Author Topic: Update: Walking London to Edinburgh  (Read 1272 times)

Andy at Focallocal

Update: Walking London to Edinburgh
« on: 20:00:31, 04/06/18 »
I've been writing down all your suggestions and researching how long they'll take. I'm beginning to suspect my original estimate of 10 - 12 days is very optimistic, most walkers seem to take 16 -20 days to walk just the Pennine Way - unless i just walk up the A1, which would be mind-numbingly boring.

The Northern part looks fairly straight forwards, it's more the Southern Part where there seems to be endless winding paths rather than anything fairly direct between towns.

Another option occurred to me that i'd like to run past you guys, what if i follow the East Coast Main Line most of the way up? Does anyone know if there are trails running alongside significant sections of that route? and probably increase my estimated walk time to a still probably over ambitious 20 days, aiming for 30 mile days. (i'll get some good training in before starting)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:East_Coast_Main_Line_Map.png [nofollow]

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: 20:07:59, 04/06/18 by Andy at Focallocal »

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Update: Walking London to Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: 22:40:34, 04/06/18 »
I've been writing down all your suggestions and researching how long they'll take. I'm beginning to suspect my original estimate of 10 - 12 days is very optimistic, most walkers seem to take 16 -20 days to walk just the Pennine Way - unless i just walk up the A1, which would be mind-numbingly boring.

The Northern part looks fairly straight forwards, it's more the Southern Part where there seems to be endless winding paths rather than anything fairly direct between towns.

Another option occurred to me that i'd like to run past you guys, what if i follow the East Coast Main Line most of the way up? Does anyone know if there are trails running alongside significant sections of that route? and probably increase my estimated walk time to a still probably over ambitious 20 days, aiming for 30 mile days. (i'll get some good training in before starting)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:East_Coast_Main_Line_Map.png

Thanks again.

I know a previous comment by someone of using google was said slightly tongue in cheek but if you use Bing maps in Ordnance Survey view you can measure distances following any route you choose - they don't have to follow roads - just click from point to point and it tells you the distance.  You can measure roads or across country, the choice is yours. 

Can't help with the East Coast Main Line question.  If it has a suitable right of way/permissive path or other path marked alongside it then you will most likely be able to follow those.  If you don't have the relevant paper map for the area to check, you can use Bing Maps as mentioned above  O0

I'm assuming you can read an Ordnance Survey map of course...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:51:51, 04/06/18 »
Reminds me of a story I heard years ago when a young clerk from personel planned her trip from Scotland to Cornwall via a National Grid map thinking that it was a road map. She wasn't  happy with the drawing office staff for not telling her that it was cables she was attempting to follow.
Too little, too late, too bad......

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:03:56, 04/06/18 »
Reminds me of a story I heard years ago when a young clerk from personel planned her trip from Scotland to Cornwall via a National Grid map thinking that it was a road map. She wasn't  happy with the drawing office staff for not telling her that it was cables she was attempting to follow.

Surely she'd be OK unless it was very low cloud.
No chance of crops 'flopping' over the path and obscuring the route.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:20:15, 05/06/18 »

Walking on the A1M - illegal
Walking on the East coast mainline - illegal

Both pretty dangerous too, if you live the police will pick you up.

20 days still ambitious. My time walking 20+ miles per day from just west of Edinburgh to Bath on JOGLE - which is a similar distance on the map but probably more direct was 28 days (with a dog).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy