Author Topic: GPS or not GPS?  (Read 6757 times)

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: GPS or not GPS?
« Reply #15 on: 18:56:23, 24/10/18 »
Let is know what unit you decide to buy. Best value for money according to reviews is the Garmin etrex20x.
It's all uphill from here.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:20:48, 26/10/18 »
I am now going to research GPS units. There seems to be a lot of different Garmin units with a wide price variation, plus a few OS units with very few reviews. I won’t be geocaching, surfing, cycling or hunting. What are the features I need? Bigger is better than smaller for me, as I have big hands. Also I would like a clear display I could hopefully read without needing my reading glasses.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:18:18, 26/10/18 »
All basically do the same. Bigger screen generally means higher price, as do gps bundled with maps.  Buttons tend to be cheaper than touchscreen.
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:48:22, 27/10/18 »
I am now going to research GPS units. There seems to be a lot of different Garmin units with a wide price variation, plus a few OS units with very few reviews. I won’t be geocaching, surfing, cycling or hunting. What are the features I need? Bigger is better than smaller for me, as I have big hands. Also I would like a clear display I could hopefully read without needing my reading glasses.

Personally I'd go for the SatMap 10 or SatMap 12.

Big screen (My eyes are not good without glasses) and big buttons that can be used with gloves.

Various power modes for extended battery life
Hibernate mode (100 – 120 hrs)
Advanced Power mode (16 – 24 hrs)
Normal Power mode (8-12 hrs)
Custom Microsoft CE operating system
8.7cm / 3.5 in LCD TFT colour screen (320 x 240 pixels) with variable backlight control
Day/night visible screen with red backlight option for night use
Accuracy down to 2 meters

Can be bought 2nd hand off Ebay complete with  'zoomable' 1:50k OS Mapping (about 1" to the mile in old money) for between £50 & £100 depending on how many folks are wanting it.

Additional OS mapping at 1:25k or even 1:10k (street name, pub name etc level) can be purchased separately from SatMap. They will even produce your specific maps at your chosen scale (say - 50 miles around your house, or favourite walking area)

Just an example :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-Satmap-Active-10-And-Whole-Of-Great-Britain-Card/392153910397?hash=item5b4e31cc7d:g:rsoAAOSwclVbzfQM:rk:32:pf:0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:43:01, 27/10/18 »
Too many people seem to have issues with satmap and while some love them they are a risk.  Many don't seem to be fully waterproof, not great for an outdoor gps.  Personally I'd stick to Garmin since as well as their own maps there are numerous free ones available, giving coverage of anywhere in the world.  Don't think that's possible with satmap.
Where there's a will ...

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:48:20, 27/10/18 »
Do any of these GPS devices allow you to take GPS traces? Bigfoot_Mike might want this feature and I do, I'm thinking of getting a dedicated GPS device because I get worried about my phone when it's raining.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:34:32, 27/10/18 »
I agree with the previou post that Satmaps tend to be finicky, are a bit too big to hold comfortably. If you look on ebay there are lots for sale but very few garmins. If you want a larger screen go for a Garmin Oregon 600 series or the newer 700 range.
Mapping as said is widely and freely available.
In answer to your question yes they can all record your route for downloading later.
It's all uphill from here.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 15:41:20, 27/10/18 »
Do any of these GPS devices allow you to take GPS traces? Bigfoot_Mike might want this feature and I do, I'm thinking of getting a dedicated GPS device because I get worried about my phone when it's raining.
Short answer is  - yes (well I know Garmin do and I would be gobsmacked if the others didn't)
So do mobile phone apps such as OS mapping and Viewranger so they can be a back up (they don't need a phone signal to do it).  OS mapping app seems to be bit odd though.  Its options are record a route or follow a route.  I haven't found a way of doing both at once.
Solvitur Ambulando

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:44:42, 27/10/18 »
  ............….Its options are record a route or follow a route.  I haven't found a way of doing both at once...……..

Just wondering - If you are 'following a route' it is (presumably) already saved, why would you need to save it again ?

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 16:54:05, 27/10/18 »

Just wondering - If you are 'following a route' it is (presumably) already saved, why would you need to save it again ?

One reason is to track your own speed doing it, plus you might deviate from the route your following a bit.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:58:39, 27/10/18 »

Two reasons:
The route I have plotted is made without an intimate knowledge of the terrain and in ignorance of pathclosures/non existent paths/mistakes by the OS/unfordable streams/bogs etc. The track I subsequently produce is hopefully a more accurate reflection of the reality on the ground which means that when it duly appears on ViewRanger/OS Mapping/Haroldstreet/gpsies it as more useful guide to other walkers, especially when combined with a narrative account.
I get a record of the mileage, ascent/descent and time taken which when combined with few comments gives me a diary entry for my walk log.

Have a look at this route that I just posted on another thread http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1866  Turn on the Bing/Ordnance Survey at the top left of the map and compare the trace of the actual line up by Sourmilk Gill compared with the green dashed line on the OS.  A trivial example but it shows what I mean.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:44:43, 27/10/18 »
Do the bigger screens of the Oregon or Montana have better resolution than the smaller units, or just bigger pixels? I am tempted by the larger units, as I have large hands, and am hoping I might be able to read the screen without needing reading glasses. I definitely need them for maps now - getting older can be a pain :( .

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:12:22, 27/10/18 »
No, the resolution is the same. With a bigger screen you just get to see more of the map.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:36:06, 27/10/18 »
And if you are hard of looking you can enlarge the map by zooming in.
Personally I prefer buttons to touchscreen as they work with gloves and are easier with pudgy fingers. My gps (Etrex) just has 2 buttons on each side and a joystick selector switch on the front.
Solvitur Ambulando

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:55:12, 27/10/18 »
Two reasons:
The route I have plotted is made without an intimate knowledge of the terrain and in ignorance of pathclosures/non existent paths/mistakes by the OS/unfordable streams/bogs etc. The track I subsequently produce is hopefully a more accurate reflection of the reality on the ground which means that when it duly appears on ViewRanger/OS Mapping/Haroldstreet/gpsies it as more useful guide to other walkers, especially when combined with a narrative account.
I get a record of the mileage, ascent/descent and time taken which when combined with few comments gives me a diary entry for my walk log.

Have a look at this route that I just posted on another thread http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1866  Turn on the Bing/Ordnance Survey at the top left of the map and compare the trace of the actual line up by Sourmilk Gill compared with the green dashed line on the OS.  A trivial example but it shows what I mean.

Ok I see your point and reasoning.
It had never occurred to me.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy