Author Topic: TR another PW training walk  (Read 1100 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR another PW training walk
« on: 09:34:42, 18/07/20 »
Son of Ridge is home for a few weeks so we went out to get some miles in before next months Pennine Way.

Route - Ashley Green, Hawridge Court, Cholesbury, a 2.5 mile loop, Cholesbury again, Buckland Common, SW on Chiltern Way, Kingsash, NE on Ridgeway, Hastoe, Grim's Ditch, NE side of A41, Marlin Chapel Farm, Ashley Green.

Parking on the road side at Ashley Green a builder pointed us in the direction of the village car park to save our car from the trucks which he said use the lane.

It was a grey cool start to the day.

I promise, no more path through crops pictures.

The windmill in Chorlesbury is never easy to photograph as it hides behind the houses and today, chameleon like, it was blending in to the sky.

I don't normally care too much how long my walks are but at the moment I am trying to get in 20+ mile days so having planned and measured this walk I needed to extend it and added a loop round Chorlesbury and back.
This did give us the chance to see the impressive earth works at Chorlesbury Fort. Hard to imagine that over 2000 years ago some blokes were digging this ditch and bank to protect their families.

Chorlesbury Church

We passed a field where these 4 large horned, and enormous testicled, rams where establishing the pecking order.

In Great Widmoor Wood the trig point looks like it has just been abandoned at the side of the track. Not only is it not on the highest point of the hill but it is completely surrounded by trees.

I should have included something in this picture to show the size of the fungus, they were significantly bigger than a large dinner plate.

A lovely walk of 20.5 miles with the weather improving all the time.
Great to be out walking with my son again. I think we were probably slower than we would have been separately as we talked so much and also both need to see the map every time it is consulted.

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: TR another PW training walk
« Reply #1 on: 09:39:50, 18/07/20 »
Great pics again Ridge O0 . Especially like the track through crops one ;D
That trig point has obviously been accidentally dropped by the notorious gang of trig point thieves who stole the one on Blencathra  ;)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:52:23, 18/07/20 »

Thanks Karl
That trig point has obviously been accidentally dropped by the notorious gang of trig point thieves who stole the one on Blencathra  ;)
Those well known desperadoes the Branstree Concrete Circle Boys. Their secret international headquarters is in the Hope Valley. 

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:32:01, 18/07/20 »
No close ups of the testicles?  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:47:25, 18/07/20 »
Like the photo of the windmill   -  I think the restricted viewpoint gives an artistic effect

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:06:13, 18/07/20 »
Dovegirl posts about windmills and art while pleb talks about testicles, no surprise.
 ;D

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:40:45, 19/07/20 »
Lovely pics of a long walk. I keep forgetting that there are some who are still doing Long distance walks this year! I think our plans to do the Cleveland Way are on hold until next year now, we will probably find a cottage somewhere in October.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:13:08, 19/07/20 »
Thanks RR
Apart from the fact that I really want to do the PW we also feel that, as people have already sponsored us, we need to do it this year.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:23:17, 19/07/20 »
Good training walk, Ridge.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:19:02, 20/07/20 »
Thanks Richard.
Having not walked with my son for a while it was good to know that, while he is taller, stronger, fitter and obviously much younger than me, I am still as walking-fit as he is.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:25:14, 20/07/20 »
Nice pics Ridge. I had no idea you were doing the PW! Why haven't you mentioned it!
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:22:56, 20/07/20 »
tut tut you've not been paying attention, April.  ;)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:09:25, 20/07/20 »
I had no idea you were doing the PW! Why haven't you mentioned it!
;D
Cheeky.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:03:08, 20/07/20 »
Hate will never win

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:14:17, 20/07/20 »
Can hardly wait for you to get going, salivating at the thought of your updates, already planning my 3rd PW, going to do it N-S this time, but not until 2022  :(
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy