Author Topic: Smartphone and rucksack  (Read 762 times)

myxpyr

Smartphone and rucksack
« on: 16:36:28, 19/06/19 »
Has anyone got any recommendations for the secure attachment/storage of a phone (preferably) on the shoulder straps of a rucksack.
I use my phone to control my GoPro so I need it readily accessible but secure.
Thanks

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Smartphone and rucksack
« Reply #1 on: 17:15:12, 19/06/19 »
I have a mobile phone sized see-through case, exactly the same as buying one for an Ipad or similar. Bought it from Amazon, costs £5. On wet days I can even work my phone without taking it out of the case. I just use a thin lanyard/line which attaches to my shoulder strap and to the phone case and it then justs rests in my left side waist rucksack pocket. I have an Osprey Exel 48L. I've tried securing it to the shoulder strap with a 'D' ring (is that what its called?) but it restricts my phone movements too much, I had to bend my head to the phone rather than the phone being lifted up to my face. Just an ease of comfort thing! My system also works well for charging my phone on the move as well. I just put my phone battery charger in right-hand waist rucksack pocket and connect the charging lead from the charger in one pocket to the phone in the other pocket. I'm always careful if the wire across my waist is showing if I'm near the public and will always dismantle it. I've had some funny looks, you know, those kind of looks which none verbally asks if the wire is 'attached to something dangerous or not ' looks.

There can be a problem if you don't want your phone in one of these sealed containers (I prefer this unless it's wet) and because modern phones no longer have a corner area where a security lead can be attached I had to think of another method. To solve this little problem I also bought, again from Amazon, about £2.99 I think and it looks like a thick elastic band which grips the phone and again is attached to my lanyard/line.

In both cases it also ensures that when I bend over my phone does not smash to the ground.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:24:18, 19/06/19 »
Why can’t you keep your phone in your pocket?  My Craghoppers have a thigh pocket with a phone pocket built into it.  Alternatively, Aquapac make a mobile phone case with a lanyard attached, you could carabiner that to a pack strap. 
Garmin make a holder with a spring clip to attach a gps to a pack, have you tried Google for a phone equivalent?
Solvitur Ambulando

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:30:10, 19/06/19 »
My phone usually goes in a rucksack hip belt pocket. On my smallest bag it won’t fit there so it goes in my trouser or shorts pocket. I put it inside the smallest dry bag I have if the weather demands it.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:43:30, 19/06/19 »
I keep my phone and camera in one of THESE which has loops on the back so I can slip it onto either the belt of my trousers or waistband of my rucksack.  Keeps my most used items to hand at the front of me.

I affectionately call it my "sporran"  :)

taxino8

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:01:31, 20/06/19 »
When I'm out running I have a small fabric pouch bought from Decathlon (about £4.99 I think) which just hangs around my neck and under my shirt or baselayer. I often take it with me when I hike, just to carry my card and cash, excellent. I have a bigger one which I use when abroad which fits in my passport as well. I like to keep these things close to my chest and I even wear them when sleeping, they never leave my body, except when I shower of course. I take them into the shower with me and secure them in a simple Tesco food bag so they don't get wet. When I leave the shower they are around my neck again.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy