Author Topic: Alpkit Skyhigh 500 or 700?  (Read 1835 times)

taxino8

Alpkit Skyhigh 500 or 700?
« on: 10:00:50, 01/11/18 »
Up until now I’ve only stayed up on the hill a couple of times a year so have made do with a relatively heavy bag.
Next year I’m hoping to do a lot more so I’m buying a lighter and smaller pack size sleeping bag.
I’ve narrowed it down to one of these but I’m unsure which one to go for.
I plan on nights out between Spring and Autumn, definitely not in the Winter and I tend to be a “hot person” when in bed so I’m guessing the 500 would do but I’m hoping someone on here has experience of these bags and can give me a bit of a clue.
Thanks
Bob

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Alpkit Skyhigh 500 or 700?
« Reply #1 on: 14:09:16, 01/11/18 »
It's one of those questions that are hard to answer because how warm a bag is also depends on the person's size, metabolic rate, tent design, sleeping mat, clothes worn etc.  

I don't have one of those but I do have a 1100g down bag with a bit higher fill-power down and lighter fabric than yoursr so warmer, and taking that into account, by my reckoning the Alpkit figures sound about right. I.e. you'll likely be toasty down to just below zero but on the limit at -4C.

So that should see you right in spring and autumn but of course we do get the odd freezing clear night. It was -5C on Sat on the Black Mountain and that was at low level.

It will be downright hot in the summer.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:23:57, 01/11/18 »
My different make bag is a 700, with ratings of Comfort -3C, Limit -10C, Extreme -28C. I'm a bit of a cold sleeper and it's spot on for me in May and September.
Prior to that I had a 650 fill bag with ratings of Comfort +2C, Limt -3C, Extreme -20C, and that was most definitely not warm enough for me.

If you buy the 700 and sometimes find it too warm, being a hot sleeper, you can unzip it at the top and/or bottom, or completely.
If you buy the 500 and don't find it warm enough you can add a sleeping bag liner.

taxino8

« Reply #3 on: 17:11:03, 01/11/18 »
Thanks for the advice both of you, I’ve ordered the 500 as it’s a bit smaller pack size and lighter and if I need to I can always add layers of clothing or get a liner.

Maggot

« Reply #4 on: 19:32:42, 14/11/18 »
Thanks for the advice both of you, I’ve ordered the 500 as it’s a bit smaller pack size and lighter and if I need to I can always add layers of clothing or get a liner.

This last bit definitely.  I have a very lightweight Snugpak two season bag, which is very small.  Then chuck in a lightweight meraklon liner, a silk liner and a pair of running tights and skin top, slip on a long sleeved t-shirt and bingo.  That will take me down to freezing most of the time, and the majority will be in your bag anyway  O0

taxino8

« Reply #5 on: 19:57:34, 14/11/18 »

This last bit definitely.  I have a very lightweight Snugpak two season bag, which is very small.  Then chuck in a lightweight meraklon liner, a silk liner and a pair of running tights and skin top, slip on a long sleeved t-shirt and bingo.  That will take me down to freezing most of the time, and the majority will be in your bag anyway  O0
Thanks, looks like we think alike.
Cheers
Bob

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:34:26, 14/11/18 »
I chucked my snugpak on the Camino in Spain because I eventually got so fed up of it being just , well, useless.I now use an Alpkit (apologies to Mel and her KIT Watch ) 700. Find it copes with the bit of camping I do, very warm.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy