Author Topic: The tyranny of 4 x 4s?  (Read 1433 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
The tyranny of 4 x 4s?
« on: 16:30:18, 07/09/19 »
I saw this in the Guardian today. I must admit that I personally have never come across 4 x 4s in the lakes, I must walk in the wrong places.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/07/lake-district-heritage-at-risk-thrillseekers-chew-up-trials-off-road-vehicles

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: The tyranny of 4 x 4s?
« Reply #1 on: 16:40:55, 07/09/19 »
Richard beat you to it in the thread immediately below yours http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=39030.0
Not just 4x4s
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:43:32, 07/09/19 »
Thanks for that - it made interesting reading.  O0

I'd like to see 4x4 vehicles banned from using these tracks.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:06:48, 12/09/19 »
In the past five years, ive encountered several 4x4s who blatantly think its their God given right to carve up the mountainside approaching Pont Scethin just above where i live in Dyffryn.
Last year, the council in conjunction with  Welsh Water, decided to lock the gates that lead to the upper reservoir below Diffwys.

On more than one occasion, Water board staff have failed to lock the gates behind them, allowing the numerous 4x4s and all terrain bikes to carry on destroying the old Drovers way.

Last year, the erosion was so bad, that the grooves carved into the hillside were knee deep in places.

Unfortunately is a public right of way, but heavy 4x4 vehicles never designed for the terrain, continue to cause extensive longterm damage to the area.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:29:08, 12/09/19 »
In the past five years, ive encountered several 4x4s who blatantly think its their God given right to carve up the mountainside approaching Pont Scethin just above where i live in Dyffryn.
Unfortunately it is a RUPP turning into a BOAT so they do have legal right to be there. It would take an Act of Parliament to change the law so that time can catch up with the 4x4 not being in the same class of vehicle as a horse drawn vehicle with 4 wheels.
There is a 10 mile circuit there, so I can see why it is attractive to the sort of petrol head, who thinks he should carve up the countryside just because he has bought an off road vehicle. I sat in on a Powys CC LAF meeting where they were discussing this problem with the Monk's Trod over the Green Desert. Damage had to be repaired with special stone from a single source and it had to be carried in by helicopter, because SSFI regulations forbade any deviation of the route of the way allowed for vehicles.
Recently I have seen extensive repair work being done on tracks near the Berwyns, where convoys of 4x4 are now a tourist event, who is paying for this work is a question that needs an answer, it is giving work to the local contractors. On our LAF the 4x4 rep was always stating the strict guidelines these drivers stick to, but on the other hand you have you have the Petrol Head/Tom, Dick and Harry Brigade trying to out do prats like Jeremy Clarkson.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy