Author Topic: TR Day 2 of a 3 day trip from Troutbeck to Staveley Sun 8 Jul 18  (Read 1330 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We'd had a good sleep and didn't wake up until 7.20. We had some breakfast, I used the pocket rocket myself for the first time. It is quick  :o We packed our things and we were away by 9.30. It was already warm, cloudy again and we were pleased, the heat would be worse if there was sun too.

The MSR on Kentmere Pike

The view west from the route to Harter Fell

Beefy on Harter Fell

I was lucky to get this shot. We'd seen nobody after we spotted the blokes on the bikes going down to Sadgill yesterday afternoon until now on the summit of Harter Fell at 10.10am. There was one man near the cairn and had been for at least 5 minutes as we were walking up and two others had a camping stove out near by. I try not to get irritated by people who do this but I really can't fathom these people out who stop so close to the summit and not allowing others to have their summit time. We took a couple of shots and left within 20 seconds.

Blea Water, High Street, Rampsgill Head and High Raise

An empty Haweswater

I've never seen Haweswater as empty as this. We descended to the Gatesgarth Pass and topped up our water from a stream just below the summit of the pass before we began the climb up Branstree.

Beefy on Branstree

It was hot and we were sweating buckets on the way up

The Scafells from Branstree

We stopped for some food and a brew near Artle Crag. We sat for an hour enjoying the peace, nobody about!

Beefy at Selside Pike

We hoped we would see some deer, we had the last time we were in this area. We didn’t stay long, we took some photos and left Selside Pike and descended to the col and crossed the fence. We were making our way toward Tarn Crag. We rounded the Birkett of High Howes on the Mosedale side. This route was pathless and rough and probably would be very unwise normally. The ground is dry now but would be a boggy, wet walk with the usual rainfall we get.

Yellow flowers

These were lovely, no idea what they are, orchids maybe? Pleb, you are the forum wild flower expert, an answer if you please :)

The view toward the left end of Mosedale

Deer!

We spotted some deer and managed to get a few shots.

The deer in close up

One of them had spotted us and then they were off like a shot

Tarn Crag beyond Mosedale

Our route continued pathless and rough through dry peat bogs, long grass with hidden nettles and thistles. If it had been boggy it would have been a proper, bona fide Karl route  ;) We descended to Great Grain Gill, topped up our water and had a break. The cloud had started to thin and the sun was hot.

Tarn Crag ahead

With the ground being so dry we went straight across Mosedale here and went up onto Tarn Crag from left to right.

Looking back to Mosedale Cottage from the way up Tarn Crag

It didn't take that long and we were surprised when we reached the top!

Beefy on Tarn Crag

Water was on our mind again, we were going to pitch on Grey Crag, we wanted to find water first. We descended directly down from Tarn Crag to the right of Greycrag Tarn. We hoped there would be water in Galeforth Gill and we were prepared for a bit of a descent to get it. We didn't have to descend that much; the water was flowing at 590m. We filled our water bladders and we just had the last climb to Grey Crag.

Beefy on Grey Crag

We were tired, the heat does make fell walking a lot harder. We found a pitch, got the water on to filter and got the MSR up. It was 5pm, nobody was about now. We'd seen two people ahead of us going on to Grey Crag. These were the only people we'd seen since we left the Gatesgarth Pass earlier.

The MSR on Grey Crag with the Howgills behind

We had our tea. The wind had picked up and we sat sheltered from it in front of the tent looking toward the Howgills. We had some wine and had another enjoyable camp.

Black Combe and the Coniston Fells

Like the day before the cloud vanished and we had the bright ball of the sun going down this time behind Tarn Crag.

The sun going down, not much cloud again

We'd got inside the tent before the sun went down, the wind was just that bit too strong. We got out to watch the last of the sunset.

The sun goes down behind Tarn Crag

We had the rest of our wine and some cream cheese and crackers. We were asleep as soon as our heads touched our pillows! Day 2 was Kentmere Pike - Harter Fell - Branstree - Selside Pike - Great Grain Gill - Tarn Crag - Grey Crag. 12.9km with 587m of ascent and 674m descent. About 6 hours walking time.
« Last Edit: 18:17:24, 10/07/18 by April »
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Brilliant  O0
Another fine tr and great pics,
Was another lovely day, although a bit too hot  ;D
Pour the wine  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Great again, though a worrying lack of water.

April

• Veteran Member
Pour the wine  :D

Ok then  :D

Great again, though a worrying lack of water.

Thanks Ridge, I'd been wishing for rain but I do hope it stays dry for you during the daytime. Are you up for a week? I hope you had some good days if you came up at the weekend  O0
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
We arrive tomorrow, we will leave London in the middle of the night but we wont be very early in Kentmere.

I have just spoken to a lovely lady to see if the parking field is open, which it isn't, but she has said we can park at her place  :)

April

• Veteran Member
I have just spoken to a lovely lady to see if the parking field is open, which it isn't, but she has said we can park at her place  :)

Ah, that is nice  O0

I do hope the weather is kind to you, it would be such bad luck after the last few weeks of hot, dry weather. Have a great time Ridge  O0
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Thanks April.
Our walking days will be Wednesday to Monday. Our biggest walks are currently planned for Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday but that may have to change depending on the weather and the football.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
More great scenery and another place to camp with beautiful views April. Well done again  O0
Regards Keith

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos April O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
Our walking days will be Wednesday to Monday. Our biggest walks are currently planned for Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday but that may have to change depending on the weather and the football.

I hope the rain stays away  O0

Thanks WR and sunnydale  O0
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Without looking em up, looks like bog asphodel.
Nice deer shots  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

adalard

• Veteran Member
Another great TR, April.  O0  Love the deer, and the light on the fells, looking over to Blea Tarn - beautiful!  :)

April

• Veteran Member
looks like bog asphodel.

Thanks Percy Thrower  :)

Thanks adalard  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy