Author Topic: My first post  (Read 5244 times)

JamesTaylor

My first post
« on: 10:23:30, 17/08/08 »
Hello everybody! Ok so this is my first post, i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to walking/hiking but its something that really interests me.

Although only just twenty years old i have been on a couple of  holidays within the uk where me and the girlfriend spent most of our time walking/hiking. Our most recent trip was to snowdonia where we managed to make it 3/4 of the way up snowden but the weather got the best of us and my girlfriend made us resume back to the car, much to my dissapointment.

I really enjoy walking/hiking but my girlfriend and most of my friends don't share my passion, favouring staying in watching a film to being out in the open, lol.
Although i like leisurely strolls as much as the next guy i most enjoy deciding a challenging route/destination and trying to achieve this.
I live in northants but i am always willing to travel, i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of trails/routes in the uk that are safe enough to attempt on my own but are at the same times quite challenging. Is there anything local to me that maybe someone could suggest?

Thanks for any suggestions, hopefully this will be the first post of many!

kirbstones

Re: My first post
« Reply #1 on: 11:11:24, 17/08/08 »
Hi James

Welcome to the forum.  Pretty much any route is 'safe' so long as you know what you're doing.  It's people the are not so safe … if you get my drift.  Snowdon is a bit of a biggie for a first effort so no shame in not getting to the top.

I would make sure I've got the kit essentials (no need to go overboard), boots, rucksack, proper waterproofs etc.  Then get a map and compass and learn how to use them.  Then either join a club or look for meets, there are quite often some on this forum or on http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/News-Landing/.  As your skills levels and your understanding of the outdoors environment improves so you'll be able to tackle harder and longer routes.

Enjoy
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:32:50, 17/08/08 »
 This might help.

http://www.tenfootclub.org.uk/

Most routes in England are safe,ie,Coast to Coast Walk,Pennine Way etc.If you intend to do a long distance trail it would problaby be best to start with something easier such as the Dales Way.

JamesTaylor

« Reply #3 on: 18:06:15, 17/08/08 »
Good stuff, i'll see what meets i can find. I've got a compass and an OS map for the local area so i'll start there.

Rock God

« Reply #4 on: 18:19:07, 17/08/08 »
Hi James , Welcome Aboard . Re Walks Suitable For Novices , Perhaps You Might Consider  Some Of The Lower Level Walks In The Nant Ffrancon Pass / Ogwen Valley North Wales . There Is A Great  Lower Level Walk Around Llyn Idwal With Superb Views Of Y Garn And The Glyders Towering High Above The Cwm . Nice Bit Of Easy Confidence Boosting Scrambling To boot !! There Is Also Another Low Level  Amble Up Towards Llyn Bochlwyd And The Lower Levels Of Tryfan South Side And Down In To Cwm Tryfan To Return To The Car Park At The  YHA From Where Incidentely The Idwal Walk Begins . The Views On Both Of These Outings Will No Doubt Wet Your Appetite For More Ambitious Endeavours.  Word Of Advice , Before Any Mountain Walks Always Plan An "escape Route" Prior To Venturing Out !Really Think You Have The Right Idea In Starting Off With " Easier " Routes On Which You Can Practice You Map/ Navigation Skills And Build Your Confidence All Round . Best Wishes , Rock God .

MORPHBOY

« Reply #5 on: 06:47:16, 18/08/08 »
the Ordnance Survey pathfinder guides are a great place to start....I did many moons ago......1:25000 OS map with each walk, full route descriptions, hardwearing and loads of options graded from easy to difficult.  You get about 20 walks for a tenner.

muymalestado

« Reply #6 on: 11:37:53, 18/08/08 »
Welcome JT.  Look forward to your full report from Ben Nevis, or the Cuillins end to end - in due course, of course.
I think this next one will be the top ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy