Author Topic: Whitby to Robin Hoods Bay via the Cleveland Way.  (Read 9572 times)

Yorkshirewalker26

Re: Whitby to Robin Hoods Bay via the Cleveland Way.
« Reply #15 on: 21:28:15, 18/09/16 »
I can thoroughly recommend the cinder track path from Ravenscar to Whitby - 12 miles'ish of nice, gentle, easy going, often scenic walking.  Setting off early on a Sunday morning meant I missed most of the crowds and landed in Whitby just in time for a late breakfast/early lunch :D .

Oh thanks, will have to check that out!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:35:19, 18/09/16 »
A good circular route from Ravenscar sees you walk along the Cinder Track to Robin Hoods Bay and then along the Cleveland Way coastal path back to Ravenscar, about 12/13 miles round trip.

You can obviously do it the other way or start at RHB but parking at Ravenscar is free and you have to pay at RHB unless it's in the winter months  O0

LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:50:07, 02/10/16 »
Just going to have a stroll along the coast from RHB to Whitby tomorrow. Not familiar with the cinder track but sounds good to make it a circular walk. Presume it is the old railway line. Where do you pick it up in Whitby having dropped down from the Abbey?

John

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:07:43, 02/10/16 »
Just going to have a stroll along the coast from RHB to Whitby tomorrow. Not familiar with the cinder track but sounds good to make it a circular walk. Presume it is the old railway line. Where do you pick it up in Whitby having dropped down from the Abbey?

John

When you drop down from the Abbey, go through the town and over the bridge where the harbour is and turn left, towards the station. At the station roundabout go straight on, the station should be on your left. This road climbs up for a bit until it reaches a small roundabout. You want to walk slightly to the right and then cross over into a road called Southend Gardens and walk 100 yards or so up this hill and you'll then see a tunnel ahead of you (old railway bridge) and steps to the left of it, climb these and you're at the start of the Cinder track, hope that helps. Here's a screen shot of the route.

« Last Edit: 17:13:39, 02/10/16 by bricam2096 »

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 23:10:35, 02/10/16 »
Thanks Brian,
Looks to be good weather tomorrow. First time out since the SWCP. My mate enjoys bird watching and wanted to do a coast walk; so the cinder track at least gives us a circular route

John

Charlieslater

« Reply #20 on: 10:39:28, 07/04/17 »
I walk Whitby to Scarborough once a month or so. Much prefer the Cleveland Way over the cinder track. Always get blisters on the track, never found out why. also if the tide is right I walk along the beach and put the world to rights with the Seals at Ravenscar. Also find (although a bit off topic) the cinder track is just a ball ache as it enters Scarborough. Goes on forever through housing estates and playing fields. Makes the thirty pints at the end go down well though.
53 years old=only 4 more world cups/Olympic games.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:09:58, 09/04/17 »
I walk Whitby to Scarborough once a month or so. Much prefer the Cleveland Way over the cinder track. Always get blisters on the track, never found out why. also if the tide is right I walk along the beach and put the world to rights with the Seals at Ravenscar. Also find (although a bit off topic) the cinder track is just a ball ache as it enters Scarborough. Goes on forever through housing estates and playing fields. Makes the thirty pints at the end go down well though.

When I do the Cinder Track and want to miss out the boring end bit, I usually cut down a path about the Hayburn Wyke Inn down to the Cleveland Way but usually I'm heading to the train station anyway and grab something for my tea at the Sainsbury's at the Scarborough end.

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy