Author Topic: unofficial montane spine/challenger  (Read 27367 times)

forest view

Re: unofficial montane spine/challenger
« Reply #525 on: 11:24:18, 20/01/20 »
It would be interesting to add up all of the charity donations on the 150+ just giving pages etc. to work out the impact on the charity sector from just this one event. I bet the numbers are huge and a vast array of brilliant charities will have benefited.
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #526 on: 19:40:45, 20/01/20 »
Thank you for the running commentary of the last couple of days, folks  O0

I felt like I was dot watching with you when I was belatedly reading your posts  :)

Hate will never win

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #527 on: 20:16:06, 20/01/20 »
Thank you for the running commentary of the last couple of days, folks  O0

I felt like I was dot watching with you when I was belatedly reading your posts  :)
It made it much more enjoyable for me to have other "dot watchers" to "chat" with and for them to point me in the direction of things I was missing.  Surprising really how involved I could get, perhaps having walked it twice I can almost retrace my steps with them and persuading myself NOT that "I could do that"! :-[

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #528 on: 20:55:13, 24/01/20 »
Where there's a will ...

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #529 on: 22:02:27, 24/01/20 »
Thanks for posting the above.  A very good read with amazing recall of his adventure.  I didn't realise he was, in his words, "well beyond my 50th birthday".

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #530 on: 13:40:47, 25/01/20 »
Very interesting report, thanks for the link sussamb.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #531 on: 15:15:27, 25/01/20 »
Enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting the link. You could really follow him up the route, and visualise where he was at each stage. It made me want to do the Pennine Way again, walking though, and sleeping at night! 
I think one of the things I like about the Spine Race is that the competitors aren't in their first youth. It's nice to think that there is a sport where you aren't looking to retire at 30!  The blog really brought out the tactical side of the race, and the value of experience.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Where there's a will ...

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #533 on: 16:13:02, 05/02/20 »
Another really good read from an athlete, I still can't work out how they remember so much when they are in a "zombie like" state!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #534 on: 16:28:23, 05/02/20 »
Very interesting, particularly his comments about the kit list. Don't know how he was managing with a 17l pack.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #535 on: 12:45:31, 06/02/20 »
Good read. I chuckled at the bit when he said he had a wander around Thirlwall Castle!  As though he didn't have a race to win!

It would be good to read a blog of someone who finished the race towards the back, to compare.  Anyone have any links?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #536 on: 14:30:32, 06/02/20 »
Try Peter Gold's report if you like a light hearted read, great character, we were both in the same SST last year and he has a great sense of humour.  The reference to The Final Frontier is because we nicknamed him Captain Picard as he looks like Patrick Stewart

https://medium.com/trailtales/spinerace/home
Where there's a will ...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #537 on: 17:57:51, 06/02/20 »
Thanks for that sussamb. That was certainly a different, very entertaining read! I wonder if the Canadian has read it. I had to check to see if Richard finished, I see he unfortunately didn’t.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #538 on: 19:08:17, 06/02/20 »
Like Ridge - I have no idea how the winner managed to fit the compulsory kit in that tiny running vest. And from his account of adding layers when en route, it sounds like he had extra items in it... His account also betrays his attitude to Eugeni - similar theme to Jasmin Paris' blog.

I started reading Peter Gold's report - quite different! But I got blocked after the first section - seemingly I have to register/sign in.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #539 on: 21:31:21, 06/02/20 »
I've just read John Kellys blog, thanks for the link Sussamb  O0

It was a great read, he does have a great sense of humour. I think he can be forgiven for thinking Hadrian Wall is the border between England and Scotland  ;)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy