Author Topic: I've made purchasing mistakes. Have you?  (Read 6609 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: I've made purchasing mistakes. Have you?
« Reply #15 on: 18:10:32, 31/10/17 »
Ive got half a wardrobe full of impulsive mistakes, mostly purchased in the 1990s, when living in Cardiff.
There cannot be many of us, who have visited a Outdoor shop, during one of their bargain sales, and not come out with an impulse buy.

One occasion really springs to mind, when i was in Crickhowell adventure gear, sometime in the early 1990s, when they had an awful lot of surplus stock to shift.

A basket full of Buffalo gloves and head gear, for less than a £5 each.

Ive still got four unused Pertex hoods, still in their cellophane wrapping, and two pairs of their pile lined gloves.

Why the Brecon shop had so many in stock, was a mystery, but they were being sold so cheaply, that you simply could not resist buying them in bulk.

I even had the opportunity in Up and Under, in Cowbridge Rd in Cardiff, to buy shop stained clothing at make us an offer price.

I can still remember a top spec Berghaus GoreTex, with one heck of a deep stain, down its front, for very little money.

If your in an outdoor shop, when they have a bargain rail, its only a brave person who can walk away, without buying something you do not really need, if its being sold at a very low asking price.
« Last Edit: 18:18:26, 31/10/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:17:51, 31/10/17 »
Sounds like you could open your own outdoor gear store yourself there DA!!  :D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 07:29:30, 01/11/17 »
Ive still got four unused Pertex hoods, still in their cellophane wrapping, and two pairs of their pile lined gloves.

Why the Brecon shop had so many in stock, was a mystery, but they were being sold so cheaply, that you simply could not resist buying them in bulk.

Can't believe anyone in their right mind would buy 4 Pertex hoods then never even use one, whatever price they were going for  ::)
Where there's a will ...

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 10:14:12, 01/11/17 »

Can't believe anyone in their right mind would buy 4 Pertex hoods then never even use one, whatever price they were going for  ::)
No one in their right mind has.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 11:09:43, 01/11/17 »
I've just thrown out a Lifeventure waist wallet! When I was standing in the queue for customs a couple of years ago (I bought the wallet the day before) my passport and money were now in it. I then made the mistake of unclipping it from around my waist and opened the zip. The wallet was clutched in my left hand so I could quickly get out my passport with my right hand for scrutiny. Suddenly a passenger behind me tapped me on my shoulder and said "is this your money" pointing at the floor. It was, about 600 euros had just fallen out! As I was waiting for my passport, my right hand on the counter, I dropped my left hand with the wallet to the side of my leg and the money just fell out. I never used it again and now its in the bin!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:49:55, 01/11/17 »
No one in their right mind has.

;D
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:37:00, 01/11/17 »
Just returned from Bettws Y Coed, this afternoon, with an impulse buy, a rather nice one as well.
I am now the proud owner of a virtually new Montane Featherlite Down jacket, for the princely sum of £40.
The original sales tag, with the dizzy price of £180, is still attached.

It was upstairs, on the clothes rack, in Cotswolds Rock Bottom bargain shop.

For some reason it had to be returned to Montane, for a new front zip to be installed, but apart from that, the jacket is like new.

I have been a fan of Montane equipment for years, and the jacket fitted me perfectly, and at £140 below retail price, it had to come home with me.

On this occasion, it was not a mistake  purchasing this lovely item, and as it was the only one there, it would not have been in the shop for long.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:44:50, 01/11/17 »
And I guess in many years time you'll be saying it's still in the cupboard in its original packaging  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 22:33:18, 01/11/17 »
I am now the proud owner of a virtually new Thommen Altimeter.

(sorry, couldn't resist  :D   ;)  )

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 05:58:23, 02/11/17 »
 ;D O0
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 10:22:36, 02/11/17 »
Not in this instance, its going up Snowdon with me this morning.
Unlike most of my other kit, this jacket packs up to a very small size, in its provided stuff sac.

When an item of clothing proves just too bulky to carry around, that is when it usually gets little use.

You cannot stuff a Goretex jacket into a very tight space, and when you have unwisely bought several over the years, you simply stop using them.

I much prefer using a very lightweight waterproof, the kind that can be stored inside a wastebelt.

When you carry a ruc sack, that's when you take far too much kit than you need.

£40 was an out and out bargain, especially when exactly the same jacket was being sold up the road, in their full retail price shop, at £180.

This Montane jacket, can be tucked away inside a waste belt, so you do not really notice you have have it with you.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 11:26:07, 02/11/17 »
So, Dyffryn, it was not a mistake, so why did you mention it in this topic and not in other topics which cover purchases and, say, bargains? ??? ?

My error was to buy some waterproof over trousers "cheap" that not only act like wind socks, but deployed correctly could have stopped the Titanic from sinking. Heavy, sweaty, baggy, rubbish. However it did lead to the discovery that unzipping the zip offs and walking in shorts in the rain is really no hardship at all, given that my skin dries very fast and is quite watertight. If I went into very cold situations I maybe would rethink the tactic but it has worked for me, to date.
« Last Edit: 17:17:01, 02/11/17 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:34:06, 02/11/17 »
For some reason it had to be returned to Montane, for a new front zip to be installed, but apart from that, the jacket is like new.
This is a fascinating paragraph.

I’m going to make a wild stab in the dark and guess that the ‘for some reason’ was that the front zip needed replacing.

Also: apart from the new zip, it is like new? So the new zip is the only bit that isn’t new.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 16:11:00, 02/11/17 »
This is a fascinating paragraph.

I’m going to make a wild stab in the dark and guess that the ‘for some reason’ was that the front zip needed replacing.

Also: apart from the new zip, it is like new? So the new zip is the only bit that isn’t new.

Maybe it’s like Trigger’s broom...the jackets itself is 10 years old, but zips, pockets, torso, and arms have all been replaced in last month.

But to be fair to DA..a good quality Montane lightweight jacket at 40 quid would have seen a lot of us opening the wallet. I’m pretty sure I’d have been buying...and I do very little impulse buying.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:29:06, 02/11/17 »
The jacket was a huge success this afternoon.
Went as far as Clogwyn station, and even though the temperature was not that cold, there was certainly a mild windchill.

The most impressive thing about the jacket, is the superb hood.

It has several cleverly designed adjustment loops, and the hood is the perfect size.

The one aspect i do like about the range of Montane down clothing, is that all their down fill has been carefully chosen, and is ethically sourced.

The company is as British as they come, and realise they have a moral duty to ensure no animal suffering took place, when obtaining their feathers.

It says this on the tag on the jacket, so i sincerely hope Montane are true to their word.

That for me, was a pleasant surprise, and i only wish other manufacturers were as open on the source of their chosen insulation.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy