Author Topic: A down jacket that's a bit longer  (Read 1077 times)

Farnorth

A down jacket that's a bit longer
« on: 20:16:50, 30/11/18 »
Looking to buy a down jacket sub 500g sub £200 suitable for active wear but also layering up at night time wild camping. I like the look of the RAB Microlight Alpine but like so many others nowadays (I'm obviously an old codger) it (and others Ive tried) just seem a bit on the short side. I don't have the luxury of outdoor retailers anywhere near so - have you any recommendations?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: A down jacket that's a bit longer
« Reply #1 on: 10:48:44, 01/12/18 »
You could have a look at the Alpkit site, I know people who have bought their down jackets, they have no complaints and they suggest the price is good too. Not sure what length they are, but I agree with you so items of clothing seem to be short these days. I hate short baselayers! I prefer jackets, etc to cover my bum, especially my external rain jacket.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:40:19, 01/12/18 »
. I hate short baselayers! I prefer jackets, etc to cover my bum, especially my external rain jacket.
O0
Too little, too late, too bad......

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:31:06, 01/12/18 »
Rab do a long version of the Microlight Alpine.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:46:23, 01/12/18 »
Looking to buy a down jacket sub 500g sub £200 suitable for active wear but also layering up at night time wild camping. I like the look of the RAB Microlight Alpine but like so many others nowadays (I'm obviously an old codger) it (and others Ive tried) just seem a bit on the short side. I don't have the luxury of outdoor retailers anywhere near so - have you any recommendations?

Remember shirts with proper 'tails' that would tuck in your trousers ?

They must be making 'em shorter, because I never used to have this problem.
I think, for me, it is that (maybe) some of the length is 'used up' in girth.

Farnorth

« Reply #5 on: 17:26:21, 01/12/18 »
Thanks for the suggestions, Alpkit looks interesting. I wonder how the length of the RAB Microlight Summit compares to the long version of the Alpine.

Shorter length is purely down to fashion, can't be any logical reason for it other than reducing weight at the expense of protection

Jac

• Veteran Member
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:53:02, 03/12/18 »
I've just come across 'Freedom of Sleep' their down jacket is £99 I believe. You will need to check them out. There's an article about them in The Great Outdoors online.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy