Author Topic: A lung-full of opium or a pint of cider?  (Read 2286 times)

Oldtramp

A lung-full of opium or a pint of cider?
« on: 09:00:09, 02/06/19 »
Rory Stewart, one of the (many) Tory leadership hopefuls has said that he smoked a little opium at a wedding in Iran but 'It had no effect on me because I was walking 25-30 miles a day at the time.'

I shall bear this in mind.

Next time the GP tells me I drink too much I shall reply on the same lines 'Two pints of cider at lunchtime and two more in the evening have no effect if I've walked 15-20 miles on the the day, so let's discount those from any count of units, shall we?'

In truth the lunchtime ones just make me slightly reckless with map-reading uncertainties.... a bit more inclined to gamble and press on.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: A lung-full of opium or a pint of cider?
« Reply #1 on: 13:47:24, 02/06/19 »
If you are having a 'fruit juice' at lunch time on a big walk then you are definitely working off the calories and sweating it out of your system.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:38:15, 02/06/19 »
Dunno about the cider but I bet he only hallucinated  :2funny: the walking whilst on the opium.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:35:04, 02/06/19 »
If you want a good walking book "The Places In Between" by Rory Stewart about his walk across Afghanistan is an interesting read.  IIRC there is one point where someone takes a pot shot at him.  He then subsequently meets the gunman and asks him why.  The reply was along the lines of "My mate bet me I couldn't hit you at that distance".
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Places-Between-Rory-Stewart/dp/0330486349
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:44:04, 02/06/19 »
If you want a good walking book "The Places In Between" by Rory Stewart about his walk across Afghanistan is an interesting read.  IIRC there is one point where someone takes a pot shot at him.  He then subsequently meets the gunman and asks him why.  The reply was along the lines of "My mate bet me I couldn't hit you at that distance".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Places-Between-Rory-Stewart/dp/0330486349

Great read and amazing journey
I'd vote for someone who could do that journey over several who just pedal around.
« Last Edit: 16:29:26, 03/06/19 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:16:11, 03/06/19 »
Next time the GP tells me I drink too much I shall reply on the same lines 'Two pints of cider at lunchtime and two more in the evening have no effect if I've walked 15-20 miles on the the day, so let's discount those from any count of units, shall we?'

In truth the lunchtime ones just make me slightly reckless with map-reading uncertainties.... a bit more inclined to gamble and press on.

You should try the cider I brew and see if you can say the same. Talking of which I will be officially opening that pressed in November 2018 tomorrow. It promises to be good the original gravity was 1062 when it went in the barrels.

andyapanel

« Reply #6 on: 14:59:13, 24/08/19 »
I have been to some pretty grim weddings, too; I sympathise with Rory.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:17:02, 24/08/19 »

You should try the cider I brew and see if you can say the same. Talking of which I will be officially opening that pressed in November 2018 tomorrow. It promises to be good the original gravity was 1062 when it went in the barrels.
  How did it turn out and please tell me you don't put berries in it?
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy