Author Topic: Help - Any photos of waterfalls near Gwynfe ?  (Read 704 times)

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
Help - Any photos of waterfalls near Gwynfe ?
« on: 10:03:09, 10/08/10 »
Hi guys,
I was out walking on the western edge of the Beacons on the weekend, and came across a spectacular waterfall. I have tried to find pictures on the web so I can tell my colleagues in work how great it was (the ones I took are no good)... but I cannot find any...
They are near an old quarry on the eastern side of the A4069 between Brynamman and Llangadog, not far from Gwynfe (Carreg Cennen Castle). I think the stream is called the Afon Clydach and it flows in a general westerly and northwesterly direction. All searches on waterfalls and Clydach come back with the Clydach Gorge near Abergavenny.
There must be some geocache photos of it but I have no idea how to find them... can anyone help ?
Courage doesn't always roar like a lion. Sometimes courage is a small voice at the end of a long hard day saying "I'll try again tomorrow".

susiej

• Veteran Member
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

mad max

• Veteran Member
Re: Help - Any photos of waterfalls near Gwynfe ?
« Reply #2 on: 16:18:13, 10/08/10 »
Sut Mae legs,ive done a bit of walking down there but not by the Afon Clydach.I had a look on the geocache website and there is a cache in Capel Gwynfe,Soul Searching no.3,Elizabeth Jones-Gwynfe GC1PQK9.This tells of the story of a girl killed accidently ?,and you visit her gravestone and memorial stone.There is another cache further down the road by Pont Clydach,Black Mountain cache,GCA06E.There is no mention of the waterfall in any of the caches in the area.
Freeman of Tryfan.
Welsh Nuttalls completer.
I am a troll,beware.

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:25:49, 10/08/10 »
could it be the Afon Twrch?
http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/photos/form.php?file=afontwrch.jpg&dir=brecon

no, that's on the other side of the watershed... this one runs northwest.... I can find it on google earth, but there is only the aerial view and the valley is so deep and sharp, it is in shadow so you can't actually see any details....

I suppose I will have to download my phone at home and then upload the pics in work... no worries..... I'll put the pics (poor as they are) on my FLickr webpage then
Courage doesn't always roar like a lion. Sometimes courage is a small voice at the end of a long hard day saying "I'll try again tomorrow".

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:08:37, 11/08/10 »
Aha - it's this one:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25080732@N08/4881755402/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25080732@N08/4881145765/

and very beautiful it is too.... but if you visit, be careful as the side-slopes are VERY steep.

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:27:01, 11/08/10 »
That's a relief, thought you'd lost the plot there...still cant work out exactly where you were; do you have a grid ref at all?

www.yogaunionswansea.org

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:28:22, 11/08/10 »
That's a relief, thought you'd lost the plot there...still cant work out exactly where you were; do you have a grid ref at all?

Waterfall GR SN743190 (2) (clue was in the photo title ;D )

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:30:21, 11/08/10 »
ah yes, well done...just testing...you passed!

www.yogaunionswansea.org

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:38:46, 11/08/10 »
Ha ha I see now that it is on the north side of Moel Gornach; our favourite family hill (we've adopted it, it doesnt know yet) will be up to check out those falls before long, thanks!

www.yogaunionswansea.org

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:18:15, 11/08/10 »
Great find, I have no doubt this is one of many ways that open access is allowing us to make up our own routes and discover new features to create routes.

Well Done and thanks O0
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

mendipman

« Reply #10 on: 23:45:13, 11/08/10 »
Yes, I agree they are beautiful waterfalls. When I was walking the Beacons Way I was recommended to make a short detour to see them and I was well rewarded. I also visited them again when I joined the Brecon Beacons Park Society on a wild walk in that area last Easter; there was still a lot of snow about and it made for tough walking. That section of the Beacons Way, from Llanddeusant to Carreg Cennan, is, in my opinion the hardest part of the whole walk.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy