Author Topic: Hill skills: how to take your dog walking  (Read 1533 times)

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
Hill skills: how to take your dog walking
« on: 15:05:36, 21/01/13 »
Hill skills: how to take your dog walking

A article on another walking site which might interest dog walkers on here if they have not seen it. :)

If you’re reading this, the chances are that you love a walk in the mountains, and your reasons are probably as varied as the terrain. Perhaps it’s for the solitude, to put everyday life into perspective; maybe it’s for the physical challenge or the social aspect of being out with like-minded people. But I suspect our underlying reasons are more primitive: the basic human need to wander free in wild places.

Why take a dog?For me, the pleasure of being on the hills is accentuated by having my four-legged friend with me; I enjoy the shared experience, the company and the joint feeling of tiredness as we sit by the fire at the end of the day. But, I equally appreciate that other hill-goers see my dog as a nuisance, intruding on the reasons that they have escaped to the mountains.

I’m now on my third dog: a collie called Skye. She’s nearly two – I got her at six weeks, with the express intention of training her as a mountain rescue search dog. I’ve been a member of SARDA (Search and Rescue Dogs Association) Wales for over  two years and she’s progressing nicely with her training. I also work as a mountaineering Instructor, so whilst running hill-walking or scrambling courses I check with my clients to make sure they are OK with dogs before she comes to work with me.

Controlling your dog
http://www.thebmc.co.uk/hill-skills-how-to-take-your-dog-walking?s=3

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy