Author Topic: Back packing kit  (Read 7023 times)

M J B

Back packing kit
« on: 21:34:56, 04/04/07 »
Following on from the advice thread, i thought it would be good to hear everybodys view on what to take on a LDP.

My basic kit is as follows:
LA rucksack - 2kg empty  :o (not quite sure this was one of my best buys due to weight)
Therm-a-rest ProLite 4 - 680g
Sleeping bag - 4 season 2kg, 2 season 650g (bit chilly)
2Ltrs water - 2kg
Primus Gravity Gas Stove  - 259g
Tent - 1.6kg
Then its food, clothes, maps, first aid. I will add it all up over the next few days...

On my failed pennine way trip, my pack was about 18kg lol

titaniumdude

Re: Back packing kit
« Reply #1 on: 14:49:10, 11/04/07 »
18kg is a lot.  That list looks OK though.  2kg is pretty average for a large capacity pack if not on the low side.  Gravity stove is a good choice I reckon and a 1.6kg tent sounds suspiciously like an Akto.  Someone once said to me split your kit into 3 piles when packing one with necessities, one with maybe needed things and one with luxuries.  Then discard the luxuries, decide which of the maybes are necessities and if they're not, discard them.  Voila.  2kg for a sleeping bag is heavy, I wouldn't carry this unless it was winter and even then it's heavy. I usually try to aim for a base pack weight of 20-25 pounds before adding water and as much food as I think I'll need.  On most established LDPs it's only really neccessary to carry a days worth at a time.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:21:14, 12/04/07 »
Just seen this thread,

Give me a bit of time and i will list what i have had to carry ;)

Some of it was not what i wanted to carry :D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Snowman

« Reply #3 on: 14:35:41, 17/04/07 »
Tricky one this, as I have a list for every occasion.

Firstly there's a list for fully self-supporting trekking.   This varies as well as there are things like altitude and climate to consider, for example gas stoves don't work very well at high altitudes so you need a liquid fuel, then you need to consider what is available at your destination since flying with serious flammable substances is not looked on kindly by the carriers.    Even that needs some consideration, for example I once took a gas stove and lamp intending to cook and then use the same gas for lighting, but resealable gas canisters weren't available at my destination so I also had to take an adapter.

Next there's the LDP where you can plan stops for every night so you don't need sleeping out gear.

Then theres the same as above but where you might need to sleep out, but are prepared to lose a bit of comfort on the premise that it's only a night or two.

Then the possibility that you sleep out but eat at local pubs, Youth Hostels or cafes (i.e. no cooking gear, food etc.).

The lists all differ even on 'emergency' items.   For example if you're carrying a tent and sleeping bag, the justification for taking an emergency blanket is virtually eliminated.

... and I must admit I've never weighed each object.    If it has to be in the pack it's there, and if there's a lighter equivalent then I'll get it (subject to the law of diminishing returns).    Gear seems to get lighter or a new equivalent every year so I've never bothered to check the weight of each item that goes in my rucksack, just try to reduce it if possible.

I've heard the '3 piles' method of determining what to take, but prefer to look through my list and visualise the situations where I'll be using each item and then decide if it's necessary.    However my lists are well used and are now pared to the bone so there's no longer any fat left, but I still go through the checks just in case there's something new that can eliminate some weight.

S.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:07:11, 25/04/07 »
MJB: How on earth do you manage to weigh all your individual pieces?  My pack is either "heavy" or "too heavy", if it's to heavy then something gets left behind  ;D

M J B

« Reply #5 on: 22:11:29, 25/04/07 »
My pack was way to heavy, so i guess i did not need to weigh it lol

Ive got a lot of ideas of walks i want to do in the future. I like the idea of camping, so i think a lot of stuff it going to have to go out of the window. Cut down on spare clothes, one smelly helly should last me 2 weeks  :o

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 06:52:41, 27/04/07 »
LOL

The last time I was out camping, I only took one pair of combat trousers (my main hiking wear  ;)) and a change of shorts, I camped for two nights, and when I got back to town, I stunk like a hairy animal ... all part of the fun, right? Right  :o

kkm

« Reply #7 on: 11:20:19, 23/05/07 »
bearing in mind that i am about to embark on my first LDP and planning to back pack it, what should i take with me? i would tend to take the kitchen sink if i thought i could, so a realistic list of what i raly need to take would help loads.

ta, KKM

Snowman

« Reply #8 on: 12:32:50, 23/05/07 »
Hi KKM - are  you intending to camp out or use hostels/inns/B&Bs?   

My preference is for the latter, since you won't need tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat etc.    Also if you eat at the place you stay, you don't need to carry cooking and eating gear, minimum food ...    Also, if the weather is bad tents aren't the best - think about striking camp in the pouring rain.   Also, these days many of the Youth Hostels are licenced, so if you fancy a beer or glass of wine you can.

I know many of our colleagues here prefer to camp so their response will be different, so it all comes down to how you feel about it.

Let me know your intentions and I'll pass on the appropriate list.    I've done self-sufficient treks and accommodation so all my lists have been used for real.

S.

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:11:47, 23/05/07 »
Here's my list of what i taken on my first LDP

1, Rucksack 1.67kg 55ltrs
1, Sleeping bag 1710g 4season
1,Therm-a-rest ProLite 3 570g
5,Maps
1,tent    2330 g beween 2 people
1,water 2Ltrs
1, one lot of clothing or not unless your going partying after your trip
1, pocket rocket / kettle
1, food/ snack's

It all so depands on what you are doing like snowman said camping/hostels/inn/B&B.  As this well lighten your load. Snowman i did know that hostels were licenced to sell ale. So if they sell beer dose this mean that dog can say there as well going of the key note like to know this. any how back to the ?. All so how long is the trip are you planning on doing it over days week months hope this helps  ;D
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

kkm

« Reply #10 on: 13:18:40, 24/05/07 »
pennine way over 10 days.....and camping out as well.

kit so far consists of 65+10 litre rucksack.
light weight tent (i know its light weight, but cant remember how light)
sleeping bag - again i bought a light weight one, but cant remeber the dimensions.
clothes - was going for 2 sets (2 t's, 2 micoro fleece, 2 trouser - 1 wash, 1 wear)
plus the obligatory wet proofs.

this is my basic, i have other items to include as well (compass, maps etc etc, cooking stuff). seasoned camper, used to doinf rough when required, so striking in rain not a prob - been done sooooooo often......

so yeah. the main thing is i want to take only the minimum i can get away with, so any advice would be fantastic.

Snowman

« Reply #11 on: 15:08:15, 24/05/07 »
There was a thread here somewhere which contained a lot of advice regarding lightweight trekking, but I can't find it.

So, my suggestions regarding clothes were (assuming you aren't intending to dine with the Queen):

1. Take 2 technical T's and underwear.   Wash the one you've been wearing when you stop for the night, and it should be dry by the morning.

2. 3 pairs of socks, because if you wash one pair they can take a couple of night's to dry out.

3. One pair of cut-off trekking trousers.   Generally, the part of a pair of trousers that gets dirty is the lower leg, so if it's not too cold then you can unzip the lower, wash it and zip it back on when it's dry in the morning.

4. One fleece - if it's summer you're unlikely to need it until it gets cooler in the evening, so why take more than one?

5. I tend to use a lightweight waterproof in the summer which packs down to very little (mine's a Lowe Alpine Triplepoint at around 500 grams).    If it does get cool and wet while you're walking, put the fleece on underneath.

Apart from that, I suggest  you use the suggestions previously noted, i.e. examine everything you intend to take and consider whether it is required or just 'nice to have'.   Most people also allow 1 luxury - mine's a book, but you might like an ipod or similar.

If you're cooking, do you need a full cookset?   If possible I tend to take a pair of those aluminium pans and use them to eat from as well.    Also, get a set of small plastic containers so that you only take as much of things as you need (e.g. sugar).   If you use resealable gas cylinders you can also use them with a gas lamp after you've finished cooking.   I only take a liquid fuel stove for high altitude trips so you wouldn't need that.

Washing - I assume you're using one of the trek towels?   I'm a bloke so take shaving oil rather than any of the things that take up loads of space or -    Soap - I make my own shampoo bars, which are just soap made with oils that are beneficial to the hair (e.g. castor oil, jojoba etc), but that doesn't preclude using them for all over washing.

Maps - I use the paper ones with the outer packaging removed, and a waterproof map case.    The waterproof maps are nice, but weigh more.

Well there's a few things I found reduce the weight I carry, and hope they help.

S.

kkm

« Reply #12 on: 10:50:11, 08/06/07 »
cheers snowman - very helpful!

and of course, being a woman, i need to remember mascara, lip gloss, nail polish........shampoo, conditioner, styling products........

just kiddding!

except for the mascara (can be my luxury)..........and vasaline - i get really bad chapped lips when walking.

and sun screen will definately have to be included, if i dont want to look like a lobster after the first day.....
« Last Edit: 11:00:34, 08/06/07 by kkm »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy