Author Topic: Just saying hello  (Read 2172 times)

Latestarter

Just saying hello
« on: 21:26:20, 29/12/20 »
Hi
As my username suggests, I’m new to adventure walking/hiking but it’s something that I would very much like to start doing. Now that the kids have flown the nest, I’m enjoying doing things just for me, things that I have been putting off for too long. Walking is one of those things. Is there ever a point at which it’s too late to start?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Just saying hello
« Reply #1 on: 21:45:28, 29/12/20 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Where are you based and where are you planning to walk.
In answer to your question, no it's never too late to start.

Latestarter

« Reply #2 on: 21:56:52, 29/12/20 »
Hi. I’m in Shropshire and ultimately, I’d like to trek to Machu Picchu but given that international travel is off the menu right now, I’m looking for ideas for manageable walks in the U.K.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:58:19, 29/12/20 »
Welcome, enjoy the group.
It's all uphill from here.

Latestarter

« Reply #4 on: 22:03:56, 29/12/20 »
Thank you  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:04:21, 30/12/20 »
Welcome to the forum from the southern edge of the Lake District :)

In answer to your question - as long as you can put one foot in front of the other, then no, never too late. Just gradually build up the distances.

PS - when I regularly did Parkruns in Orkney a couple of years ago, we had a participant in the 85-90 age group.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Latestarter

« Reply #6 on: 10:11:40, 30/12/20 »
Thanks Richard.

I’m not quite that late at starting but it’s good to know that I still have plenty of time to get going.

I really fancy walking Hadrian’s Wall. I’m told it’s mostly accessible with a reasonable level of fitness and since it’s well signposted, I’m less likely to get lost  ::)

I don’t run but I do walk an average of around six miles a day (on level ground). Park run is on my ‘to-do list’ once things return to normal.

What is the best time of year to tackle HW?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:27:39, 30/12/20 »
Welcome from Lincolnshire.
Have a great time testing yourself on Hadrians Wall.

Just, as its your first biggun for a while, don't bite off more than you can chew. The thing about distance walking is that even the fittest of people can struggle with their heads after a while.

Too little, too late, too bad......

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:33:10, 30/12/20 »
Hi Latecomer and Welcome from a fellow Salopian. I suppose I was a latecomer 20 or so years ago, though I did have decade of mountaineering/rock climbing as grounding from my early life, this gave me an insight to the variety of walking potential in our county, plenty of ways to build up skills from the terrain on our doorstep and become familiar with your abilities before committing to far off challenges.
Where in Shropshire are you, I grew up in the shadow of Haughmond Hill, have lived on the Stiperstones and am now in the county town once called Salop.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Latestarter

« Reply #9 on: 11:38:27, 30/12/20 »
I’m quite near to Haughmond Hill and often walk the dog there but I’m relatively new to the area and therefore not familiar with other walks nearby. My inability to read a map also hampers my ambitions somewhat  :D

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:53:40, 30/12/20 »
Then you are in an excellent area to learn to read a map, most important part of a walk is interpreting the route you have walked afterwards, I call it my debrief, the more you do this, the more familiar you will become with the information the map is giving you.
An easy way to start is to pinch screen shots off line and print them, try and find Queen Eleanor's Bower on Haughmond. If you don't already know it, sadly it is no longer the beautiful place it was 60 years ago, but there is enough there to understand how the terrain gave it such a romantic name.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Latestarter

« Reply #11 on: 12:05:27, 30/12/20 »
Challenge accepted, I’ll give it a go  O0

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:10:44, 30/12/20 »
Welcome to the forum from Aberdeenshire

Swty

« Reply #13 on: 12:35:07, 30/12/20 »
Hello I have just started myself welcome and enjoy.

Latestarter

« Reply #14 on: 12:49:53, 30/12/20 »
Thank you both x

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy