you can park a little way past Corriechoile farm on a rough track. The track goes to a bothy and goes through some quite impressive mountain scenery without being very serious. There's also waymarked forest paths to the same spot from a parking area on the minor road to  Corriechoile (have a look at Landranger41)
Walks along the Caledonian Canal are quite good too - and a bit easier than those above - eg from Corpach/Caol.
There's also footpaths along Glen Nevis by the river which are quite beautiful and worth an explore. The Nevis gorge at the head of the Glen is OK provided you stick closely to the path - and leads to a sort of hanging valley with big waterfalls and an interesting "bridge" (3 strands of wire!!)  People occasionally fall,off the path, though with serious consequences. Its worth going, though.
There's plenty of relaxing walking around there... you'll enjoy it.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

KellyLouise

« Reply #2 on: 23:24:33, 05/01/08 »
Thanks! Do you live up there? i'm liking the sound of the marilyn! Ive got transport so im able to explore! thanks for the quick reply!

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:32:54, 05/01/08 »
I live in Co Durham - but as it happens, I had a short holiday at Spean Bridge last August - and bagged Beinn Mhonicag on a short day. (And I've been mooching around the Highlands for quite a while, really)  Glen Roy is quite fab and has some features called parrallel roads, which aren't roads at all. But you'll have to go there to find out! I'd put some photos up, but my camera packed up that week (as did my car, the dishwasher at home, this computer and various other things)
Anyway, Beinn M is a short, sharp climb - quite steep but nothing to fall off! You'll be able to use your new boots too!
There'll have to be a trip report, obviously...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

KellyLouise

« Reply #4 on: 23:38:12, 05/01/08 »
Obviously! lol  ;D

Ive stayed in newtonmore, Kingussie, and Laggan, so fanied staying a bit further down route, seeing as i always drive along the A82 there and back, and love the scenery. It always seems greener for some reason!  :o

Beinn Mhonicag will defo be for me! owww Cant wait, counting the days already!

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:44:44, 05/01/08 »
Fort William as got the highest mountain in the UK.  It depends on what you're looking for really.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

KellyLouise

« Reply #6 on: 23:51:01, 05/01/08 »
dont tempt me! i'd love to do ben nevis, but need to build up my fitness first! Otherwish i'll get halfway up and roll back down!

;D
 ;D
 ;D

marmot

« Reply #7 on: 11:22:24, 08/01/08 »
What about trying the ski lifts if you're not that fit?  Then do the walk back down?

KellyLouise

« Reply #8 on: 14:37:02, 08/01/08 »
Good Idea!  O0

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:12:25, 09/01/08 »
The Fort William campsite is really good, although our group did get kicked off for being noisy (sorry to anyone who was there, it wasnt me honestly)

There is also a really cool laid back youth hostel in the town itself which is great value. There is also a YH near the campsite although i have not stayed in it.

Hope you enjoy yourself, its a pretty amazing place to visit, especially that big hill i cant remember the name of.

PS The Hog and Gruel (i think thats its name) in Fort William serves the best steak and ale pie ever.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:40:38, 10/01/08 »
dont tempt me! i'd love to do ben nevis, but need to build up my fitness first! Otherwish i'll get halfway up and roll back down!

;D
 ;D
 ;D

You'll be okay provided you take it steady,its quite an easy walk up the cart track,takes around 3-4 hours.Just watch the weather though,the Ben can be a real killer in February.Provided you have a settled day its worth the slog as the views from the top are breath taking,especially when the tops are covered in snow.

muymalestado

« Reply #11 on: 20:49:19, 17/03/08 »
Hey Kelly.

We've had February.  Have you had your Fort William?  Good?
I think this next one will be the top ...

KellyLouise

« Reply #12 on: 22:00:20, 17/03/08 »
No i had to cancel! mechanics on the car! Im going up on the 5th april now!!   Cant wait!

muymalestado

« Reply #13 on: 09:13:03, 18/03/08 »
Good - you'll beat the midges and with luck there will be easterly winds bringing rain to the east coast and sunshine to Fort William.
I think this next one will be the top ...

KellyLouise

« Reply #14 on: 20:56:14, 03/04/08 »
Ah well. I start my journey north tomorrow night!! Cant wait. I am hoping to tackle ben nevis too. Fingers crossed i get a good weather day. i dont think the forcasts are looking too good for the next week at the moment! i have my boots, my waterproofs, my layers, and my nice wooly hat! lol. Im staying in Blaich! yay yay yay!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy