Author Topic: Smelly rucksack straps  (Read 2633 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Smelly rucksack straps
« on: 13:36:48, 26/10/18 »
My rucksack straps stink to high heaven and after wearing it, it makes me stink too. I'm going to buy some anti-bacterial spray to see if that stops it smelling but I wondered if this is a common problem and what others did about it? Maybe anti-bacterial spray isn't the best solution?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Smelly rucksack straps
« Reply #1 on: 13:50:31, 26/10/18 »
If you've got some Nikwax Tech Wash handy give the straps a good soak and scrub in some hand hot water.

It seems to shift most stuff including the bacteria infested stinky insides of boots.  ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:17:00, 26/10/18 »
My rucksack straps stink to high heaven and after wearing it, it makes me stink too. I'm going to buy some anti-bacterial spray to see if that stops it smelling but I wondered if this is a common problem and what others did about it? Maybe anti-bacterial spray isn't the best solution?
I have the same problem, I can find my rucksack with the lights out!  I have found three solutions:
1.  The idle one - leave your rucksack alone for an extended period so the bugs starve to death and the odorous chemicals oxidise.
2.  Buy a new rucksack.  This can be combined with solution #1 allowing you to rotate rucksacks.
3.  Empty your pack and wash it with Tech Wash in the bath.  Mind you it can take ages to dry and management plays merry hell about the mess.
Your choice.

As a chemist I can tell you that a spray with a dilute bleach solution will deodorise the straps too but it may not do the water repellent coating, stitching, fabric or the dye any good.  I have never had the bottle to test this hypothesis.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:26:44, 26/10/18 »
Thanks guys. You both recommend Nikwax Tech Wash so I'm going to try the anti-bacterial spray first (as it's more convenient to purchase) and if that doesn't work I'll try Nikwax Tech Wash. As a chemist ninthace, can you think of any reason I shouldn't use anti-bacterial spray?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:30:48, 26/10/18 »
Thanks guys. You both recommend Nikwax Tech Wash so I'm going to try the anti-bacterial spray first (as it's more convenient to purchase) and if that doesn't work I'll try Nikwax Tech Wash. As a chemist ninthace, can you think of any reason I shouldn't use anti-bacterial spray?
If it is intended to treat fabrics then it ought to be fine,  if it is for anything else then I would have to read the label to have a fighting chance.
By the bye, do not confuse deodorants with anti bacterial sprays - they do different things.  Hope your spray is odourless or you could swap one problem for another.
« Last Edit: 15:34:24, 26/10/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:47:25, 26/10/18 »
If it is intended to treat fabrics then it ought to be fine,  if it is for anything else then I would have to read the label to have a fighting chance.

No I was just going to use whatever they sold at B&M for kitchens and the ilk, I figured the smell is caused by bacteria so that should clean it and kill the smell in the process. Perhaps I'll follow your advice and plump for the Nikwax Tech Wash instead if it might damage my rucksack; I had thought it was a rubbery-type material on the strap but upon inspecting it, it's some sort of absorbent fabric (why didn't they make it a rubbery type of material that's easy to clean?).

By the bye, do not confuse deodorants with anti bacterial sprays - they do different things.  Hope your spray is odourless or you could swap one problem for another.

I've got boot deodorant, that might work? I'm sceptical though as it only solves the problem in boots for a short while then you have to do it again.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:55:02, 26/10/18 »
I think you'll have much better results if you try to wash out the bacteria or whatever else might be causing the smell rather than covering it over with a spray.

You can buy a 100ml sachet from eBay for £1.99 delivered or from your local Go Outdoors in various sizes.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:59:58, 26/10/18 »
You can buy a 100ml sachet from eBay for £1.99 delivered or from your local Go Outdoors in various sizes.

I'll pick it up from Go Outdoors on Sunday. Thanks kinkyboots.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:22:29, 26/10/18 »
You can sterilize things with a decent belt of microwaves but the object should not have any metal in it or it goes all sparkly and catches fire.  I have used it for jars of beans to kill weevils.  Of course you would be hard put to get a rucksack into a domestic microwave but if you had a mate with a radar set..........
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:56:25, 26/10/18 »
You can sterilize things with a decent belt of microwaves but the object should not have any metal in it or it goes all sparkly and catches fire.  I have used it for jars of beans to kill weevils.  Of course you would be hard put to get a rucksack into a domestic microwave but if you had a mate with a radar set..........

My rucksack has metal zips so even if I could fit it in a microwave it would arc. I don't have a mate with a radar set unfortunately so it's Tech Wash for me.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:02:21, 26/10/18 »
I just squish mine about in a bathtub of warm water and laundry detergent with a final rinse of fabric softener.  No reason why you couldn't do that with just the straps I don't suppose.  Add a bit of Dettol or Zoflora for anti-bacterial action.  I wouldn't use bleach unless you like a tie-dye effect.

Hang it on the washing line to drip dry and job's a good 'un.

Thedogsmother

« Reply #11 on: 21:41:48, 26/10/18 »
I just dunk mine up and down in the bath with a scoop of soda crystals which are cheap enough. Don’t know if it is recommended but it works for me and doesn’t take much effort.

Chris954

« Reply #12 on: 22:38:16, 30/10/18 »
as a motorcyclist, when my gloves get a bit sweaty and stinky I put them in the freezer for a couple of days.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:04:03, 31/10/18 »

I have to confess that I have never even considered washing a rucksack; not noticed the straps being particularly smelly.

Fabric boots, however, are on a par with wet trainers - disgusting. After the failure of my last pair, I have decided to give up on them altogether and stick to leather, even if it means paying a bit more.

..and as for my Buff; it stinks! (but at least it is easy to wash).
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:02:42, 31/10/18 »
I have just spent half an hour neurotically sniffing rucksack straps.  They seem ok, but maybe it helps that I have an embarrassing number of rucksacks of various ages and can rotate them a bit. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy