Author Topic: Guide Books with Viewfinder/Horizon/Panorama Drawings  (Read 414 times)

iain150

I know that the Wainwright books for the Lakes include superb viewfinder drawings, and in some cases horizon sketches, which are invaluable for getting to know what hills you are looking at when the actually reach the top (so that's what anyone standing beside a trig point, turning in a circle and frequently glancing down at the book they are holding is doing) but ...

does anyone know of any guide books with similar sketches/drawings for other areas such as the Pennines, Dales and Snowdonia ?

I have used Jonathan de Ferranti's excellent www.viewfinderpanoramas.org [nofollow] where you can print out computer generated panoramas but would really like to find some books showing the same things.

Any help appreciated (it's just an excuse to buy more books I suppose ....)

joester

• Veteran Member
Re: Guide Books with Viewfinder/Horizon/Panorama Drawings
« Reply #1 on: 19:17:42, 15/06/11 »
W.A Poucher's 'The Welsh Peaks' has hand-annotated photos with the names of various summits marked that can be seen from various 'aspects' of the routes he describes.  He also refers many times in the text to what can be seen in various directions.

However, he doesn't tend to explain what some little lump or bump in the far distance might be.

I don't know if it's still in print but it shouldn't be hard to get a copy.
His language is amusingly dated, but is also exceptionally well structured and its great to see that the routes haven't changed a jot in 50 years.  It's worth getting hold of for those reasons alone.
solvitur ambulando

iain150

Re: Guide Books with Viewfinder/Horizon/Panorama Drawings
« Reply #2 on: 12:49:10, 16/06/11 »
Ta Joester, I remember having WAP's book on the Pennines/Dales but don't recall there being much in the way of annotated photos other than as you say the obvious ones. I'll try and get a copy of the Welsh book even if just for the collection !

As you say though, it's the bumps that you really want to put a name to, maybe Mr de Ferranti's panoramas will be the most comprehensive for this but I do like books ..... 

Cheers

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy