Author Topic: Ouch! A bit of informal advice wanted  (Read 1962 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Ouch! A bit of informal advice wanted
« on: 22:11:39, 01/03/07 »
A mate and I only recently started walking (Late Jan infact) and so are breaking into things gently - even if it's very addictive and we go a few times a month.

Last week we went to Monsal Dale, we hadn't walked for three weeks before that due to work commitments (previously it was the hills around Dovedale if you ask). Was out for about 4 hours walking each time.

During the last two walks my rucksack has started to be noticeable in the last hour (ironically when it's emptier). Now I've also started getting pain in my neck (not the other half for a change either) every day which got worse since the weekends walk.

I reckon it's the rucksack that's causing it. Is this likely? Obviously if it persists I'll be off to see the doctor.

Oh and I'm going shopping for a new one Saturday anyway.

« Last Edit: 22:15:14, 01/03/07 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

titaniumdude

Re: Ouch! A bit of informal advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: 09:25:44, 02/03/07 »
Hi Dazza.  Sorry to hear that your enjoyment of the hills is being marred by this problem.  Starting a new physical activity places demands on your body that it's not used to and it may simply be that you're just becoming conditioned to hiking and it will disapear with time.  Could be the pack I suppose, but unless your carrying heavy, or ill balanced loads i would think this unlikely.  It's worth getting checked out by a medical professional of some sort (a physio would be good) since you may also have aggravated an existing predisposition to this problem and there may be a treatable underlying cause.  Hope it clears up soon. 
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

False_Summit_Veteran

It Only Hurts The First Time!
« Reply #2 on: 15:13:23, 02/03/07 »
When I first started, I used to come home and lie on the sofa feeling sorry for myself all evening, then ache 'til Tuesday.  But like titanium' said, if it's just from using muscles that have not been employed for a bit, it goes over time.  Hope you enjoy the trips as you get more under your belt.
Any Moel's a goal.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:19:23, 02/03/07 »
I've had usual aches and pains (muscles aching I didn't know I had) but that fades quickly. This pain comes later, which is a little weird.

The main difference is that I've been on call lately so I've been lugging a laptop around, which I sling over my right shoulder, for two weeks on and off. This will no doubt have aggravated the situation if the rucksack has started it off. It's really the muscle between my neck and shoulder which makes me think it's load related (laptops being especially one sided).

I'm off call for three weeks so if the new rucksack doesn't give me the same problem it looks like a combination of new activity and the existing strain the laptop provides. 

Next walk is fairly easy (Lathkilldale) so I'll see what happens. If not off to the docs. If it does go,  work will have to supply something better to carry the lappy.

Thanks all.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Snowman

« Reply #4 on: 11:09:23, 03/03/07 »
I think I've had a similar problem, but it was because my little boy who sits in one of those backpacks for kids is getting a bit heavy.    However if you're going for day walks you should only have water, waterproofs, perhaps a fleece and emergency medical stuff.    Maybe a packed lunch?

Perhaps it's the cocktail cabinet?    Leave it for when you get home?

If you are tending to carry a lot does your rucksack have a waist belt?    A good rucksack would have one, and it allows your hips to help bear the weight.

S.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 00:19:35, 04/03/07 »
The weight I carry (as there's two of us) was never huge but it was all on my shoulders and quite tight as well. I carry the water (1.5ltr), food and maps etc, he carries the isotonic (3ltr) stuff (so weight was about even). We'd both carry additional clothing dependant on weather (other clothes being back at the car).

The new rusksack is a 35+8 job, with all the waist support and adjustable straps you could want which will help anyway I'm sure.

I think it is combination of things. New activity (the walking) which has been getting longer in duration coupled with an increased usage of one shoulder due to work.

Next weekend will be the test I reckon. I'll have been off call for a full week by then and have the new sack (which I'll spend attention to making sure it's comfortable). Lathkill should be a straightforward jaunt but still a good test.
Dazza
--------

titaniumdude

« Reply #6 on: 11:03:04, 04/03/07 »
35+8.  Sounds like a freeflow.  They're good packs.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy