Author Topic: Boots dilemma, advice please.. Update  (Read 8630 times)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Boots dilemma, advice please.. Update
« Reply #15 on: 13:44:38, 07/11/18 »
Try slackening the laces a little on the lower section of the boot and see if it helps - they must not be too tight (second video below shows you the correct tension to have). Sometimes something as simple as wearing a slightly thinner sock may make all the difference to the fit.

Here's a couple of YouTube videos on boot fitting at home which may help you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv-sS8P0JPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYivcWR4hVk

Do not be tempted to wear them outside until you are 100% happy with the fit or you will have absolutely no chance of being able to return them.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:53:21, 07/11/18 »
So here's an update. I purchased the Scarpas from go outdoors for £108 with the 30 day trial as I'm not totally sure on the fit. They are fine back to front and side to side but I'm feeling a little pressure on the back area of the top of my toes, is this normal in a new boot or is there a particular issue with sizing that could be causing this?

Really?  £108?  Showing as £198 on their web site.  Might take a punt at £108!
Where there's a will ...

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:59:07, 07/11/18 »
Really?  £108?  Showing as £198 on their web site.  Might take a punt at £108!

Go Outdoors price match to here https://www.snowandrock.com/p/scarpa-men-s-delta-gore-tex-active-B1122414.html which reduces the price down to £108 (posted earlier in this thread and I think it may also have been posted in the bargain thread).

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:57:19, 07/11/18 »
Good spot. Missed that  O0
Where there's a will ...

rockhopper353

« Reply #19 on: 16:14:32, 07/11/18 »
Go Outdoors price match to here https://www.snowandrock.com/p/scarpa-men-s-delta-gore-tex-active-B1122414.html which reduces the price down to £108 (posted earlier in this thread and I think it may also have been posted in the bargain thread).

Yes the price match Is a huge difference to what price they are selling at 👍

rockhopper353

« Reply #20 on: 16:19:26, 07/11/18 »
Try slackening the laces a little on the lower section of the boot and see if it helps - they must not be too tight (second video below shows you the correct tension to have). Sometimes something as simple as wearing a slightly thinner sock may make all the difference to the fit.

Here's a couple of YouTube videos on boot fitting at home which may help you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv-sS8P0JPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYivcWR4hVk

Do not be tempted to wear them outside until you are 100% happy with the fit or you will have absolutely no chance of being able to return them.

Thanks for the links I'll have a look  I did try loosening the laces at the toe end of the boots and it did seem better but still a little pressure but unsure if I just need to break them in as they felt fine everywhere else just that area on top at the back of the toes. Not sure if a wider fitting boot or one with more volume would help, unfortunately the only other size 13 leather boots they had were Scarpas as well. I may still head to Taunton leisure on Saturday to try the Altberg boots to see if the fit with those feels any different.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:58:06, 07/11/18 »
If the Scarpa Delta's don't feel comfortable after loosening the laces and trying a thinner sock the chances are that the fit will not improve over time and they're probably not the boot for your feet and it's time to return them.

If you go looking at the Altberg's make sure you get properly measured to establish exactly what size and width fitting you require in a boot. Altberg's fitting system is very close fitting and it's too close for some people. It's not uncommon for some people to have to go up a full size on normal and increase the width fitting to achieve a comfortable fit.

Being an uncommon size and to save a wasted journey it would be a good idea to phone before you go to check what actual stock and width fittings in size 13, 13½ or 14  they have available.

Despite having 5 width fittings the standard last used on the Tethera doesn't suit everone. If that's the case for you have look at the similar Nordkapp (A-Forme last) and Kisdon (G-Fit last) boots.

Taunton Leisure's website is currently showing sizes 13 and 14 in the medium width Tethera in stock and sizes 13 and 14 in the wide width Tethera in stock but only up to size 12 available in both the Nordkapp and Kisdon.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:19:01, 07/11/18 »
So here's an update. I purchased the Scarpas from go outdoors for £108 with the 30 day trial as I'm not totally sure on the fit. They are fine back to front and side to side but I'm feeling a little pressure on the back area of the top of my toes, is this normal in a new boot or is there a particular issue with sizing that could be causing this?

If you have issues just walking around the house, then they are likely to cause you serious grief on a long walk. I would send them back pronto - just not worth chancing it.

PS - I bought some new leather boots recently; for year round use below the snow line - Grisport Peaklander, for £80. I am pleased with them; they fit my wide feet well. https://www.grisport.co.uk/walking-boots-c78/peaklander-brown-p927
« Last Edit: 17:23:54, 07/11/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

rockhopper353

« Reply #23 on: 18:43:16, 07/11/18 »
If the Scarpa Delta's don't feel comfortable after loosening the laces and trying a thinner sock the chances are that the fit will not improve over time and they're probably not the boot for your feet and it's time to return them.

If you go looking at the Altberg's make sure you get properly measured to establish exactly what size and width fitting you require in a boot. Altberg's fitting system is very close fitting and it's too close for some people. It's not uncommon for some people to have to go up a full size on normal and increase the width fitting to achieve a comfortable fit.

Being an uncommon size and to save a wasted journey it would be a good idea to phone before you go to check what actual stock and width fittings in size 13, 13½ or 14  they have available.

Despite having 5 width fittings the standard last used on the Tethera doesn't suit everone. If that's the case for you have look at the similar Nordkapp (A-Forme last) and Kisdon (G-Fit last) boots.

Taunton Leisure's website is currently showing sizes 13 and 14 in the medium width Tethera in stock and sizes 13 and 14 in the wide width Tethera in stock but only up to size 12 available in both the Nordkapp and Kisdon.

You really are a wealth of knowledge, could do with you in the shop with me 😁
I think that you are probably right about the Scarpas not being right, although I'm wondering if the shape of my foot isn't going to be particularly suitable for the firmer style of leather boot as the fit overall feels fine it's just the area on top of the foot at the back of my toes, particularly on the left foot which is slightly larger than my right.
I did have a fitting for boots a few years ago and I seem to remember that I was recommended a 14 on the left foot and 13 on the right. I'll see how I get on at Taunton leisure but if no luck there I may have to rethink on the boot style.
Many thanks for taking the time to check the stock levels for me and all the insightful information.

rockhopper353

« Reply #24 on: 18:48:50, 07/11/18 »

If you have issues just walking around the house, then they are likely to cause you serious grief on a long walk. I would send them back pronto - just not worth chancing it.

PS - I bought some new leather boots recently; for year round use below the snow line - Grisport Peaklander, for £80. I am pleased with them; they fit my wide feet well. https://www.grisport.co.uk/walking-boots-c78/peaklander-brown-p927

Think the Scarpas will have to go back, shame as they are a great price but no good if they don't fit properly 
The grisport boots are only showing up to 47 which I don't think will be big enough, thanks though.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 09:03:18, 08/11/18 »

I did try loosening the laces at the toe end of the boots and it did seem better but still a little pressure but unsure if I just need to break them in as they felt fine everywhere else just that area on top at the back of the toes.

I recently bought some new boots - tried most makes available and found that being 'measured' only actually 'worked' with one make - anything else just didn't fit properly in that size.
The only way was to try each boot.

I have 'odd' feet - wide & flat footed as a duck, one foot one full size bigger than the other, O', and a bunion thrown in for good measure.

Long story short - the only boots I found that were comfortable, wide enough and had a high enough toe-box were the 'Meindl Meran'.
They (apparently) have a memory foam inside which when it gets warms adjusts the boot size to your foot size / shape - It may be Marketing 'hype' but whatever it is it seems to work for me.

I am a shoe size 9 or 10, generally a boot size 10, but in the Meindl's I am an 11.

The largest I can find is a size 12 so it may not be of much use to you.

*** With price matching I eventually purchased then from Go Outdoors for under £150

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/meindl-meran-gtx-mens-walking-boots-p189440

rockhopper353

« Reply #26 on: 18:01:48, 08/11/18 »

I recently bought some new boots - tried most makes available and found that being 'measured' only actually 'worked' with one make - anything else just didn't fit properly in that size.
The only way was to try each boot.

I have 'odd' feet - wide & flat footed as a duck, one foot one full size bigger than the other, O', and a bunion thrown in for good measure.

Long story short - the only boots I found that were comfortable, wide enough and had a high enough toe-box were the 'Meindl Meran'.
They (apparently) have a memory foam inside which when it gets warms adjusts the boot size to your foot size / shape - It may be Marketing 'hype' but whatever it is it seems to work for me.

I am a shoe size 9 or 10, generally a boot size 10, but in the Meindl's I am an 11.

The largest I can find is a size 12 so it may not be of much use to you.

*** With price matching I eventually purchased then from Go Outdoors for under £150

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/meindl-meran-gtx-mens-walking-boots-p189440

Certainly doesn't seem to be an easy task to find a boot you can feel totally happy with, at least in our case, glad you found some that suited you in the end though.
With me having size 13 feet it's very difficult to get to try a few different manufacturers boots in my size to see which is the best fit as I'm normally lucky if they have a couple of options for me in a store in total, I normally end up buying my shoes online as it's a waste of time on the high street.

Im hoping that I find a good fit with the Altberg boots otherwise I may end up having to go with a fabric boot as I don't feel i'll have many other options in leather other than chancing a punt online, there are a pair of meindl burma's on ebay currently in size 13 which I'm tempted by if the price is right..

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:44:03, 08/11/18 »

The only way was to try each boot
No surprise there.

Shoe and boot sizing is a complete and total joke. I truly believe that it is time for trading standards to step in. and  force companies to quality control to the defined standard. ( If there ain't a standard then TS should encourage the Government Department to step in and enforce one.

I take anything from 10 1/2 to a 13 dependent on the make of shoe, I'm a pretty constant 11 now on the measuring tape devices.. It really shouldn't be that way.  It is a total and money wasting time consuming problem. ( oops I maybe should have posted this in the RANTS section.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Ronin83

« Reply #28 on: 19:48:01, 08/11/18 »
Are you talking about the fold in the leather at the start of the toes?

rockhopper353

« Reply #29 on: 20:08:06, 08/11/18 »
Are you talking about the fold in the leather at the start of the toes?

Around that area and back on the instep.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy